Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialsSubdivision / Subpatch video tutorials

JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
edited December 2007 in Tutorials #1
I decided to buy some screen capture software and put together a few video tutorials on subpatch / subdivision modeling. These are very basic tutorials but I know that when I started doing subdivision modeling I would have loved to see basic ones like this. Right now I have three new subpatch videos done in Lightwave and one older video I did in Silo. You should be able to use most of these techniques in any 3d application though.

Here is the link to the directory that has all of the videos:
Pixel and Poly - Free Subpatch / Subdivision Video Tutorials

These are my first video tutorials with audio so don't expect too much. I'd be curious to hear if anyone finds them useful at all - or has any suggestions. I plan on creating more videos if people find these helpful.

enjoy! :thumb:
Jeff
Post edited by JeffrySG on

• DAveDAve0 Posts: 0Member
    Good work sir...

Looks like proton has some competition ;)

DAve
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    lol, I appreciate the feedback DAve, but I don' think Proton has anything to worry about! Have you seen all of the vids he put up on the NT forum this past week? they rock!
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Hey great little tutorials!

That's pretty much how I do that type of operation too, it's more the super advanced organics modelling I struggle with hehe :)

Can't understand why people haven't taken to connect, as it's simply one less key to press than 'cut polygon' (ctrl l) which I used all the time, and you don't have to have the polies selected! :)
    Hey Just as an addendum to that, here's a tip for when i want, as you say, equidistant edge loops...

Select your loop, and then use multishift - inset, and put in a definite ammount, it can work on more complex polygon arrangements, though you may need to fiddle with the inset contour type...
    thanks tobian!

that's a great way to add more control loops! I might have to show that way next time I make the next video...

I also use the ring select / hit connect / then bevel out the new loop or use the slide edge lscript to move the loop where I want it....
    ps. tobian: I have tons of videos (a few gigs) on organic sds modeling that I've downloaded over the years... I can post a few if you want to learn more organic stuff. I just don't see a lot of hardsurface sds stuff...
    pps. tobian: there are many great organic videos on this page:

Sharing Technique - Subdivision Modeling
    Yeah I often will, if I need the width to be the other way, use connect to slice them in half, then use rounder in single mode, to get a band of a certain width.. same process in reverse :D

When the organic bug strikes me again, I shall definitely take a look at them.. that urge passed, but it will no doubt strike again, and pink man shall be resumed :D
  • DAveDAve0 Posts: 0Member
    JeffrySG wrote: »
    Have you seen all of the vids he put up on the NT forum this past week? they rock!

They are sitting on my HDD, but I have not had an afternoon free to look at them yet.

DAve
    Well, Proton has been adding even more vids... I can't keep up watching them either. Maybe this weekend.

ps. I'm going to try to have one or two more subpatch videos this weekend as well!
    i got caught up while not doing some work I should have been doing :D

They are superb, especially the Cycler one (I am still a little baffled how that works) and the Microphone deformer one, that was really cool! The more I see of some of the advanced features on Lightwave, the more it makes me wonder what else I don't know!