Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DColonial Guardian

• DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    You know Backstep, your model is FANTASTIC and as soon as your done i hope you would consider doing and ORIGINAL Battlstar!

Your perspective alone would definably be welcome be cause you much like Hobbe have a straight forward view that is really appreciated by members here, or at least me!

Great job my friend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Darkone wrote: »
    You know Backstep, your model is FANTASTIC and as soon as your done i hope you would consider doing and ORIGINAL Battlstar!

Your perspective alone would definably be welcome be cause you much like Hobbe have a straight forward view that is really appreciated by members here, or at least me!

Great job my friend!

I agree!
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    as do I, keep up the seriously wicked work my friend.
  • Cyba_stormCyba_storm171 Posts: 0Member
    Here a couple of images of the Colonial Defender I mentioned earlier. In the close up image you can see the 3 layer armour it uses.
    49211.jpg49212.jpg
  • backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    sweet mother of artemis!
    :D
    I must see more of this beastie!
    Holy frak!, damn fine work there, sir!
    Hmm... Awesome modeling work, but I'm not sure the last armor layer looks like it belongs - unless you like the "scales" look. A bit too random for a mechanical model. And a bitch to find spare parts that fit right. :D
  • Cyba_stormCyba_storm171 Posts: 0Member
    @Hyperspace: I agree with you totally. It is something that looks good when seen in sections, but as an overall theme I'm not sure it works. I have to some extent abandoned this version of the head in favour of something more radical. A redo of the armour is part of the build.
  • gthompsngthompsn171 Posts: 0Member
    @ Backstept : High poly or low poly? I personally tend to like a minimalist approach. Having high-poly just for its own sake does nothing for me. For instance, I like the idea of having very low-detail armour plating and missile launcher bays, then putting high detail in a few areas (such as the radomes and sensor dish) to really offset it.

@ MajorPayne : I like your rendition of Backstept's work. Why do you stick to low-poly modelling, would it be for use in a game mod?

@ Cyba_storm : nice work, would love to see more.
    gthompsn wrote: »
    @ Backstept : High poly or low poly? I personally tend to like a minimalist approach. Having high-poly just for its own sake does nothing for me. For instance, I like the idea of having very low-detail armour plating and missile launcher bays, then putting high detail in a few areas (such as the radomes and sensor dish) to really offset it.
    it's not incredibly high poly at the moment, but it's certainly no game model.
    it's currently at almost 250,000 polys

[edit] added a size comparison
    the perspective makes the guardian look equal to or longer than Cygnus, but it is in fact 50 meters shorter
    Galactica - 1,414m
    Cygnus - 695m
    Guardian - 645m
    MkVII - 9.8m
    49560.jpg49567.jpg
    great work bro! That engine section is looking sweet!
    looks awesome. will the coloring match the other ships?
    yeah it'll be pretty close . . . maybe not as dark
  • gthompsngthompsn171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good.

While it would be cool to see some of these ships show up in a mod, I wasn't talking about that so much as stylistic preferences. I think when people go in for modelling every rivet on a 2km ship, that could be effective, but more often than not its just clutter.

What I was trying to say was that I think detail should be used to bring emphasis to some feature of a model that the modeller wants to get viewers' attention for... Correspondingly, a lack of detail in certain respects is a way to deliberately de-emphasize other portions of the model.
    250,000?!
    thats half a million polys!
    frak!

hey, you,the guy in the back, the guy responsible for this, more pics please!
  • SastreiSastrei171 Posts: 0Member
    Isn't that a quarter million?

Btw, absolutely love the Guardian. Awesome design, and a nice blend of classic and new BSG, imo.

-Stefan-
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    I think it's the new metric math. :D
    haha yep definitely a quarter million . . . wow sounds like a ton when you put it that way!
    I meant quarter, and typed half by mistake, had a pair of insane out of their skulls on cat-nip cats running around like there's no tomorrow, and the cuts to prove it........no more nip for the tazmanian devil kitty....................................
    hahah I LOVE watching cats high on weed :D
    and of course by weed I mean catnip
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    We just got a Bengal and she's never getting the 'nip. She's alreay a spazz without it.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    backstep I've seen your work and by far this is one of your best models its been a while since we've seen uptades on this wonderful ship hope to see some soon
    I know it's a pitiful update, but I re worked the 'eye' cutouts on the head and cleaned out the greebles from the hamman side--yotz!-- I mean starboard side and added a huge door for a raptor to board
    66905.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow backstep she looks great the uptades look perfect can't wait to see more she's a fine and intresting ship
    yea, great job backstept!
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good there mate :thumb:
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    nice update.
    did a bit of paneling . . . I don't know whether I like it or not yet
    66916.jpg
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    ....and there was me thinking you'd finished with this design :P