Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

• monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes... well... it IS Mos Eisley! LOL.
    Kind of.
    I took the Mos Eisley building collection from over on Sci-Fi 3D and then rebuilt all the buildings in lo-res so My poor PC could actually handle them and stripped off all the domes and did a little customization and made a few custom buildings based on the old Dune 2 game. Could definitely be MUCH better... I just don't have the motivation to focus on them right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Looks like the project is going along swimmingly! I've put this on my Favorites so I don;t lose this thread again. The Guild Navigator model is exceptional and I'm astonished what you've done with those Mos Eisley models.

On a unrelated note: I would love to figure out how to recreate the sound effect of the Guild Navigator's voice in the movie. (If anyone knows how to do that or could point me in the right direction, PM me)
    Well... here's My first real version of the thopter's flying from the palace over the city of Arrakeen and past the spice refinery before heading up and over the shield wall...

Check it out on My Dune Special Edition Blog... its much too big to upload here.

Still plenty of room for improvement but My poor computer is crawling on this scene.
    Mikala (at Foundation 3D Forums) was kind enough to render out the last 100 frames on his much faster machine. Thanks Mikala!
    Hopefully as the project progresses, and I refine it, I'll really be able to make this whole scene something memorable - yet without seeming out of place in the film.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    These are looking great. I'd love to see some of it edited together.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Impressive work.
    But I think this Carryall is not moving correctly through the smoke of the facility. Or the smoke is not perfectly binding around the Carryall...
    Uh.. yeah... didn't notice that little detail until I received the render back... going to have to fix that whole animation for the carryall... kinda did it on the quick cos My machine is crawling on this scene - might bust it out from the scene animate it and then bring it back in so I can work on it more speedily. Still need to detail some parts of the model but you can't see those parts from the angle in the animation... it is coming together though.
    I finally decided to get back to working on the Harkonnen frigate over the weekend.
    I had started it some time ago, but really only had the basic shapes done...
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate.jpg

Now with the blueprints I have really been able to get into it!
    I start by tracing the blueprints in Adobe Illustrator, then import the .eps into Lightwave, where I can use it to construct the model more easily. So far I have redone the main body and some gun turrets that go at the back... next it's on to redoing the "wings".
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate_2.jpg

I am going to point out that since this is the special edition, the model is also going to be for the special edition - which means it is NOT going to have the long tail section and IS going to be roughly similar in configuration to the Atreides and Emperor's frigates... My logic behind this change is that the Spacing Guild uses a standardized docking system in their Heighliners - therefore all ships are roughly the same shape (given some latitude for local deisgn preferences).
    The second major change is going to be moving the unseen and unused "Thopter Launch Bays" from the tail of the frigate, to the underside of the "wings"... I think it will fit three thopters per side... but will have to wait until I get both ships to scale, as I really want to see the thopters get launched and swoop down to attack the Atreides.

Also have a couple of animations in the works... will get them uploaded as soon as they are finished rendering but here's a couple of frames...

Atreides_Arrival_Desert_0270.jpg
    Atreides_Arrival_City_0270.jpg
    74182.jpg74183.jpg74184.jpg74185.jpg
    So I managed to get some more time this weekend to go in and really try and finish up My special edition version of the Harkonnen Frigate.
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate_4.jpg

It took quite a bit of work to get the main hull into the shape I wanted, since it was not designed to be so short and getting all the shapes to blend together was a challenge.
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate_5.jpg

I think over all that it has been fairly successful - though I have had to change many details, but will have to wait to see how it looks rendered.
    There are still plenty of small details I need to add to it but wanted to show you how it is coming together.
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate_7.jpg

You can see the new orithopter launcher doors on the underside of the main "wings"... originally these were along the side of the hull - but remained mostly unseen and definitely unused in the final movie.
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenFrigate_6.jpg
    74370.jpg74371.jpg74372.jpg74373.jpg
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    When you say special edition, you mean short bus special? ;) I think that frigate is supposed to be much longer. If it's the one in the film.
    Yes, I believe they were somewhat a bit hammer-shaped, maybe with proportions roughly matching a Mjollnyr (a Thors-Hammer), so a rather short handle, but notable longer than that.
    In an earlier post I stated I didn't want it to have the long body since it doesn't match with the other ships... My own theory being the guild has a standard docking mechanism... needs a roughly standard shaped ship... If anyone wants to do a full version I can always post the blueprints!
  • xanthraxanthra0 Posts: 0Member
    If anyone wants to do a full version I can always post the blueprints!
    Yes please : )
    Will see what I can do about posting the blueprints...

Since zbrush is a program I have been needing to learn, I decided to have a crack at sculpting the 2nd Stage Navigator head:
    2ndStageGuildNavigator.jpg
    (Pop over to My Dune Special Edition blog for more info on him and where he is in the movie)... still learning though... have to try and create a texture for it. SO here is a look at what I've come up with so far. It's far from perfect but for a first go I think its ok... added the eye and "spice gas" very quickly in photoshop just to give an idea of how it will look...
    DUNE_Blog_2ndStageNavigator_WIP.jpg
    74427.jpg74428.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I think you've got something here. Texture wise I think you should look for something closer to the main Navigator rather than more human skin tones.
    Since I've been playing around with My "special edition" version of the Harkonnen Frigate, I thought I would post the blueprints for the original design over on My project blog in case anyone wants to have a go at modeling the whole thing.
    In the meanwhile, here is a crappy 5 minute animatic showing how I intend the newly repositioned thopter launch doors to work...
    HarkonnenFrigate_ThopterLaunch_Music.mov
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Holy cow! That frigate is friggin' awesome, great job, it's one I wanted to do... but who has the time to model all the sweet space hardware they want?

Cant wait to see more!
    Nice work, man! :thumb:
    Small z-brush update - redid the entire head...
    DUNE_Blog_2ndStageNavigator_WIP2.jpg
    Still having problems getting it to work in Lightwave though...
    DUNE_Blog_2ndStageNavigator_WIP3.jpg

Er... anyone know an effective way to create a few square kilometers of CONVINCING sand dunes?
    Real sand dunes have such a distinctive shape it's hard to get them to look "right".
    I'm considering multiple approaches at the moment... splines? Nurbs? Image displacement? z-brush displacement?
    Any suggestions?
    74764.jpg74765.jpg
    Sand dunes are a real pain in the ass to model convincingly... they are very distinctive looking, and quite tricky to texture... I initially just put a few bumps and dips into a subdivided plain and while it was fine for just getting an idea of scale and motion, they really doesn't look like "real" sand dunes...

SandDunes_OldVersion.jpg

So I have tried a different approach - this time using a greyscale height map that I drew using an aerial photo of sand dune formations in the Namib Desert...

SandDunes_NewVersion.jpg

As you can see it looks a bit more convincing (The dunes in the back are still the original "bumps") ... still not quite there and I suspect I am going to have to hand model some "Hero" dunes for close up work as these dunes do not hold up under close scrutiny.
    74825.jpg74826.jpg
    THopter_KynesCloseup_NEW.jpg
    THopter_UpSteps_NEW.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Wellll... I've finally got MOST of the first half of the spice mining sequence redone with new v0.1 level effects. (Still have three shots left to rotoscope though).
    Starting to make progress on the 2nd more FX complex part featuring the spice harvester this year.
    Owing to the large size of the animation file, I'll have to post a link here.

Don't forget to check out My blog for project updates as well!

Hope you all have a great 2010
    76294.jpg76295.jpg
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Gods below, what superb work!

Continuing on with things, here is My 1st attempt at redoing the filmbook sequence.
    Watch the full animation over at youtube HERE

I wasn't going to touch it until I realized that I had changed the look of the planets a bit so I had to redo those shots, and then one thing let to another and I have redone all the shots, sans the two close up text shots. I also enlarged the screen a bit on first shot where you see the film book - note - the control setup was way ahead of its time: Looks like it has 4 ipod style control wheels - Central button with outer ring.
    There are still a whole host of things that need fixing and improving, but you get the idea of where I am going with this I hope!
    There is also a deleted scene where Paul is sitting on a bed in a room on Arrakis (After the attempt on his life and shortly before he is drugged by Dr Yueh), where Paul is studying a filmbook. The scene starts rather abruptly and doesn't seem to quite "fit" into the other scenes, so I am considering doing a second filmbook sequence that would start that scene and impart the audience with further knowledge on the things they are about to encounter (The Fremen, the worms, desert survival etc).
    77143.jpg77141.jpg77142.jpg
    OK, back to the modeling.

Was reading DUNE the other night while rendering one of those animations and noted that the description for the Emperor's "Steel Tent" included a scale and the number of levels.

"It wasn't the lighter that excited Stilgar's awe, Paul knew, but the construction for which the lighter was only the centerpost. A single metal hutment, many stories tall, reached out in a thousand meter circle from the base of the lighter - a tent composed of interlocking metal leaves - the temporary lodging place for five legions of Sardaukar and His Imperial Majesty, The Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV.
    From his position squatting at Paul's left, Gurney Halleck said: "I count nine levels to it. Must be quite a few Sardaukar in there."

And I realized that the original model I made based on the movie prop only has six levels. So since this is after all a "special edition" I decided to remodel it and add in the extra 3 levels and now the base of it is 1000 meters across (though its not square as there are 3 panels on the top level front & back and 4 panels on the top level at the sides.)
    It's still much the same but I made the beams and joints a bit smaller to give a better impression of scale.

Original Version: DUNE_Blog_Models_EmperorsSteelTent.jpg

Special Edition Version: DUNE_Blog_Models_EmperorsSteelTent9.jpg

Special Edition Composite Test: EmperorsSteelTent_Composite.jpg
    77345.jpg77346.jpg77347.jpg
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That youtube animation looked better than I expected :thumb: The last model is looking cool too. Keep it up !
  • JRL3001JRL3001331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, your stuff is looking great. I like how the animation came out, works well :)
    looks impressive so far. :)
  • Monsoontide,

Even though you now have the HD-DVD version of Dune now, here's some new news . . .

Universal Studios Home Entertainment will release the theatrical cut of Frank Herbert's Dune April 27 on Blu-ray Disc, completing the film's three-year journey from HD DVD to the prevailing high definition home video format.
    Dune on Blu-ray will be presented in its original 2.35:1 1080p aspect ratio with 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and D-BOX Motion Control support, the latter two exclusive to Blu-ray.

Bonus features are nearly identical to the HD DVD version with the exception of a photography gallery that appears to have been dropped.

Deleted Scenes with an Introduction by Raffaella De Laurentiis
    Designing Dune
    Dune FX
    Dune Models & Miniatures
    Dune Wardrobe Design
    Dune on Blu-ray will carry an SRP of $26.98.
    Hmmm finally on Blu-Ray huh?
    Well will have to save up for a Blu-Ray player for the computer!!!
    Would definitely be nice to have better quality video to work from!

I've been twiddling with this for a while on and off.
    Have had the tram done for a while, but the city structure is new. Have to redo the baby faced "oil burner" and spend a lot of time detailing it - it's covered in scaffolds and piping. Ugh!
    DUNE_Blog_Models_HarkonenTram.jpg I had modeled bolts on the structure but the poly count started to kill My poor old puter (It only has 512Mb RAM), so had to take them off and will have to use textures to depict them I guess. Whipped up a little render to see how it was looking. Pretty basic for now.
    Harko_City_WIP copy.jpg
    Going to make interchangeable panels with various combinations of parts so I can quickly build the city into whatever shapes I need.
    Hope to put some more time into it after I move (Yeah... moving again - to LA again!)
    77714.jpg77715.jpg77716.jpg77717.jpg
    Since I am only working part time and there is still a week to go before I can really start packing for the move to LA, I have been spending a bit of time trying to finish up the "standard" Harkonnen ornithopter so I can "Special Editionize" it.

Here's where I left it last time...
    DUNE_Blog_Models_&#7.jpg
    A bit crap really... had only just sort of started trying to get everything in place.

Now, using the blueprints kindly provided by Dune production artist Ron Miller, it now looks a bit better (Even though there are certain details that just don't show up clearly on the blueprints).
    DUNE_Blog_Models_&#7.jpg

Lots and lots of detail still to add to the main hull (Ironically you can't even see this detail in the movie - at least on the DVD version I have - it might show up on Hi-Def though)
    I'm having a helluva time trying to model the large windows at the ends of the main cockpit though - that whole section is really complicated and essentially just intersecting curves in everywhich direction. (See reference pic)
    ORNITHOPTER MAIN..jpg

I am trying to spline patch that part but it just isn't working... any suggestions?
    78707.jpg78708.jpg78709.jpg
    nice work so far.