Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

1234568»

• JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    That whale is great, I have got to take some time and develop some zbrush chops.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    OK the thing I do when LW is driving me nuts is go back to basics.
    I don't know Z brush so I can't really help there.
    Firstly I guess would be to double check that each element is on. IE make sure textures are being applied to the areas etc. double check file names etc.
    9 times out of 10 it turns out to be something simple like that or a plug in not installed.
  • monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    As you all might have noticed, I've been pretty quiet in this forum for a while, since My new job - while fun - has plenty of long hours, so I have barely had a chance (or I must admit - the motivation) to sit down and work on the DUNE: Special Edition for a while...

That said, I AM still working on it!

Found better versions of the original concept art from 1984 a while ago and with a better understanding of what is going on in the art, I reworked My model of the Atreides Landing Field to better reflect the design... (It's still in progress so proportions and sizes are all in flux)

AtreidesLandingField.jpg
    90419.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Hey, welcome back!
    Nice work, though I wonder about the water-fountains. If we're on Dune, that'd be quite an odd thing, seeing so many fountains on a dry planet. I agree, whoever built them (mayhap even the predecessors of the Harkonnen) likely imported the water and put them in an enclosed water-circle, but still.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is an impressive project. I just took a look through the whole thread and you're doing great work on it. I like Dune, even if it's not a very popular movie and I really like your models. :)
  • SuddenFrostSuddenFrost171 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Hey, welcome back!
    Nice work, though I wonder about the water-fountains. If we're on Dune, that'd be quite an odd thing, seeing so many fountains on a dry planet. I agree, whoever built them (mayhap even the predecessors of the Harkonnen) likely imported the water and put them in an enclosed water-circle, but still.
    I think that's supposed to be a picture of the Atreides ships about to take off from Caladan. You can barely make out the duke's palace in the background to the upper right.
    Hi Aresius.. you are too funny!

Let Me explain... the "water fountains" as you rightly pointed out would consume a lot of water... not a problem, since this scene is set on Caladan a water world as the Atreides are leaving...
    However, the original version of the concept art I had was A)Tiny and B)Blurry, so I always thought those were giant crystals and as such modeled a set of them!!!!
    Glad you were observant enough to spot that they are in fact fountains.
    Will have to work out a way to make the fountains... the program I am using (Lightwave 10) is horribly out of date when it comes to things like fluids and physics and cloth simulations.
    Ah, Caladan, okay in that case...

Nice work. :)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Given the fountains are at different distances you could save yourself some render time, but only doing a water effect on the nearby ones and make the ones in the distance objects with a dynamic texture on it.

Good to see the project is still alive and well. BTW. :-)
    Well, My Z-Brush skills are getting a little better so decided to tackle the 3rd Stage Guild Navigator... While I was at it, I decided to tweak the design a bit more. In the novel the Navigators are humans mutated through their addiction to the spice melange. The movie creature was interesting and I like the head, but the body basically said "alien" not "mutated human" and since you rarely ever see anything of him other than his head until the folding space scene, I thought that I could "get away" with doing a revision to the original design.

Here is the untextured, un re-topologized version as it currently stands...

DUNE_3rdStageNavigator_Redesign.jpg

I think I may "stretch out" the body a bit... still tinkering with it. Need to add more detail too.
    97267.jpg
    Hey there, nice to see this thread is still alive.

Cool work. I think the navigator is okay so far.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Great work! That looks pretty much how I remember them from the front anyway, glad to see you're still working on this!