Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-E

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    trekki wrote: »
    I guess that we as users have no chance to get this object. The only get selected user.
    Unfortunately ... :mad:
    I'll never understand where this sense of entitlement comes from. I built it so I decide what I do with it
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Oh sorry, of course you can do with it what you want. It's your property.
    I was just a bit annoyed as I sent you a mail because the object and have received no response.

Sorry ....
    alright let me explain then

it doesn't help that every time a request is made publicly some hanger-on will presume to speak for me with a snarky elitist retort about how 'the little guy' doesn't deserve it - I'm really not like that

I've had dozens upon dozens of requests over the years. I stopped replying because it was always a waste of my time, if I gave out a model they would never use it, or if I explained my reasons for not sharing I would sometimes get abuse. There was even this guy KnightRider who bad-mouthed me all over the internet because I didn't give him a model - that sort of thing really puts you off showing your work publicly

I know you didn't do anything like that, I'm just saying why I gave up responding, no offence intended by this but before I finished the model you had 1 post in 6 years of this thread, now it's finished and you're posting and sending me PMs, that's fine, but can you imagine how many others also do this? I'm treating you the same as everyone else who shows up out of nowhere asking for stuff, I don't mean anything personal by it so you shouldn't get 'annoyed' with me
    aeonjoey
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    trekki wrote: »
    I guess that we as users have no chance to get this object. The only get selected user.
    Unfortunately ... :mad:

I understand how you feel, but I've learned to accept that little unfortunate reality... which is why I'm eternally grateful to guys like Raul Mamoru, who've made so many great models of which I've had the privilege of using before anyone else and JMoney, who let me play around with Prologic9's Enterprise D he made outstanding textures for, before he even finished it completely... a lot of people don't do public stuff much anymore or ever, because people's work gets abused, e.g. sold by others on websites, etc. so they only trust it with a few people, and expressing anger will only make you angrier, and put off people from ever giving the possibility a thought... and I don't think it's so much anger, as it is envy... I certainly have a lot of that...

So, the most I can do is sit back, look and imagine what I could possibly do with such quality models...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, Dave.

I've been watching this ever since it started and for a time thought you had stopped working on it. It's good to see it's now finished. You've done wonderful work here; cheers.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. I understand all that. Unfortunately I can not sculpt well. I'm just only one user.
    Yet again thanks and greetings
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    grats dave! just one request here: more wallpapers (please)! :D
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    I don't post often but when I do
    its to say excellent work. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    So, the most I can do is sit back, look and imagine what I could possibly do with such quality models...

How about learning to make your own quality models?
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    How about learning to make your own quality models?

Well, I am modeling my own SFA drydock... but I still need to a lot of practice, etc. to get to the level of IRML's and others models... not to mention, I'm not a good eyeball modeler, at least on complex things... as for modeling in general, it's because I took off on an animation track rather than modeling... so my modeling skills lack at present, so I either use what I can find or do without, for the time being.

But I don't want to derail the thread.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • overState201XoverState201X171 Posts: 0Member
    IRML, your work makes me wish I could export this entire thread to a PDF I could read and get ideas from anywhere I was...

Spectacular work - and thank you for sharing it's development with us. :-)
    watcher of the skies, watcher of all
    my guardian angel fell asleep on the watch
    the hardest thing about refrain
    our reason to be here
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Words fail me. IRML.... you are a god.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    IRLM, you have such amazing skills, I wish I had half your talent. Would you mind if I asked for some tips on texturing when I get back to my Nova class retexture? Next to the Nova, this is my favorite ship. Great job.
  • vnm51vnm51173 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely amazing work IRML!
    I've been following this thread ever since I started my first ST ship and I have a question: Could you tell me the method you made the intersection between the body and the saucer?
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78651&d=1265818421
    I haven't figured it out yet though I watched that pic several times. I start a new one soon which also has complicated intersections and any help would be appreciated.
    vnm51 wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing work IRML!
    I've been following this thread ever since I started my first ST ship and I have a question: Could you tell me the method you made the intersection between the body and the saucer?
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78651&d=1265818421
    I haven't figured it out yet though I watched that pic several times. I start a new one soon which also has complicated intersections and any help would be appreciated.
    they were simply built separately, if you look at reference of that area you can see the saucer has a recess in it, so I didn't have to blend them together, just a male and female shape was enough
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    IRML wrote: »
    they were simply built separately, if you look at reference of that area you can see the saucer has a recess in it, so I didn't have to blend them together, just a male and female shape was enough

I remember some concept sketches from the old Star Trek Communicator magazine from when the ship first appeared in First Contact and they showed a saucer separation. It was (of course) never seen on screen, but the ship was designed to separate, so there are seams where it would do so.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    I remember some concept sketches from the old Star Trek Communicator magazine from when the ship first appeared in First Contact and they showed a saucer separation. It was (of course) never seen on screen, but the ship was designed to separate, so there are seams where it would do so.
    The original concept drawings included the idea of a separation mode, but when they modified the ship from movie to movie the neck got fused together at some point along the way.

star-trek-novels_seperation1.jpg
    the nemesis model still has a separation line, and I have built it as such that if I ever want to show it separating it's just a case of adding in the details
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    To be perfectly honest, I'm happy they never canonised the idea of the Sovereign-class being able to separate. The Ent-D looked good separated, and I think the original Ent would also look very nice (they amde hints that the original Kirk-Enterprise could do that, they just never showed it). But lacking a neck, the whole idea of separation becomes somewhat messy the bigger the separation planes become... In my view, the Prometheus was, while a nice idea for a warship, a terrible idea for Starfleet...
    @IRML:
    Actually, I mean the method you made the intersection itself, that flat surface on the upper side of the body where the saucer connects to. It does look like you didn't distort the mesh so is it some kind of ms smooth?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    BTW: Where would they put the impulse engines for when the ship is separated?
    Pretty much the only place on the model that somewhat makes sense is this (some game model).
    vnm51 wrote: »
    @IRML:
    Actually, I mean the method you made the intersection itself, that flat surface on the upper side of the body where the saucer connects to. It does look like you didn't distort the mesh so is it some kind of ms smooth?
    do you mean this bit?
    99019.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Just curious did you ever model the saucer separation?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    The original concept drawings included the idea of a separation mode, but when they modified the ship from movie to movie the neck got fused together at some point along the way.

star-trek-novels_seperation1.jpg

Yeah, that looks like the sketch I was talking about. I'm surprised John Eaves didn't include that one in his sketch book about designing the ship. I guess he left it out because it was never realized. If the hull was ever "fused," it wasn't on the big model they made for FC, it has the separation line. Probably just the ILM CGI models (and some fan models) have it as one piece.

The separation plane isn't indicated on the MSD, nor is there a second bridge indicated, so I'm guessing the decision to have the ship not separate came early in production.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    BTW: Where would they put the impulse engines for when the ship is separated?
    Pretty much the only place on the model that somewhat makes sense is this (some game model).
    I don't like that t all. I'd find another spot for the. Maybe they could pop out of the sides or top.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Not that location doesn't make sense at. Completely off center of mass of a engine certain producers call a "rocket" (which I doesn't believe.)

Post 983 shows where the impulse engines should be on the Stardrive. Those (useless) black/gray blocks on the back off the pseudo neck of the Sovereign is the best location. Specifically the center two on either side of the red stripe and there is no need to modify the location extravgantly.

Most people believe that they have light up tech to show that it does something. But Defiant, The Romulan Warbird, the Nebula Class, and other ship frequently show that impulse engines don't have to glow. I would simply change those gray black blocks to be more like low profile vents and no is the wiser while the ship retains it's original look.
  • tooie32tooie320 Posts: 7Member
    Sorry IRML I didn't mean to ask about releasing the model ya did a great job at it.

I tried to make the ship myself but always run into a bump on the road on 3D max I use the saucer section and the nacelles weren't hard to make but I always have trouble making the stardrive. If someone wants to provide a tutorial of the how to make the Sovy stardrive I would love ya. But when I do make the sovy I would make alot of the parts by mesh rest by texturing which are the ones that are painted on the ship.

if you do plan to make the seperation it would be cool to see.
    Yes, I guess that's what I saw on the side view. The rounded part at the end of this bit connects to the body by the black panels on both sides which is intrigue me.
    Merry Christmas!
  • ChakoteyChakotey0 Posts: 0Member
    In one of the "Star Trek - The next generation"-books they seperate the Enterprise E. So its not implemented in the movies, but its a feature of the ship.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Books often go where the movies can't and author's don't often do the research necessary to make that sort of call (especially) Trek authors. Eaves simply didn't have the time to place the necessary features on the ship for separation.

Missing Sovereign features
    -Lateral sensor arrays
    -warp core ejection hatch
    -Stardrive impulse engines
    -the yacht and turret cannot exist in the same location with docking mechanisms
    -insufficient escape pods
    -not one lateral gangway entrance for starbase umbilical
    -lack of aft torpedo coverage (Original version)
    -lack of aft phaser coverage (original version)
    -none of the added aft saucer tube make any sense

It seems Eaves created much of the detail merely off details of the Enterprise D. Maybe he had a more concise plan but it certainly doesn't look like Sovereign had the same attention to surface detail as the Intrepid or Galaxy.