Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Looks like the Ori-supergate.

runs

na-nana-na-na na na . . *raspberry* :fishslap:
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Ahh fair enough, I get ya! :) Hmm then in that case, you need to go on an optimising drive! :D That's just the habitat ring, you're going to need more memory than I do for the whole thing! :D
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    * raises hand*
    Ummm . . . question does LW do instancing? I don't think that is does.
    I'm not too sure. I did clone a 4 section in layout, but that is just replicating the geometry, bt I don't know if LW does that . . yet.
    I could be wrong, I will have to read . . give me a moment . .
    gp

I think what he was getting at is build the 1/6th or whatever it is of the station and clone it.

AS for instancing, HDInstance is nice. :) Native instancing will turn up sooner or later.

M
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    wow! I have to ask.....what references do you have? I am interested in seeing them
    EBOLII wrote: »
    wow! I have to ask.....what references do you have? I am interested in seeing them

I have a folder on my machine with 131 meg of images, I have been getting them from a lot of people on 2 forums . . . here is some of the stuff.
    this thread#1
    this thread #2
    This thread#3

Plus you could do a search for DS9 on google and get a myriad of materials . .
    gp
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking of references, there are some photos of the weapon upgrade add ons on Ebay. They're being sold in the continuing auctions.

STAR TREK: DS9 A“STATION PHOTON TORPEDO UPGRADESA” - (eBay item 140182212585 end time Dec-01-07 16:38:00 PST)
    The images are not showing, I thought i had to log in but still nothing . . .
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Odd, but maybe the auction has expired. I have them on my PC so I can upload them later. They're pretty detailed pics, so worth having.
    that's cool . . . if they come back up I will check them out . . .
    gp
    EBOLII here are some good refs of where I am at now . . you can get some solid info from these picts.
    gp
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I wouldn't use other peoples CG models as refs if I were you, it'll only lead to inaccuracies - it's like copying analogue tapes, a copy of the original is worse than the original, a copy of a copy is worse, a copy of that even worse etc.

stick to refs of the physical model in the show, it's the most detailed thing there is anyway
    IRML wrote: »
    I wouldn't use other peoples CG models as refs if I were you, it'll only lead to inaccuracies - it's like copying analogue tapes, a copy of the original is worse than the original, a copy of a copy is worse, a copy of that even worse etc.

stick to refs of the physical model in the show, it's the most detailed thing there is anyway

I agree with you to some extent, but some time you will need to source due to lack of imagery. A line of this, a bit of detail, how an angle flows. If you can't get this info from the studio model you have to look elsewhere. Or just stop building your model . . . . So far I have sourced a few angles and lines but for the most part I am staying close to the blue prints and models from the screen shots.
    gp
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    I see.....thanks I have most of those. I was thinking you may have detailed images from the actual model before it was sold from Christies in NY. Same as the BOP
    Been workin' on the weapon sail, this is the 3rd build as I keep having to start from scratch trying to fix all the poly errors I have been running nto.
    These last 2 images are most complete to date, hopefully I can continue on without having to rebuild.
    The only thing I see off hand is the gap in figure 2 that isn't there in modeler,
    it's a pain in the butt when ya have to save out and render in order to see where mistakes are . . anyway Sails are a commin'
    gp

sail_test1.jpg
    sail_test2.jpg
  • psychopsycho0 Posts: 0Member
    the sail seems to be way too thick... modelling is great though ;)

edit: added some references... although it would be totally acceptable if you choose to go you own way here...
    You know I thought so too . . . here are some refs . . . I am going to do a render with it seated in a habitat section . .
    OOooooo dualing reference image . . there should be music :lol:
    gp
    never trust references that are'nt photos of the studio model... i used that one, too, when i modelled my ds9, later i foud out that it's totally wrong ;)
    yep . . it may be a bit too thick, I should take it in 100 or 110ft . . .
    gp

I am using all the images, even the ones you posted . . . The best thing you can do is get as much materials as you can and use them all to model. I am not strictly modeling off one set of images . .
    yea, that's what i do, too... cross-checking is the magic word... still it can go horribly wrong :D
    Tell me about it I see something now I have to change . . glad I caught it . .
    update: here is the skinny sail . . . I had to take it in 250ft . . . Imagne that
    gp
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    looks a little bit too thick to me but its your model mate
    loving the details that you are putting into this by the way
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    They're also bisecting your windows at the moment... :p
    1of33 wrote: »
    looks a little bit too thick to me but its your model mate
    loving the details that you are putting into this by the way

you think they still look too thick . . ? I could shrink them some more but they are really big . . . download that attachment and zoom in on a section with the sail it takes up a good portion of the middle . . I can shrink them not a problem but the smaller I make them the less of the middle section they will take up.
    gp
    ok I took out the old shrinking tool and hit it one more time . .
    this is about it . . it can't get any smaller than that, anymore and it won't be right, in fact it is pushing it now . . .
    the sails went on a serious diet . . . .
    gp
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    looks better now
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    the sail looks more like the series one now, but it does seem too thin compared to the schematic.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Yeah well, I have to rebuild it now, the points were mangled when I stretched it in so I need to start over . . again . . . :mad:
    gp
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Hey, dont kill yourself! You're doing a pretty damn good job, considering the lack of proper refs! :) Keep it, we want to see psycho's runabout in here as well (assuming he releases it :D)
    now that you gotta rebuild it, maybe take a closer look at the marked parts... it's hard to find good references on this...