Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Hey All,
    I took a month off from LW to do other stuff but I started in today on the rebuild of the D-Sail, . . This is a template i did so that I could get a technique down . . damn this is a hard piece to build but now that I have an idea I can get to build the final tomorrow . . . anyway here is the small update . . more to follow
    gp
    45754.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice one.
    ** Update **
    D-Sails are done ,thank god . . . . they aren't 100% accurate but I can live with 'em . . . Ok now it's onward to the center section . . . .
    gp

d_sail1.jpg
    d_sail2.jpg
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    whoa! intense!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    been wondering what happened to this, good work
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    now i know why your sails always were too thick! you added those extendable weapon pods to both sides of them, while they're only on one side on the studio model. so in "reality" they need less space inside, so the sail can be narrower...

anyway, looks great, so keep it that way if you wish to ;)
    You say not a 100%?
    with such sails, I'd say the Paramount sails are not 100%! ;)

Wonderful.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Looking excellent, though you'll have to start looking into optimisations if you ever want to get this thing rendered together hehe :)
    Thanks gentlemen . . .
    @psycho, believe it or not the sail is about right for thickness, even with double sided weapons . . . Tho if you look at screen shots of the sails, you really can't tell which side the weapons array is mounted on ( left or right )
    besides doesn't it look better with dual gun mounts . . . :D
    Guns on one side seems unbalanced . . . anyway glad you like it . . . I think it was worth the time put in . .

@Aresius Thanks man . . you know unless I have the actual studio model in my house I don't think you can do a 100% duplication with just images . . it's impossible you can't see 100% of anything that way. But we try . . :p

@tobian I decided that I would cheat were I could but I want to pump up the poly's on this . . I did a huge opti already so the count of the Habi_ring is cut down to 1.5 million polys . . . . if I do a projection looking at the way I have been going I see 5 million easy . . not a lot for a multi processor,
    but you are right Opti is going to be a catch phrase in parts were I can.
    gp
    Haha, if you need a hand, just let me know. i am the king of optimisation... you wouldn't want to know how many polies my station was if I didn't keep it clean! :D
    repost
    Started building struts today . . .
    There really isn't much detail here and I am thinking of adding some . . see . . . this is where I get into trouble . . . pile on the poly's . .
    gp

strut.jpg
    The panellings seem to be a bit large how far they stick out...
    Not far, I think it is 2ft or so . . . it's a VB preset setting so all the upper most panels are going to be exactly the same . . . the funny thing is, if you look at the production model those panels are like 15ft high . . . now that is too much . . .:lol:
    gp

p.s. what is throwing you is I don't have the panels on the habitat section so it's confusing a bit
    Just ran into a bit of a DS9 production error . . .
    I have schematic plans of the weapons array which state Weapon array 2 goes on the Docking pylons and on the outer Docking ring of DS9,
    However on the screen caps of way of the warrior, they show the weapon on the habitat ring . . . HHmmmmmm . . .
    gp
    ** update **
    fished work on the habitat ring just now . . . I am going to roll with this, There are a few items on it I don't like but overall I am pleased with how it turned out. I optimized the ring as much as I dare and still kept some of the nice little additions I had made before . . .
    The polycount now is at 1,399,701 before it was at 2,534,496 with even less completed, I dropped quite a few items I would say . . .

Anyway 1.3 million is where we stand and onward we go to the center sections . . .
    gp
    45903.jpg45904.jpg45905.jpg45906.jpg
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    It's times like this I wish NURBS could handle a polygon to NURBS better.
    Nurbs? This is in LW, I don't understand?

Anyway, looks superb, and no, by optimising I didn't mean remove detail hehe, but sometimes you have too! :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    aye no nurbs in LW
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    Just ran into a bit of a DS9 production error . . .
    I have schematic plans of the weapons array which state Weapon array 2 goes on the Docking pylons and on the outer Docking ring of DS9,
    However on the screen caps of way of the warrior, they show the weapon on the habitat ring
    always go with what's on the screencaps
    Yep, first rule about plans.. they are never right... ever... :) They are a fantastic resource for setting up the basic shapes, but after that you need to look at photo references.

With regards to the position of the weapons arrays, I think it doesn't help that (I think) they didn't actually put them on the model, but actually built them as separate pieces and comped them in, or at least partially. Bu I may be wrong.

The only thing I find odd about the model, (and this may be on the filming model so I dunno?!) but the large ridged panels look a little stuck on top of the sub-panel structure you made. If you designed the sub-panel structure yourself you might want to tweak it a little to conform to the broader strokes of the larger panels, and give them their own sub-panels too. If not, ever mind, it's just a thought.
    Sweet model and extremely detailed. :thumb:
    @IRML and Aresius thanks you all . . . :D definalely going to stick with screen caps when I can . . . and BTW, what is a Nurb ?? :lol: JK

tobian wrote: »
    The only thing I find odd about the model, (and this may be on the filming model so I dunno?!) but the large ridged panels look a little stuck on top of the sub-panel structure you made. If you designed the sub-panel structure yourself you might want to tweak it a little to conform to the broader strokes of the larger panels, and give them their own sub-panels too. If not, ever mind, it's just a thought.

Dude . . I always always thought about those large panel, since the first post . . . they seem so outa place just plopped on top there. If you look at any of the DS9 models you would see that thos panels are even larger than what I made, they are like frickin huge. I gave mine a 2 ft rise and let it go at that, any more would be crazy . . . but you are right . .

I guess I could cut those panels out of the existing roof, Raise them, then do the sub panel sections . . . that may set the large panel in more . . .
    BTW I did add the sub panel design in . . but that was a tough call. you can see sub panel etching in some of the models and in a screen cap I saw an Aztec pattern so I figured sub panels were on the menu . . . they look good . . why not.
    gp
    Nurbs are the sisters of the noobs. ;) :flippy:

No; seriously NURBS are this:
    Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline is a mathematical model commonly used in computer graphics for generating and representing curves and surfaces.
    taken from good ol'wiki.
    anything that has 'Non Uniform' in the name is just bad . . . :D

So I started piecing together the Core sections . . . with some of the reference materials I have came blueprints with actual dimensions of the section in meters . . . I made square poly's which reflected these dimensions and layed them into modeler . . .

Right now there are some differences in distances and sizes of almost everything but for the most part the model is in the ball-park.
    I figured I would make a dummy model of the core sections to get close to the design, then go back in and model a finished version on top of it . . .
    looks good so far but I am just freakin out over all the different material references . . .
    gp
    45926.jpg
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    ...I haven't been around much lately, but I wanted to let you know that the station is really looking nice GP!

And I'll vouch for tobian too! He does some great poly optimization work! His station model is super clean! :D
    Hi JSG,
    how a been . . . thanks for the kuddos . . I'll keep the optimization in mind.
    that is a skill I am yet to start. :D
    gp
    Still in the blocking phase for the Inner Core section. building this and trying to get the right angles is harder than I thought just using images and screen caps . . . alignment and leveling don't add up so needless to say the grain of salt rule is in full effect . . .
    How does this look so far . . shape and alignment wise?
    gp
    45940.jpg
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    this might help:
    DS9 Schematics
    Yeeehaw; the station get's shapy. ;)
    Falin wrote: »
    this might help:
    DS9 Schematics

Thanks Falin good lookin out . . .
    I have those already, those schemats are close but there are differences between those and the screen shots. I'll try to put more of it together and then see what it looks like . .
    gp
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Looking fantastic!