Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialFusion Examples and Tutorials

ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2009 in Tutorials #1
As I'm planning to put more Fusion tutorials and example flows online I thought I could combine everything in one thread. So here's a repost of two of my older examples and a brand new one.

I plan to add to this thread whenever I've got something new to show. Hopefully this will be a good ressource for all your compositing needs.

http://www.zabiegly.com/stuff/stuff.html

==================================================

Example of a full flow (from my shortfilm Catharsis)

I thought it would be helpfull to you if I uploaded an example flow I did for my final MA animation last year.

I did my compositing in Fusion 4 but as 5 is the most recent version I re-built the flow in Fusion 5. The outcome of the flow is not exactly as it is in my animation but Fusion5 works a bit different from 4 so it's hard to exactly rebuild a flow. There are some problems with it too (like some pixelated alphas/masks) but I guess it can be helpfull anyway.

It's not the most advanced compositing ever done and I didn't render in a lot of passes. If you are just starting out I'd suggest you break everything down in as much passes as you can because it helps a lot to have everything seperate. That makes it a lot easier to fix render problems. But well, as you become more experience maybe you notice that it doesn't really make a difference for that specific rendering to have the highlights for example on a seperate pass but it's just faster to render everything in one image. I only have AmbientOcclusion on a seperate pass and everything else in combined in my beauty pass. You shouldn't do it that way when you're starting out! Render a lot more passes (diffuse, lighting, ao, highlights, reflections,...).

Well, enough talking - have fun taking my flow apart.

How to use a RGB-Matte pass in Fusion to alter your rendering.

Very usefull when you've got multiple objects in your render which are on the same pass. Mostly used for colourgrading this is a very usefull technique to keep the amount of passes you render low. It also gives you great fexibility on grading your final output just right as you can edit all parts on an image seperately. Additionally a RGB-Matte renders super fast.

The magic lies mostly in the "Bitmap" nodes and their "Channel" option.

Fusion Basics - How to put your render passes together

This is a very simple one. It's just combining a lot of passes that your render produced (Illumination, Shadows, AO, reflections,...).

It's how every composite should start. You put together all the passes your rendered and then you add to it. Once you've got a setup like in this flow you can start adding colour correctors anywhere in the flow you need them and loads of other nodes which can make a rendering so much better.

Just a notice: I renamed all my Merge nodes so they explain what they are merging. A node called "MrgOcclusion" for example is a simple Merge node that is merging the Occlusion pass to the rest. It makes finding your passes again for altering them later a lot easier when you rename some nodes to more meaningfull names than "Merge253". There is some info inside the ColourBoolean node which explains what this node does.

http://www.zabiegly.com/stuff/stuff.html

And as always - if you've got any requests of Fusion examples that I should do please let me know.
Post edited by Zabiegly on

• -MerlyN--MerlyN-171 Posts: 0Member
    Hm, links dont work :/

found it... stuff is now on his www dot zabiegly dot com slash stuff slash stuff dot html

Thanks, Matt. And nice website.
  • ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, also changed the links in the post.