Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDUNE (1984) WIP's

• Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW that was amazing:thumb:
  • monsoontidemonsoontide0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks folks!
    I appreciate you keeping an eye on this (rather long running) project!
    Now that I have a nice Caladan model, I think My next test animation will be the Atreides exodus from Caladan to the Guild transport... I love the sequence in the movie but its ruined by having to cut between the various shots... but then again, I might do a different part entirely... I'm working up to doing some tests with the ornithopters using some aerial desert footage from the "Planet Earth" TV series as a backdrop.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Good to hear that you didn't drop this worthwhile project yourself mate :thumb:
    Started working on the Guild Transport ship... it looks deceptively simple - just a big long tube with a couple of indents... however there's some serious ornamentation in several places (most notably around the "doorway" into the ships interior See Here). So I've downloaded a couple of greeble packs and have started away on it... am only going to model one side and one end and a bit of the far side to keep the poly count down since I'm not going to need any of the unseen data. Pics to come as soon as i have something worthwhile to show!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    page not loading....
    Conenction reset.
    Hmmmm I had trouble too.. the site must have gone down for bit. Seems to be working today though.
    OK, here is a WIP pic of the Guild Heighliner (YOu can see the greebles and nurnies I've added) placed in My exodus animation (still trying to work out the best way to get hundreds of ships to all fly around with as little effort as possible, while looking as cool as possibel!)
    exodusxa8.th.jpg
    looks nice.
    I'm looking forward for the animation..
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    I'm curious to see how you'll tackle that main loading gate :devil:
    I'm currently breaking it down into basic shapes and then it's either model the detail or use bump+normal maps to create the detail I guess.
    I've been making slow, but steady progress on the Guild Heighliner and hope to have some new images for you to check out this weekend!
    Darn, and I'll be off on the weekend...

Well, looking forward to monday then...
    OK, teeny tiny update... here's a VERY short test I did of Atreides ships arriving on Arrakis... part of a much longer shot designed to replace the original.
    Spent the weekend reworking My ornithopter engines/wings. The mechanism was sort of like an extending series of fan blades, but ultimately after a lot of work, I had to reject the design as when I attached it to the body of the ornithopter they just didn't look like they'd make it fly.
    So have gone back to reworking My older design which I still like. Remodeled it and designed it to fit within the new engine casings I've designed.
    Looks good. Now the wings start of resting folded over the cockpit like an umbrella, then they swing up, swivel 90 degrees and then move down to lock into place in the engines... (will post an animation on youtube so you can see what I mean!) - using Lightwave's "cyclist" feature to automate the animations.
    Still working in the Guild Heighliner doorway... finally found some nice vector patterns that should look ornate enough.
    ALso modeled a VERY rough Chrysknife... needs some more work and then it really needs to go into Z-brush or Mudbox for some detail (Neither program which I have or know how to use :( )
    Pictures as soon as I am satisfied with the renders...
    looks quite nice, but the way they're comming along (amount and angle and speed and... achtually everything) makes it more look like an attack run of Harkonnen vessels.
    Work has been very busy so I've not been able to update for a bit... (excuses... excuses LOL)

So here is where I'm at with the "doorway" into the guild ship. I have one "clear" reference photo that was at an angle, so I straightened it and built one good 1/4 and then used that to create the whole doorway (note the top and bottom are cut off). Still trying to decide on the patterns as they are very intricate but I can't really make out what they are from the photo, so am trying to find something that looks suitable for each section... Still not sure if I am going to try and model it all or just the main parts and bump/normal map the rest or what...

guilddoorwayvf2.th.jpg
    Looks very good. Very close to what the original is, judging fromthe reference.

I've gotta take a look at my disc, I have the rare extended version, maybe I can catch any good screenie, but I can't pormiss anything.
    Spent the long Labor Day weekend trying to get the landing gear on My 'thopter working.
    Problem is there are not enough CLEAR reference photos of the landing gear online or in the movie. So had to kind of make it up.
    It's by no means perfect at the moment, but it's getting there... though I am totally cheating to get it to fold inside the thopter!
    You can check out the animation here (don't forget to click the watch in High Quality option).
    I have only animated one side so far as I am still working things out. Once I get it working satisfactorily, I will work on the other side.
    Also have to fix the small "wing supports" that fold down at the back - currently they aren't long enough to reach the ground!
    THere are no textures on this model yet, so the wings are very plain and the Atreides decal (Black square with green & white circle) is missing from the front/side of the thopter.
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    I'd make the wings beat a hell of a lot faster, kind of like a humming bird, so they blur like a helicopters rotor.
    Probably will once I get the rig finalized... at least during take off. Once air borne I am thinking it will probably glide more like a seagull, flapping primarily to maintain altitude and for manoeuvring. But don't forget, the thopters in the book also used jets to assist take-off. I have them roughly in place, though you can't see them in this shot. Could probably use a couple more though.
    I'm trying to find a way to automate the wing flapping and be able to just "dial-in" a speed for it, while still retaining the ability to go in and manually adjust things if I need to.
    (Any ideas how to go about this in Lightwave?)
    Looks very sweet.

He's right, they should beat by far faster, otherwise this sweety will not lift a millimetre.
    Ordered a new gfx card for Christmas... hopefully that will remotivate Me again to finish this project! LOL
    New card still on the way, but actually started on this again.
    First up, I finished working on the Thopter's landing gear animation so both sides and the front all fold up now.
    Then I worked on finishing up the "landing gear" for the Atreides star-ship - including the three legs (really hard to spot the third one at the back in the photos) and the part where the passengers emerge from... its not quite finished yet as I just found a better quality reference photo when I was almost done that reveals better detail in places. Also have to do something about texture and dirt maps for the vehicles...
    Anyway, check out this more recent video (the landing field and cliff need a LOT of work)
    Thopter Animation Test Video Dec 2008
    (Don;t forget to watch in Hi-res for better quality)
    Still have to speed up the wings though.
  • ernestoernesto0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi monsoontide
    I started also long ago a similar project. http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/general-requests/36972-dune-film.html
    My current WIP is here:http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/54623-dune.html
    Now where I see your super work, I can probably throw it into the garbage pail.

Ciao :(
    Well, My models are hardly the best either... I think they hold up from a distance, but I have a LOT of work still to do to get them to match the "look" in the movie.

Am contemplating contacting Ron Miller (the production artist on the movie who's website is Black Cat Studios to see if I can get some higher resolution versions of his concept paintings or perhaps if he could rough out a few sketches of how he envisioned some of the things I am working on but can't find enough references for - eg... the Spice Refinery - you can only see it in the one shot in the film when the Atreides ships first arrive, but I am hoping to have My ornithopter take of from the landing field, fly through the shield, over the city, past the refinery and then up over the shield wall out to the open desert!!! - essentially replacing ALL the effects shots from the film... except the shield shot since I haven't worked out how to replicate that cool distortion effect.
    As I previously mentioned, I sent an email to Ron Miller, the Production Artist/Designer on DUNE to see if he would be kind enough to send Me some higher resolution versions of his paintings for Me to use as reference in constructing the models.

Here's his reply...

"You're doing something I'd always hoped someone would do: fill in some of the missing bits of Dune using digital technology.

I have copies of the original blueprints of all of the Dune space and aircraft. These are the detailed drawings that the models were made from. I can scan copies of these for you...or at least I'll to see what I can do. The drawings are fairly large---larger than my scanner bed and maybe even too large to safely scan in sections without damage. I'll look into what can be done. It may take a little time, though: we recently moved to a new home and I'll have to unpack them.

Ron"

This is REALLY exciting news to Me (Even though it will potentially mean a LOT of remodeling work).
    I am currently working on creating a PROXY animatic of the Ornithopter flight sequence - all low-res simple models - just crude approximations of the final shapes - just so I can get the timings and general animation right.
    I am also in the process of pulling apart the actual sequence from the movie as I will have a LOT of rotoscoping work to do!

Woo Hoo, quite jazzed really... but will have to wait to see if Ron is able to actually scan the designs in.

Oh! NEW GFX card arrived... so installed it last night and got it working... seems to be doing a much better job than My old card - just need a new computer really!!!
    Hi, a very interesting message. I hope you will us inform. I thought again about your ornithopter. He cannot fly. The center of gravity lies much too far away from the wings. You will not find birds or bats to look in such a way. I will also modify my thopter. Now he looks rather like an flat-iron ;-)

Ciao
    I've thought about that, but the book describes them as having rocket thrusters - and though you can't see it in the animation there is one on the underside in the "dish" shaped structure that provides the necessary lift for the front of it!
    (After all, they do have suspensor fields) The wings provide propulsion and manoeuvering rather than just "lift"!
    (Yeah... I did put some thought into it... also if I put the wings in the middle like all the other designs I've seen, then it just looks like all the other designs I've seen and doesn't have that distinctive "DUNE the movie" look. LOL)
    Hi monsoontide,

perhaps you can help me. I look for pictures of Arrakeen. How do I have to imagine the city? I know only this picture with the large mountain.
    http://www.space.com/images/h_dune_ships_02,0.jpg
    But where is the palace, the terrace of the Alia on the pilgrims looks? In the German Wiki stands only:
    "The capital of the desert planet in the old days often Arrakis City, is the main trading center and seat of the ruling family. The city is comparatively small, it is rather a big village than a real city. The city is enclosed by the Shield Wall, a mighty mountain that during the uprising of the Frem Paul Atreides partially destroyed with nuclear weapons."

Ciao
    Hi Ernersto

Here you go try this image I put together... it's from the movie of course. The design of Arakeen is completely different in the mini-series, where a LOT more time is spent actually IN the city.
    You can see some of the designs here & here
    I hope that helps.

I'm actually working on a VERY lo-res model of the area at the moment, so I can complete My Ornithopter animatic...
    Many thanks for your help.

Ciao ;-)