Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWARHAMMER 40K Vehicles

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Slick work as usual mate, so I'll refrain from putting on my Clancy Wiggum voice and going 'Whaaa?"

:D
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    sweeeet work dude.
  • Knight-TemplarKnight-Templar0 Posts: 0Member
    great work Binkerman, i do love it
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Did you manually place your track links Binkerman or duplicate them along a spline? I was messing around with tracks last night and was getting some real alignment headaches using splines what with the large links and all the sharp bends.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks very much guys :thumb: !!

@ Meph:

Anyone from the Simpsons is fine, .. but Elmer Fudd is stretching it :p

@ DCB:

The track link was duplicated in a straight line with each link instanced, then I took sections (grouped) and placed them manually for now, until I get to Animation .... I have two main links that are separate from the main track on the model, .... One with the eagle & the other standard ..... and because the links are instanced, .... I just make any adjustments I need with the two separate track parts so that the ones on the model update automatically ......

Jas
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Binkerman: that sounds like the way I did the tracks on my rhino(s)... can they be animated this way, or do you have to go back and do the spline / morph method when you are ready to animate them?

Like DBC, I never could get them to line up very well using a spline....
    @Binky: True... that was stretching it a bit.. :D

@all: Look there! *points to the sky, throws a ninja smoke ball and disappears, leaving behind...a tank track tutorial!"

Apparently there's an extra twist in doing it with splines... they use a path deform and not a path constraint ;)
    Useful for Max users I guess, less so for the rest of us. I'm doing essentially the same thing in a different manner in C4D. The problem is not the method, it's the fact that the links are giant and the curves are tight.
    Haven't tried that Meph .... not the tutorial, .... but the throwing Ninja smoke balls in the air ... cool :cool:!! ...

@ DCB & alpha_omega:

Did a quick test with some basic geometry for track, and a spline roughly the shape of the Land Raider ... using the Follow path method, .. If I came across any corner problems I basically adjusted the spline curves so that the track moves smoother on the bends, ... Haven't really got to animation stage with mine yet, .. but just gave this a go ....

*EDIT* Posted a second test matching the track path much better (Post #253) ...

Jas
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Aw, Jas. I'm jealous. I still haven't got around to trying tracks yet! It's one of those things that's on my "to do" list along with "get a life". :p
    Awwww, no hamster :( But looking good on the track motion. Luckily the Land Raider hasn't got much ging on in terms of visible suspension and guide wheels so setting it up to an acceptable production level should be too much of a hassle. :D
    @ Meph & Armondikov:

I've just uploaded a much better version if you want to check it out .... I updated my earlier post with the new link, but included it here anyway, to see what you think ... This is only another test, and not the actual track for my Land Raider model, ... Will spend a bit more time with the Animation side of things once Ive sorted the modelling / Textures ...

Track Test 2 - 2.8mb

Jas
    Two thumbs up from me, that's a neat little animation.
    You can just make out in the last frame of the second vid the sort of problem that I am encountering.
    66356.jpg
    @ DCB:

Adjust the spline curves at the trouble spots, the Track will adjust automatically as its locked to the spline .... and for smaller tweaks, move the individual track part slightly, ... Just focus on the spline as that controls how the track flows .... The one at the bottom will be barely noticable for an actual animation with terrain, .... just focus on that front link / spline problem ...

Also note that your track position is not matching the Ref .... you've actuallly made the track arc tighter at the front than the Ref, ... Make sure the track is aligned properly with the Ref before dealing with links not connecting properly, as this may actually solve part of your problem ...

Probably best to post your tests and discuss any issues in your own Land Raider thread, as that pic would be considered an update, i.e working through and discussing any problems and get feedback on that .... Plus id like to see some updates of her with some track finally on ...

Jas
    Some more done to the front ....

Jas

*EDIT* Pics updated >>> Post #264
    Looking sweet dude, good work.
    Nice stuff mate. but I do see that there's no cutout (yet) for the frontal gun. I suppose this is to follow soon?
    Good point, and the "socket" for the gun does come quite far down so would cut into where that skull glyph is right now. Though I'm sure there's enough space if you just shrink if down and fit it in the space that's left.

http://www.minivault.com/images/Land%20Raider.jpg
    The Prometheus variant doesn't have a hull-mounted turret - Land Raider Prometheus
    Ah-hah! :D
    Oh, of course. I completely forgot about that (and I didn't realise the Prometheus doesn't have one either).
    @ Lord Erisu:

Thanks mate !!

@ Armondikov & Meph:

Yep, .. DCB is right, .... That's the one I'm using as part of my Refs, ... With the obvious exception of different colour / markings, ... That will also include an Inquisitorial Badge for the upper front door (replacing that yellow eagle from the Ref) ....

I made some small adjustments, .. so Ive re-posted the pics here ...

Jas

*EDIT* Updated pics >> Post #274
    It all looks the same to me. I'm prolly just blind. I'd check the previous images, to compare, but they're gone.

Which do you spend the most time on?? the backgrounds or the renders?
    Still looking good. I assume the big guns will be next up?
    @ Lord Erisu:

Was just a few improvements to the new stuff done, ... The changes weren't big enough to have new pics, so I just replaced my earlier renders, .... Not sure what you mean by spending more time on Backgrounds or renders ? .....

@ Armondikov:

The weapons will be done last, ... I'm working my way from Front to Back through the centre atm, ... Then finish off the sides ....

Cheers !

Jas
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking superb, as usual, Jas!
    How long do the renders take. And how long do you work on the backgrounds?
    Binkerman wrote: »
    @ Armondikov:

The weapons will be done last, ... I'm working my way from Front to Back through the centre atm, ... Then finish off the sides ....

Cheers, Jas. I've just noticed you're missing the big stacks at the back so you seem to be just needing the engine block to go on the main body. What about making a copy and adding the socket for a turret? It seems like relatively little work to get two Land Raiders in your arsenal :p
    @ alpha_omega:

Cheers alpha !!

@ Lord Erisu:

Renders take a few minutes .... (for those last two Land Raider renders in post #264 - 5 mins each @ 2048x1536) .. then cropped to fit my WIP pic, ..... Regardless of how large they appear in the posted WIP, I usually render models at that size for WIP, as it gives a good enough quality for the *Work in Progress* stage ...

Backgrounds for my WIP pics vary in time, depends what I do, .. I've not really thought about times, but the actual 'DOING' them takes a few minutes .... But I can spend anywhere from 30 mins to a couple of hours when designing a new layout .. since I enjoy using Photoshop, which has been my right hand tool for the last 10 years ...

I basically try to keep things simple but effective, and interesting to look at, .... So bottom line to your original question is that I spend more time presenting my models than rendering them (for WIP) since I don't bother with any fancy rendering techniques for the building stage ....

The real time will be spent with completed textured models in a scene, along with other visual effects, ...

@ Armondikov:

Yeah, I'm doing two Land Raiders, ... The other being the MK 2 (pic below) that will be done directly after I finish modelling the Prometheus ....

Jas

gxmQ7Vr.jpg