Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialSaucer tricks the Mad Fish way.

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
edited December 2007 in Tutorials #1
This will involve a lot of poly editing bridging cutting and capping. (IE know editable poly really well, and have paitence with max :p )

Sorry, reworking the file my http got wiped on a "matinence update" (yeah sure) looking at hosting a pdf or some other method to attach images without relying on a outside source or crap spam hosts. Hope to have these back up before 2007
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    On to stage 3
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    MadKoiFish wrote:
    I wont go over all the details here since there are plenty of tuts out there as well as here in SFM
    these 2 come to mind. Scifieric's Enterprise tut And Starship's Saucer tut
    Ha ha! I'm a reference! LOL

Thanks MadKoiFish! That is a very interesting tutorial and has given me ideas on how to apply something similar in TrueSpace. Absolutely excellent.

I think I want to try something similar to the outside of my saucer to make it a little rounder/smoother. Great tutorial!
    Ok, bumping this so that people who visited it when I had the images missing can get the chance to see the pics. . . . Sorry some odd glitch when attempting to remove a page of attachments I removed them all somehow. . **avoids that check box at the top from now on**

btw scifieric credit is where credit is due :p now finish that tut :D
  • -MerlyN--MerlyN-171 Posts: 0Member
    Thats a very nice tutorial, MadK! But one thing comes to my mind. In the beginning you select some polys and tasselate them, and later remove some of the edges u just created. It would have been much faster and less work if u select the edges on the surface u want to refine and connect them. U get the complete same result without the need to delete hundreds of unwanted edges ;)
    I used tessalate instead of the "CONNECT" tool mainly because I had forgotten about it. So instead of tessalate I would select the edge needed click ring then connect. I have changed some other steps too in making these saucers. Such as joining the 2 seprate objects via bridge. Often ti twists one way on top and another on the bottom. I just bridge them seprately now and then cut the saucer up in quads for detail work thats symmertical across the saucer.

But the general idea is to create a tri less saucer with poly reduction. How you go about modeling the inbetween parts is up to interpratation.
    Maybe later on i will ammend this with newer and faster methods. For now Ill leave that up to the individual to work how he/she likes ~_~
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Is this tutorial still available somewhere? I can't find it. And the link on your site doesn't work.
    Nope this is th eone that was lost to the ether of the internets and my hdds. Its slated for a rebuild but prolly not any time soon someone else had a similar tut on here as well.

Tutorials The madFish Way!
    now printing means it is in the works. dunno when I'll get to it. Check the 2 links quoted by eric above

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/727-how-build-starship-enterprise-truespace-3-a.html

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/1525-how-build-simple-saucer-max-7-a.html
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Ok, I see. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.