Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    It's a work of art GP...
    It wouldn't look out of place in an art gallery!
    Bar.
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    the new ones look perfect
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    Haven't had a lot of spare time this week . . . I did manage to start another sensor pallet but did it a different way . . . .

The greebles in the second pallet are larger than in the first section . . . which means I use less of them and use it more space . . . I think I am going to try this approach on the rest of the pallets and see what comes out looking the best . . . .
    if you can tell the difference let me know . . .
    gp

Looks great! I think I like the larger greebles, btw. I think they fill out the space a little better. They leave less open space in those areas. :D
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    You can definitely see the difference, it fills up the gaps without looking less detailed. Worth doing on the other sections too.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Much better. I think you should maybe replace some but not all (no need to be a masochist!) of the old greebles, as the larger one's with less gaps look much better! You're definitely starting to get the eye for it!
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    just plugging along here . . .
    I came up with a 3rd and final configuration . . . I will keep the second config, but the bays on the left containing the first generation sensor designs will have to go . . . anyway here is a more complete update . .
    ciao
    gp
    51402.jpg51403.jpg
    n1.jpg 127.4K
    n2.jpg 90.1K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    THE DETAIL!!!!!!1!11!1!111oneone111!! :p

Fantastic work... CPU melting much?
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, those pics have been getting me wondering the same thing. What sort of render times do you have for basic shots like those?
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    nice. just up and finish this puppy so we can all admire her full glory!
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    It's looking really good. Awesome work!
    Looking good so far ! Feeling somewhat sorry for your CPU and memory :D
    Thanks everyone . . .
    the CPU isn't in trouble at all, 2.66hz quad core render times about 3 mins.
    the detail isn't much, I am keeping an eye on the polys . . so far 33k is just detail so I am well within my limits.
    nice. just up and finish this puppy so we can all admire her full glory!

dude you have no idea how I want to wrap this up but i just don't have the time to do it . . . I get about 2 and 1/2 hours a day to work on her so going is slow . . .
    gp
    I haven't commented in a while on your work GP but I gotta say looks like this has turned into a nice bit of work. I think you have put a lot of effort into the detail and everything. I commend you to keep up the great work!
    **update**
    dude . . . . almost finished the modeling . . . dang this is taking long . .
    I just need to drop in some windows on the main struts and then I can start on the Pillons . .
    The count so far is 4 million polys, but it is worth every one of them . . . .
    Ciao
    gp
    52743.jpg52744.jpg52745.jpg
    WOOTZ! Yay! Finally new updatez~

Looking really good GP
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    You've really made every poly count. :) Amazing detail -- I really like the triangular greebled sections on the outer ring. There's something about the greebles there that makes the station look distinctly "alien-built".

PS: Is that you posting over on the Star Trek movie forums?
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    4 million polys?!?! :eek::eek:

Not a problem! :D The quallity and detailling shown in your renders explain it. Magnific is the least that I can say. :thumb:
    Thanks everyone . . . updates are slow in coming but I am steady at it . . . I refuse to drop this project until it is over . . .
    carlg wrote: »
    PS: Is that you posting over on the Star Trek movie forums?

Yep . . . . I figured they would get a kick out of the model . . . .
    Starship wrote: »
    4 million polys?!?! :eek::eek:
    Not a problem! :D The quallity and detailling shown in your renders explain it. Magnific is the least that I can say. :thumb:

I know what you mean about the poly count. trust me I cut corners too.
    I have 3 fully detailed "Hero" outer ring docks and 9 lowpoly docks to finish the rest. . . None of the detail on the sensor pallet has backside poly's or ploys that can't be seen. I took care of that when I first built them. I will just have to go through the mesh gain when I am done and trim the fat some more. First thing I may do is get rid of the extra added details around all of the windows, this could save me a few hundred thousand poly's right off the bat. plus because the model you see now is slammed together, I have full geometry behind all of the strut section where the struts meet all 3 ring sections . . . so there is some optimizing to be done yet, but I will have to waite until modeling is complete . . .
    gp
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    W00t I had been waiting to see new stuff on this one. Im blown away.
    Quite a few polies then! I am suspecting that the pylons will take a heck of a lot too though, as they have greebly bits too! :)

Great progress, keep up the good work!
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looking very good, it must be said ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    very nice, loving those details.
    Thanks gents . . . glad you like the build.
    I decided today not to sweat over the polycount . . . . it is what it is, I will try to keep it down, and even go in later and optimize some more but . . . . . look at this thing, of course the oly count is going to be high. That hull plating is expensive ya know . . . . :D lets just see what happens. . . . I don't want fear of high polys to cheat the build . . . .
    and so back into the dungeon I go . . . .
    see ya
    gp
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Oi.....already said "looking good" I am okay with the linger too cause you are doing great justice to this build yeah
  • Ghostrider24Ghostrider240 Posts: 0Member
    I am a very old member in a new skin, due to the fact that I lost my account due to forgetting the password to it and the email I have is no longer accurate. Some of you might know me as Pixelstorm ( aka, the very old Training / Tutorials section moderator ).

My question is this:

Are there any existing plans to make this mesh publicly available? The reason for this question is I am in the final writing stages of a 2 hour animated star trek feature, and would very much like to use the final mesh in this film. Please contact me in PM's to discuss this further.
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    Are there any existing plans to make this mesh publicly available?

Beg, beg, beg......
    EBOLII wrote: »
    Oi.....already said "looking good" I am okay with the linger too cause you are doing great justice to this build yeah

what is a "linger" . . ? sorry I am old, and not up on all the modern lingo:p
    gp
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    This is really outstanding work gpdesigner:thumb:
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    at 4m polygones, i don't care if it looks insanly good, it need to loose at least 2.5 million to make sens mate.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    lin•ger (l ng g r)
    v. lin•gered, lin•ger•ing, lin•gers
    v.intr.
    1. To be slow in leaving, especially out of reluctance; tarry. See Synonyms at stay1.
    2. To remain feebly alive for some time before dying.
    3. To persist: an aftertaste that lingers.
    4. To proceed slowly; saunter.
    5. To be tardy in acting; procrastinate.
    v.tr.
    To pass (a period of time) in a leisurely or aimless manner

Ahem.....NO offense yeah?