Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Kawoosh!

SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
Hi,

This has probably been asked before, but how can I create a kawoosh effect using a particle system in 3D Studio Max? I ask as it is for part of a school project, for which I need to complete this part over the holidays. It does not have to look perfect material-wise, I just need to know how to create the particle movement, so any suggestions will help. A max file itself would greatly assisst, as I would be able to study it and learn.

I have attempted the to use gravity, but the particles seem to hover over the emmiter and not actually cross back over the event horizon...

Thanks is advance,

Chris
Post edited by SGA-3D on
Tagged:

• SGA-3DSGA-3D0 Posts: 0Member
    I assume no one has any suggestions?
  • the Animaniacthe Animaniac179 Posts: 138Member
    There will be not Easy to make! The Original from the Show is non-CGI made, like i know a Hi-Speed Capture of Air there Blow in a Aquarium.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I'd really like to help you mate, but this is very tough. I've tried it several times in c4d, but haven't achieved a presentable result.
    i would imagine that it would require a hell of a lot of particles. or do what the show did!:thumb:
    one idea, i had, was making the emitted particles get a metaball tag to it. at least, that how it could work. you get a blob as a result of it. the point is, how to best control that blob.
    Hopefully there is some one out there who understands the dynamics of Max 7's partcle systems.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I think glu3d woiuld be very helpfull in this...is there any (scripting) possibility to do a surface calculation based on a certain diameter that definates wether 2 particles are connected or not and span a surface over all these diameters...I think I know now why glu3d is not for free :(

//EDIT: I just checked, there is a free trial version that may do it, the only concern now would be to make our "blob" pass through the event horizon in the wanted manner, and the event horizon would have to be some kind of gizmo at the same time so our blob only get's a surface after it passed through the gate (you don't want a big blob visible behind the gate...we need help! isn't there any particle master out in the world? hey glue3d would maybe produce convincing waves on the gate with a wind force in front of it or so...
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    Think I saw someone make that with RealFlow... gonna see if I have the link still
  • jasongodwinjasongodwin0 Posts: 0Member
    hey,
    i attempted this a few times, my idea was basically to animate a cylindar out and in, and round the ends off etc, so it looks like the kawoosh, then add particles emitting from the object and at the same time hiding the object...however i couldnt get it right, and you need a hell of a lot of particles...
    hmm thats my 2 cents anyway...
    mmh, the idea with the cylinder might not be that bad. if you use a good texture and "Point Level Animation" to make the cylinder more "flushy" this might work. don't know, how PLA work in 3ds max though.
  • Silencer 01Silencer 010 Posts: 0Member
    Hi,
    here is a animation of the kawoosh effect. Its not the best, but I hope you like it. If anyone want the scene, just tell me and IA’ll upload it. ;)
    Wow that's impressive! ME!! Me mememe! I want that scene:)
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    yesh please silencer01 i'd like that max file too :)
  • SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
    Ya that is preety impresive ... gotta get my hands on that scene :devil:
    Very cool! I'd definitely like a look at that scene.
  • Silencer 01Silencer 010 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry but yesterday I was a bit busy.
    Here is the scene.
    Enjoy! :D
    Thank you very much! May this scene guide us to a new era of kawooshs :shiner:
  • Gothic_GoatboyGothic_Goatboy0 Posts: 0Member
    man, I must be missing something..what the heck is a kawoosh?
  • SandmanNinjaSandmanNinja0 Posts: 0Member
    hehe I was lost, too.

It's the effect the Star Gate 'does' when it turns 'on'.

The open circle is replaced by a shimmer, then a column of water shoots out 90-degrees, looks all bubbly, then it gets sucked back in, leaving a surface of what appears to be water. But it's 90-degrees on its side, and if ya step thru you pop out another gate.

-joel
  • DaAanDaAan331 Posts: 0Member
    many thanks silencer 01 :D it will be most beneficial in figuring out the dynamics of the kawoosh :D
  • Gothic_GoatboyGothic_Goatboy0 Posts: 0Member
    hehe I was lost, too.

It's the effect the Star Gate 'does' when it turns 'on'.

The open circle is replaced by a shimmer, then a column of water shoots out 90-degrees, looks all bubbly, then it gets sucked back in, leaving a surface of what appears to be water. But it's 90-degrees on its side, and if ya step thru you pop out another gate.

-joel

ahhh ok, I'm going to have to get around to actually watching an episode of SG, never seen anything other than the original movie...which I liked for the record.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    here's a couple attempts I made this morning with LW, the tips get cut off a little bit when they're farthest away from the gate, but that's nothing to do with the simulation and it's a simple fix

still needs some work, especially the colour, but I think there's a good likeness there
    man, that's damn close to the original. some more speed, more bubbles and avoid the overlapping with the gate.
    did you use a special plugin for it or some standard particle FX?
    the new fluid plugin for LW, it's very fast too, calculating and rendering was finished within 10 minutes of me setting the scene up
    They wouldn't happen do do a similar plugin for max would they?
    well being a LW user I don't follow the max plugin scene, you'd have to look for it yourself
    Ah, I see. It's just sometimes they have the same plugin for different 3D packages. What's the plugin called?
    Fluid, I assume :D
    Well...my guess with glu3d wasn't that far away...as the original effect was created with fluids, a fluid simulation may do it the best way :D
    Well obviously "fluid" is involved, but some include things like Real Flow and Glu3d, as before mentioned.