Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

• monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    So, over the one day I had off work for Christmas, I was able to get some time for modeling & animatics (of which I now have a VERY EARLY thopter flyby/flyover of the spice refinery) and while I worked on a few things, probably the most complete new construction at this point is My Harkonnen Aerial Tram... It's about 85% done apart from textures. Also worked on an Harkonnen Oil Burner (The big face/mouth things with smoke comnig out of them). I'm not entirely happy with it at the moment - the face is not right yet, but its getting there.

DuneTramWIP.jpg
    62785.jpg
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Super work. Do you have the Cinefex for Dune as that has a picture of the Oil Burner head in that !?
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    That is one ugly burner...
    Perfect for the Harkonnen! :lol:
    Glazy... no I don't unfortunately... I was/am going to send away for it but they only have photocopies of that article now... I'm using the one clear reference pic I can find over at Duneinfo.com of it in front of a blue screen.
    Oil Burner Reference Photo
    Have to fix the cheeks... and the nose... and the forehead... and the eyes... and the lips... LOL
    Going to have to model some sort of simple interior for the tram as the windows are transparent.

It another one of those shots I really want to redo... its not bad... its just not great - could really benefit from some perspective shift - though I do like the big "reveal" shot when the tram goes inside the buildings and there's all those green rooms right before Piter disembarks down those stairs... I bet actor Brad Douriff thought he'd trip on his long coat and fall down the damn things... they seem pretty darn steep!
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I like your work to date. This was always one of my favorite movies.
    OK, so I'm all over the map with the various models I am working on.
    Was inspired to whip this one up tonight... you should get a good giggle out of this!

guildnavigatorwip01vb0.jpg

Essentially its a low res poly model intended for import into z-brush/mudbox for final sculpting... there's no way I'm modeling all that facial detail in Lightwave!

Here's where the problem starts... I have neither z-brush or mudbox and have no idea how to use either... anyone know of somone/somewhere I might be able to go (obviously z-brush and mudbox user forums) who might be interested in helping create this?
    There is a Z-Brush forum at Renderosity Digital Art Community | 3D Models | High Resolution Textures | Poser | Bryce | Lightwave | 3DS Max | Maya | Vue | XSI You have to register, but its free.
    I haven't used the Z-Brush forum so I don't know the vib from the people who do. But the Lightwave guys are all friendly and helpful.
    Started watching the DUNE - Third Stage edition fan edit and there's a couple of nice reference shots in there I haven't had access to before. Going to try and finish watching the rest of it tonight.
    Have also been attempting to recreate the "shield" look as a simple texture... it sort of works but I have no idea how they did it in the first place, so getting an exact facsimile is going to be tricky - really need the help of an experienced texture artist (For the vehicles as well)!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Everything looks very good so far - I love the look of the "creatures" in the pic above :D I remember playing a Dune strategy game on PC really long time ago and it was pretty cool so I'm looking forward to seeing more ! (even though I only remember the giant sand worm :p)
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    I simply can't remember what the Guild Navigators looked like :(
    Something vaguely familiar about those meshes you've made though. Like mutant baby rats!
    Great project you have here.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    mikala wrote: »
    I simply can't remember what the Guild Navigators looked like :(
    Something vaguely familiar about those meshes you've made though. Like mutant baby rats!
    Great project you have here.

Here are a couple of pics of guild navigators. :D
    63360.jpg63361.jpg
    Thank you!
    The Navigator was created by Carlo Rambaldi - who is most well known for making ET.
    Here's the Mesh (It's actually lo-res poly's that I've turned into "MetaNURBS" and then "frozen" back into polys)
    navigatorwire02kk2.jpg
    navigatorwire01mb9.jpg
    And a couple more reference images:
    navxe2.jpg
    navigdetaillr7.jpg
    Plus the a link to a whole bunch of them:
    Dune Info: Spacing Guild
    and finally...
    A link to the Navigator in action over on YouTube - In German no less - HERE
    Well, looks like I'm going to be busy for a while... finally exported ALL the frames I need to rotoscope for the Thopter sequence and there's a hell of a lot of them... but it will keep Me out of mischief I guess!!!
    It's a painful task doing it in photoshop... but at least it has the Animation feature now so I can see all the frames in one go rather than loading them individually.
    Will post a few final still frames once I get something to show...
    Original
    Sequence0496.jpg
    Background roto'd out to make room for new 3d model
    Sequence0496_roto.jpg
    63463.jpg63464.jpg
    Wow.
    If this is only going half as good as I thought of it, then this will create a hell of remake! :eek:

Or.. upgrade.. if you.. like.. ..
    What do you actually plan to do with the reworked movie after you've finished?
    Well, it's really a portfolio piece - I've been working in the newspaper business as a Graphic Artist (currently means I'm a file mover) for 8 years and I would LOVE to be doing something else...
    Also wanted to release the models for download as well...
    I'd need a lot more help to do the whole movie as a fan-edit...
    The ultimate goal is of course to be able to re-do complete post production on DUNE for a Blu-Ray 25th anniversary DVD or something... but that's just a pipe dream LOL.

Reminds Me... I finished up watching the DUNE - Third Stage edition fan edit and overall not bad... still plenty of room for improvement (They didn't trim a lot of the "extended edition" scenes they used and it shows - got tired of guards being summoned to carry dead bodies out of rooms!!! LOL)
  • bagera4000bagera4000251 Posts: 1,516Member
    loved the old one it was first move i sow
    Patrick Stewart in
    Aye. :)

What help do you need? What in particular I mean.
    I may have not the vast experience you have, but I tend to be a quick learner if a thing interrests me. And that is darn interresting.
    Hi Aresius,

Well... I'm primarily a "hard surface" & low poly modeller... and I really haven't been keeping up on the whole normal mapping z-brush thing so organic modeling at that level of detail is one area I need help.
    Another would be surfacing/texturing... I can do it ok but I hate doing it! LOL.
    Trying to get things to look the way they should drives Me crazy!
    Also I'm no TD (Technical Director) so rigging and animating takes Me aaaages...
    And I guess the other problem is My computer is 6+ years old now and its really frustrating working with it... LOL
    Still I really can do most of it Myself - just very, very slowly!

Ultimately, it's a process of looking at the movie, working out which effects NEED to be updated and then working out what assets (models, images, fx) are needed and how to approach replacing the effect in such a way as to make it still look like part of the movie.
    For example, I've been playing around with the idea of making Paul's filmbook look a bit more "modern"
    Original (Very washed out screen capture)
    DUNE_filmbook_Original.jpg

Concept (This was done quickly in photoshop and the black levels don't match but I've actually modeled and successfully tested screen replacement in 3d)
    DUNE_filmbook_Concept.jpg

So I guess the idea - if you are interested - would be to take a shot from the movie that needs updating (and interests you) and see what you can do...
    63588.jpg63589.jpg
    Well, I'd need the models then...

I am currently involved in 2 major jobs (and various smaller side-jobs), with both being in the final stage and are expected to be finished withing this month.
    After this, I will have more time to look into the matter and also ask (bombard) you with questions via PM.
    A definite plus is that I have the Extended Edition right on my external HD. YAY. :D
    Any help would be much appreciated Aresius - just give Me a yell when you are ready and I can send you what you need... anything in particular you are interested in?
    Preferrably space and planetary scenes.
    Hi folks, here is a screen shot of My simple guild navigator model (which you can see earlier in the thread) after it has been worked on in Z-Brush by Mikala.
    Personally I think he's doing a great job and I can wait to see the final product!
    I will have to model a tank for the Navigator to go in!
    GNavprog_03.jpg
    63793.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    That looks great:thumb: Yep, now you have to model its containment tank.
    What can I say, but WOW. Well done Mikala, that's looking great.
    Thanks people. Look forward to seeing the "Tank" that it swims in.
    Wondering how you are going to tackle the spice gas?
    Had a go at a quick study of the Navigator's tank tonight... Made a bunch of reference stills from the movie and downloaded some behind the scenes images but it's really difficult to work out what this thing look s like from almost any angle except the front.
    I can see there is plenty of detail in the images but in most cases its too indistinct to work out what it is.
    Looks like its approximate 4 meters tall, about 2 - 2.5 meters wide and anywhere between 10 to 15 meters long... and damn if I can work out where the "shield" doors go to when they open!
    So here it is... not a lot of detail, just working out where everything goes and how big it is in relation to everything else. Will probably tackle it more fully later on once I finish some of the other models a bit more... have too many things half-finished!
    GuildNavigator_WIP_02.jpg
    63830.jpg
    I thought the tank was just the front end of something. I might be wrong but I thought it stretched right our the doors of the scene. Almost like it was extending from outside the building.
    Although I should also say, I haven't watched the movie in ten years.
  • ernestoernesto0 Posts: 0Member
    Super work.

Ciao ;-)
    Hi Pagrin,

No, it doesn;t extend all the way into the ship... it's long but I think part of the illusion is caused by the angle it is filmed at and by the sliding "shield doors" - as far as I can see they slide straight back and sort of hang off the end.

Here's an image from a deleted scene of the tank being raised up into the cockpit of the Guild Heighliner where you can see the whole thing (With shield doors raised)
    gr_cockpit.jpg
    63862.jpg