Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialVideo Tutorial: Creating a DNA Double-Helix - LW

JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
edited February 2008 in Tutorials #1
I just added one more subpatch video. This one shows how to create DNA double helix strands. It works for subd models and high poly models too.
Modeling a DNA double-helix with subdivision surface / subpatch modeling in Lightwave 3d - In this video tutorial, we cover the creation of a DNA double-helix strand by using the strength of the lathe tool and the power of some math and the clone operation. The final model is a clean model that is subpatch ready. The same technique can be applied to a high-res poly model as well if needed.

In the video the formula for the number of clones is: (number of revolutions*number of bars per revolution). The formula for the Y offset is: (height of the helix/number of revolutions/clones per revolution). The formula for the heading rotation is: (360/number of clones per revolution). The number of clones per revolution is an arbitrary number you pick depending on how close you want them together. I chose 10 in this video.

This new video is at the bottom of the list. Enjoy!!
Creating a DNA Double-Helix

--Jeff
Post edited by JeffrySG on

• BrickheadBrickhead176 Posts: 0Member
    Jeff, thank you very much for taken the time to put these tutorials together, much appreciated. They are an excellent source for those wanting to learn LW, it's UI and tools. Recommend to anyone wanting to learn LW to start here.

Posted a reply to this earlier but it didn't seem to take....Hmmmm
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    ^Seconded!

Very worthwile additions to the library of resources anyone starting out with Lightwave should be building up. :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Thanks guys! Knowing that people are learning from the videos will keep me making more of them! I'm glad you're getting something out of them, John!

Cheers!