Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DL.A.P.D. Spinner

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    nice very nice.
    never though they had wheels but it a great idea.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Looks great! Wouldn't want to drive it on the road though, it has such poor visibility for the driver. Rather just fly it around :D
  • BasajaunBasajaun183 Posts: 0Member
    Hi!

Sorry for the delay but there's been some major remodeling going on in the past few weeks. You probably won't notice most of it, but believe me, there've been a lot of subtle changes. In the other hand, I was finally able to properly rig the landing gear and now it's working the way it should so, overall, I'm quite happy with the way this project is progressing so far.

Here are some images, I hope you like them:

spinner_wip_179.jpg

spinner_wip_180.jpg

spinner_wip_181.jpg

spinner_wip_182.jpg

spinner_wip_183.jpg

spinner_wip_184.jpg

spinner_wip_185.jpg

I will start texture mapping the model soon, unwrapping it is going to be a total nightmare :help:
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    Wow
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Frakkin' awesome. I love flying cars. :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Words can't descibre the amount of awesomeness that's pouring out of this model ! :thumb: I absolutely love it, especially the front part with "hiding" wheels !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    AWESOME! i love blade runner! your model is very very clean! can't wait to see more!;)
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Looks very good except for one glaring error :eek:. In the second picture from the top, the front wheels are turned. The housing is cutting in to the right front wheel almost to the middle of the tire. Your going to have to figure out how to turn the wheels without that interference.
    I just turned them to make the renders more interesting, but obviously the design only allows the direction of the wheels to be turned a few degrees. As you pointed out earlier, the Spinner offers poor visibility and the front wheels don't allow proper maneuvering of the vehicle. I believe the only purpose of the landing-gear is to land the car and some very basic driving capabilities on the ground, but that's all.
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    On the full sized car they cut out the fairing on the bottoms to allow the wheels to turn.

http://www.c-we.com/piranha/spinner3.jpg

I think this implies that they cut it in the upper left section view;

http://www.devo.com/bladerunner/sector/3/pics/spinner_diagram_large.jpeg

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner3/spinner_rising.jpg

And a great source if you haven't already looked;

BladeZone: The Online Blade Runner Fan Club
    I checked the screencaps you provided me a couple of years ago and the film itself shows clearly the Spinner with the hemispherical housing of the wheels intact -no cuts- so I asume that's the way it's supposed to be. Those cuts (among many other modifications) were made afterwards, but that's not the way it was originally conceived and filmed.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Basajaun it may not seem like much of a thing. But that glass, whether it be the blue cop light type things or the windshield....

....well to be blunt. this is a great mesh and texture job. Well done
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    outstanding work:thumb:... shame the design was flawed in the ground mode - a problem that could have been solved one way or another - but i've watched the film more than 10 times and never noticed that it had actual front wheels anyway:D
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    The model is excellent and I always liked the design, though I wonder were they put the folks they arrest? Strap them to the hood like a 10 point buck?
    Awesome work mate! Really like it! Keep working on it! ;)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I can't believe I've only just seen this, it's awesome

if I was still a mod I'd put it on the header

nice work
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work ... Deserves to be on the Header for sure ... You've done this thing very well ...

Blade Runner is one of my favourite movies, .. I still often listen to the soundtrack, ...

Top Job Mate :thumb: !!,

Jas
    The finished product looks sweet.
    Just needs a bit of a paint job now.

I agree with the others this needs to be headder.
    nice work! Flying cars ftw :)
  • cobywancobywan171 Posts: 0Member
    Basajaun wrote: »
    I checked the screencaps you provided me a couple of years ago and the film itself shows clearly the Spinner with the hemispherical housing of the wheels intact -no cuts- so I asume that's the way it's supposed to be. Those cuts (among many other modifications) were made afterwards, but that's not the way it was originally conceived and filmed.

The flying spinner doesn't have the cuts. The driving one does.
    Hi!

The more this model grows, the harder it get's to manage the whole thing, so I've spent a few days putting everything in order: I've named every single object and material in the scene, I've put everything in layers, and so on...

Now, before I start texture-mapping the car I think I should first stablish the materials/shaders I'm going to use, so after doing a little bit of research I've come up with some nice glass, tinted-plastic and car-paint material. This is what I have so far:

spinner_wip_186.jpg

spinner_wip_187.jpg

spinner_wip_188.jpg

spinner_wip_189.jpg

spinner_wip_190.jpg

spinner_wip_191.jpg

I'm not an expert on shaders so any tips and/or comments would be more than welcome.
    wow! awesome!
  • black campbellblack campbell0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow!!!
  • blendercrossblendercross0 Posts: 0Member
    Really cool !!!!
    Seen from below:

spinner_wip_192.jpg
    That is so freaking cool!
  • number_sixnumber_six0 Posts: 0Member
    :eek!: Awesome!
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    OH MY...This is a perfect masterpiece! FANTASTIC !
    Increible trabajo amigo !
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow that model is beautiful ! I can't even imagine what will it look like with proper maps ! (I guess that only better :D)
    Keep up this awesome work ! :thumb:
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    You've done a man's job, sir!