Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Kawoosh!

• jasongodwinjasongodwin0 Posts: 0Member
    Silencer01, that vid is so awesome, im about to open max to have a look:D thanks for sharing. i will post a vid later of a modified version:D
    jason
    i like how u have used an avi file to do the water part after...what would be better is to try the effect manually in max, it will make for a better result:)
    jason
  • Silencer 01Silencer 010 Posts: 0Member
    @ jason: I be anxious about to see what your results are :thumb:

This kawoosh effect of IRML in LW is great. Awesome job :flippy:

Does anyone know this plugin for max :confused:
    hmm i am not quite sure how i will modify it..i am going to however work on my own and see if i can get a decent result.
    thanks
    jason,
    oh i would also like to know the plugin for max..lol
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    i PM'd IRML and apparently there is no max version of the particular plugin he used which sux0r's but meh what can ya do
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    guys just look for a fluid plugin for max, I'm sure there's one out there
    hey, i found a plugin, i think its something like wat people want..im not sure..but anyway check it out:

3DAliens - A new way of cg fluids simulation

Glu3D - 3ds max - Plugins For AdobeAR Software - Bedagi.com

looks promising:)
    jason
    it looks very promising actually, when i get it i will have to play with it abit...im not sure how i would apply it to get kawoosh, but it looks good for doing water stuff. so hmm i will see indeed.
    jason
    remember the stargate effect isn't water, it's a gas blasted down into water, then rising straight back up to the surface again, so you'll have to make it movie like a gas, and have it emitted with some sort of gravity, then half way through invert the gravity
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    this is funny. there are so many ways to try it, but actually getting it to work is a different matter. I've tried to use a wind influence on my particles to get that effect, but it didn't work.
  • SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    remember the stargate effect isn't water, it's a gas blasted down into water, then rising straight back up to the surface again, so you'll have to make it movie like a gas, and have it emitted with some sort of gravity, then half way through invert the gravity

Actualy it's air blown out of the exaust of an jet engine placed over a pool :devil:

I have air ... the pool can be aranged ... anyone for a jet engine ? :flippy:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sure, but if one filled the gate with a glu3d particle source, and set the adhesion to high, then moves a sphere from behin through the load of particles, maybe that sphere would drag enough of them with it to simulate a good looking kawoosh bubble...however it is unlikely that it could simulate the effect of air blasting fast into water what makes it look "evolving"...why can't there just be such a nice plugin for max, too?
    Skynet wrote: »
    Actualy it's air blown out of the exaust of an jet engine placed over a pool :devil:
    and air is a gas
    hmm yer, the idea of a sphere or object going through the glu3d thing could be useful for creating appropriate ripples for when a person enters the gate, im not sure i havent really looked at it yet...lol
    thanks
    Jason
    IRML wrote: »
    and air is a gas

TRUE :flippy: Too bad no 3d app can replicate that ... still the best bet to create a more realistic effect would be particles. It adds randomness. But it seems you have to be a rocket scientist to know how to use particles ...
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    3DAliens - A new way of cg fluids simulation

Would a plug-in like this do the trick for the stargate ka-wooosh?

They have a lot of AVIs of water being poured, etc.

Yeah, I know it costs, but there is a freebie download, too

-joel
    Glu3D is a complete plugin system that makes easy making liquids in Discreet's 3dsmax. Glu3D uses particles to simulate the liquid behavior, and a multi-resolution polygonal surface is also generated to display the liquid surface.

vermouth.jpg
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    actually, in LW, it's a simple series of "wind" "emitters" and "collision" events. I saw a demo of it a while ago, LW dynamics managed to simulate it rather effectivly
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Nadesico wrote: »
    actually, in LW, it's a simple series of "wind" "emitters" and "collision" events. I saw a demo of it a while ago, LW dynamics managed to simulate it rather effectivly

It may be a simple series ... but actualy getting it as acurate as posible is a diferrent matter. It's easy to say ... just add particles , wind , gravity , mad cows and Benders :D . But as everyone can see there are no good solutions to the problem (with particles) ...
  • toni_0850toni_0850171 Posts: 0Member
    I have the GLU3D plugin, but dont know how to use it, can anyone help me? I want to use it to make the effect of the Stargate opening
    Sorry for necro posting but i found this thread while working on soem puddle effects of my own... Thought ill contribute...
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    cool.. look a bit like ice to me, but with some more foam in the texture it could be a really nice kawoosh to it
  • SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! The shape of it is spot on.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    That's actually vastly better than I thought anyone could accomplish considering how chaotic and irregular the original was, I thought the calculations required would bring a computer to its knees. How is that done?
    Its just a set of morph targets a raytraced refraction meterial and particals inside it being raytraced, oh and displacment.
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    how fast does it render ?! and how does the animation look !?
    how does it look animated?
    Depending on the res its not a slow render... In the low res previews i was geting about a frame every 11 seconds. and animated... Not that bad actualy... A tad stiff maybe but thats just me beign a bad animator :D

Ill render a new preview out a little later and upload it to show...

Btw IRML I love the partical kawoosh you did
    yeah the problem for me is it's either one or the other - the dynamite fluids have good motion, but they don't look like the bubbles of the show's effect, but if I was to do the bubbly look I'd never get it to animate right
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/nutsy/stuff/gatetestX.avi
    Under a meg Xvid...

I also added in the white flash in at the begining.

Arnt all the partical tools able to use the same force controlers in LW like it is max? Or is it a plugin specific thing?
    two cents: needs to go out further and it needs to be a bit slower. Other than that: fantastic! looks like the "real thing" almost! :D

(curse you and your amazing talent!!!! ;) :p )