Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DGliese

• kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    wow you guys are good. Points well taken, I will incorperate when doing more tonight. I hope I can figure out what Im stuck on with the mig. Im itching to get it finished just hung up on the landing gear. I didnt plan for them too well.
    ok some more work on the mech including suggestions.
    Ok a little change to the over the shoulder launchers and a little work on the gun mount.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    wow, this thing is way bigger than I thought, its a monster! heh, good progress dude :thumb: I hope you don't get pissed at us for ripping it apart like this, just trying to help you out :) You'll find that the front "ring" on rotating guns is never really that far back but is like right at the tips of the barrels, some examples:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/GAU-8_Avenger_contrast.jpg
    http://www.gurps.larry3.net/SG1/Encyclopedia/ET/images/Minigun.jpg

Also this is kinda of an option I suppose but it would be better to design joints for gun mounts that can rotate in 2 axis rather than just one. This way you won't have to move the whole mech to aim the guns, plus it improves aim to some degree.

otherwise :thumb:
  • star_creationsstar_creations0 Posts: 0Member
    This is some awesome work mate, great job....
    wow thanks for all the good words! I have another small update with additions based off of your advise. and a wire frame for the masses.
    59097.JPG
    i.JPG 180.2K
    very impressive, great job boss man.
    Ok this isnt a bump, but rather an explanation. I have lost another pc due to my dog spraying it. I still have the models the dries are fine. However I have no pc to model with. I am going forward with writing and working hard and getting an acceptible pc running. Running Max on a mac, even with using boot camp has not worked so well. So as soon as I know something I will post more. I will be updating the story in a day or two. Sorry for taking so long to tell everyone. But never fear Im still moving forward. May just have to have star do some more models lol.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Aw man, having your machine sprayed by a dog is one bad thing to experience... I hope you can get a modeling rig up and running soon.

Good progress on the mech mate, I had no idea it was so big. I just realised that it has a very big design flaw though. The legs are space very far apart, if it lifts up one leg to move forward it'll topple over. Even with stuff like gyroscopes etc etc it will be extremely difficult. Take a look at some Mechwarrior mechs, they're a good example of visual stype and plausible mechanics. Their legs are never spaced apart very far.

The AT-ST of Star Wars is one example where the legs were spaced justa bit too far out for comfort. They looked cool but their walk was always a bit clumsy.

Any concerns about stability (with a smaller hip and a wide body) can easily be solved by big, wide-spaced toes and possibly even a bit of a wide-spaced stance when standing still. (think Tyrannosaurus Rex)
    Ok here it is, I finally revived the sprayed Dell. So....I am doing textures for the mech and remapping the wings on the mig. I have started as well the craft for the Sovies that plays the some role as a modern helicopter in the Navy or the Raptor from BSG. Dont know what Im going to call this one yet, but here it is.
    Not bad mate. Although honestly a bit too clunky for my taste. The layout is just a bit too much like the Raptor. I'd change some little things here and tehre to make it a bit more original in shape. For example; thicken up the flimsy tail and have a support spine run almost to the front over the roof to break up the line and perhaps rething the engine layout. Since it's supposed to be helicopter-like, why not try something A-10 like mounted on the tail boom, that way you could have them swivel down for VTOL etc etc.
    I like the idea of the engines on the tail boom, too bad I didnt think of that lol.
    Ok a revamp.....
    Now that's a whole lot more original! :thumb:
    Ah thank you thank you, I shall run with this one then.
    Ok a little more to finish off the night. I decided to try the engines forward. What ya think?
    Looking good mate. I like the engines but just for sake of concept, I'd try some other shapes too (just blocking out) to see if there's a 'magical' combination. (more rounded, 6-sided). Y'know a bit like the different types of engines on Supercobra's, Apache's, Hind, Hokum, Havoc...

One design flaw I see and that might easily be solved. With the shape as it is now you've lost the space to put any doors and since this is meant to be helicopter-like... Why not move the tail up even highet, that way you can incoprorate a rear ramp, much like Super Stallions, Merlins, NH90's...
    Ok I think I see what you mean about the engines meph, what do you think of these ones? Personally I like this look better, but your advice is becoming extremely valuable. And you know the further along on this I get the more Im thinking it should play an attack role of some sort.
    60757.png
    Yeah, those suit it rather nicely.

Good idea on the multi-role. :thumb: I can totally see that thing in doing different duties... general purpose, attack, SPECOPS, medevac...
    Ok tonights update. Got some gear going and a little more paneling. Cut in some thrusters as well. Ah almost forgot started the canopy glass as well.
    60774.jpg
    *coughs* How about any doors mate? :devil:
    Oh sorry, these are only pics of the attack version Ill try to get some shots of the transport soon.
    Ok, I started re-doing the uv maps for the MiG and realized that there are a ton of errors, and it really doesnt seem to fit with the Starscream. So I did some tinkering and some more looking and fell upon the Yukoi 47 once agian, and was inspired. I think tise may be more what I wanted.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    Yukoi 47, lol. Looks quite good, if a tad way too boxy atm. Russian fighters are generally very curvy, usually more so than their western counterparts. And it kinda looks really boxy compared to stars fighter. One thing I'm not at all fond of is the engine, I dunno it just looks wrong, maybe go with a more usual 2 engine setup?
    Ill throw the two engine thing back in tomorrow and do a comparison. And I was going for a little more boxy with this one, I just felt that the earlier one was too curved to look like it was in the same verse as the starscream. What do you think on that one berkut?
    Rounding things out might do it a lot of good. Also, why not put the tail surfaces on two tail booms? Like on the SU27-37 and S37 Berkut. They look a bit flimsy at the moment.
  • this is atually a great design....I like it allot.
    OK. Back at it after my christmas break and yet one more re-design of the soviet fighter. I know I have done alot with this thing but Im just trying to get the right look.

So boys fire away and tell me what you think!
    kborak wrote: »
    OK. Back at it after my christmas break and yet one more re-design of the soviet fighter. I know I have done alot with this thing but Im just trying to get the right look.

So boys fire away and tell me what you think!

That looks even better, love the inverted wing design.

Oh I will be posting the TORK soon....so keep a look out for that baby. i will be using the same thread for the TORK that i used for the Starscream.
    Ty star, should have some more done tomorrow. Im looking forward to seeing the TORK as well!