Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    The 'more accurate' windows are in the mix now, I have to do a second section but this pretty damn close to what is needed. It looks a little off, I guess hull plating and some kind of separation is nessasary.
    gp

windw_test5.jpg
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    getting there
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    that's sweet.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Definitely looking closer to the original now ;)
    working on some of the plating now, maybe that will get it closer, I can't seeing adding anymore to the windows . . as it is that scene is 767,000 poly's, and it ain't nowhere near finished . . . . :o
    gp
    OMG . . I am in window hell . . .
    I didn't like the previous windows so I remade them . . . again! this is like version 4. I think I am going to roll with these cause I need to push on.
    gp

windw_test8.jpg
    windw_test9.jpg
  • DerekDRPDerekDRP0 Posts: 0Member
    This is doing well, Very well.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    You can always go back to the windows at a later date, but they look just fine to me. Though I did like how on the previous version you had some lights switched on and some off. That's a nice touch.
    Updates . . tried some new details for the windows to make them look less like they are boxes stuck on the sides, not in the original design of DS9 but this is my model so . . what do you think?

so far just these 3 sections are 500,000 polys, there are 9 more to go . . . plus all of the back side work . . .
    There will definately be detail packages for far away and close up shots.
    gp

windw_test10.jpg
    windw_test11.jpg
    windw_test12.jpg
    windw_test13.jpg
    windw_test14.jpg
    Greeble-guy. ;) :thumb:
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, the detail on that is top notch. I can't wait to see more.

Are you going to include the pop out weapon emplacements that are stationed along the habitat ring...and in other locations? I'm also interested to see the landing pads, if you make them able to retract so you can show runabout being launched.
    @Jimi James, I guess I should start thinking about the pads now . . as far as the weapons, yes . . . I am going to build those in place, As far as making this thing so it can be animated, I haven't thought that far along yet . .
    I can build stuff, but my animation skill-set is at like Zero. I haven't used a keyframe in 6 years . . . we'll have to see about that.
    gp
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Great detail in those new shots and I like what you did with the windows. Like you say, those small additions make the windows look more like they're part of the structure of the station rather than an afterthought or something that's unfinished.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    I think the level of detail is amazing keep it up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    eeek the detail :D Great stuff i hope your computer doesnt melt :)
    Thanks yall . . . definately have more detail to add, I hope it doesn't cause a meltdown. but I do know there are going to be several objects and several detail attachments in this model . .
    gp
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looks incredible! Are we seeing the born of another "greeble man" ? :D
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Let me be the first to rate this wip: 5. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    Looks incredible! Are we seeing the born of another "greeble man" ? :D

:D I don't know . . Greeblers are a special group of folks here, can't say I belong there but i am just putting in what seems to fit. Glad you like the Mesh . . thanks for the rate. Lets see if it comes out good . .
    gp
    ** update **
    Holy cow, I am in way over my head . . but I love it!
    Ok . . most of the habitat ring is done, all that is left are the weapons systems, i.e.; refit pop-ups and the defensive sails, plus some odds and ends here and there.
    I only assembled 4 sections of the ring as modeler crashed when I tried to save all twelve sections that made up the entire ring. The total poly count of the full ring came in at 2,534,496 poly's . .
    Right now the 4 sections come in at 844,832 poly's so I just loaded that into modeler and cloned it 3 times . . . Object memory was 475.2 meg and render memory was 93.9 meg . . not bad.

I already know where the poly's are going, 454,944 are in the details that are on the ends of each section . . . if I drop those (not really needed) the full habitat ring will come in at 1,196,544 poly's so that could possibly be the outcome of this . . .
    I loaded 4 images and attached 5 more . . . Anyway here are the renders, hope you like . . .
    gp

habiF1.jpg
    habiF2.jpg
    habiF3.jpg
    habiF4.jpg
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Stupid question, but why aren't you just instancing this in layout? You will save render memory, and cut down on the size of the model to 1/3?! It's how I do my station :D

Details on this are great, keep up the good work, but try and be more efficient!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    instancing it would be ghey!
    * raises hand*
    Ummm . . . question does LW do instancing? I don't think that is does.
    I'm not too sure. I did clone a 4 section in layout, but that is just replicating the geometry, bt I don't know if LW does that . . yet.
    I could be wrong, I will have to read . . give me a moment . .
    gp
    I found this at first surf . . . .

Happy Digital, Ltd. - Software - HD Instance
    from what I understand it runs slower than LW but you can get a boatload of detail instances in . . .

NewTek Lightwave 9 Cross Platform Upgrade w/ PDF Manual
    Layout:

Will LightWave v9 have instancing?
    Instancing will be added in a later update in the v9.x cycle. We'll be making the core changes that will allow us to provide instancing immediately as our first effort after the release of v9.0. These same changes to the core operation of LightWave will fix a number of long-standing issues in the code and provide the basis for a complete change in the workflow of the application, including a variety of other long-requested capabilities such as history, parametric evaluation, scene graph and more.
    No, natively Lightwave doesn't have volumetric instancing, nor instancing within modeler, but it has regular model instancing in layout.. I.e. you can just copy the 1/3 object, rotate it around centre 120, repeat on -120 degrees, and voila, you don't need to have an uber heavy mesh in modeler...

I.e. if you wanted to have a squadron of Runabouts flying by, you wouldn't have 4 copies of the runabout in modeler, you'd just clone the model in layout! :)
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, that just keeps getting better. I love that close up of the air lock 'gear'. That's an awesome touch that could have been ignored, but it's cool you stuck it in there.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    tobian wrote: »
    No, natively Lightwave doesn't have volumetric instancing, nor instancing within modeler, but it has regular model instancing in layout.. I.e. you can just copy the 1/3 object, rotate it around centre 120, repeat on -120 degrees, and voila, you don't need to have an uber heavy mesh in modeler...
    yeah that would save him memory in modeller, but I don't think it would do anything when it comes to render time

personally I would just build the whole thing as 1/3, then duplicate it when it's all finished - nice to have a whole station in modeller rather than a section of it, it's a more complete model that way too - if you just duplicate the 3rds in layout you won't have merged points and there'll be a crease where the segments meet
    if those seams do meet in the crevices between segments, then they shouldn't be visible, and I am not 100% sure but I think it does save memory at render time.. only one way to find out.. see how much rendering 3 clones or one full ring takes up at render time! :)
    tobian wrote: »

I know I tend to ramble when I post but if you reread the original post you will see that is what I did. :D the Habi ring has 12 sections, I built 4 of them and cloned it 3x in Layout to get the full ring. I tried to build the full ring in modeler but when I went to save it at 2.5 million poly's, Modeler crashed. I am not saying Modeler can't handle that much geometry in one mesh, but on my machine with 2 gigs of Ram it choked.

I know what you mean IRML, I would prefer having the entire full ring as a single mesh and I will do that, I just need to save out all the extra detail as separate objects in order to get the ring to save on my machine. besides at far shots you won't see that detail anyway . . . :)

Jimi James wrote: »
    I love that close up of the air lock 'gear'. That's an awesome touch that could have been ignored, but it's cool you stuck it in there.

:D . . . you should have seen what it took to build it . . OMG Poly errors like you wouldn't believe, I had them every step of the way. I had to sacrifice tuns of detail on the hatch but I got it in there . . if I see it I will model it . . . why not . .

gp
    Looks like the Ori-supergate.

runs