Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialStargate event horizon

SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2008 in Tutorials #1
This is my first tutorial so don't blame me for the poor quality ... :flippy:

Some review would be apreciated
Post edited by Skynet on

• General_ZodGeneral_Zod0 Posts: 0Member
    Too much light and add a smoke bump
  • SkynetSkynet0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you ... the lighting I have messed up because I forgot that in my first version that I made I used the Glow video post filter on the stargate and for the event horizon I used 3 lights in a circular motion around the central axis. But As I said I did not have much time to work on the texturing and the important thing in the tutorial is the modeling part.

P.S. Can anyone make an particle tutorial for the kawhoosh effect?
    Ok here is a little update. I made some changes to the texture and the lighting. I think this is a better version. Please reply sugestions.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Skynet wrote:
    Thank you ... the lighting I have messed up because I forgot that in my first version that I made I used the Glow video post filter on the stargate and for the event horizon I used 3 lights in a circular motion around the central axis. But As I said I did not have much time to work on the texturing and the important thing in the tutorial is the modeling part.

P.S. Can anyone make an particle tutorial for the kawhoosh effect?

noone knows how to make the Kawoosh effect outside of physical props and filming, nothing has come close to it so far either.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Thank you but there must be a way since the physical effect was later replaced by an cg effect. The physical effect was too expensive :flippy: . Anyway I'm going to try something and I'll let you know.
    So nobody interested in the new version? Only one view. Please reply sugestions so I can keep improving. Sorry! I'm feedback-holic :flippy:
    Well ... feedback anyone? C'mon guys ... I need you to reply if I am going to improve the scene ...
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    Just had a look at your vid. Not bad, however (here it comes:D) I'd soften or reduce the noice effect on the surface. As it stands now, the surface fiplles are to large, making the ring seem only about 1/4 size.

Also, I think it's interfering with the 'bounce' back on the surface.

On the plus side, lighting effect looks nice.:thumb:
  • race13race130 Posts: 0Member
    Dude great work with the lights, I believe you've got it, But I think you need to make the fluctuations on the event horizon a litle smoother, try it, great work.
    Well you will probably see more of my work in a month or so ... I have exams and I have to learn ... duh ... And I can't think about anything else right now
  • jasongodwinjasongodwin0 Posts: 0Member
    hey looks great:) i love the fluctuations. but to me the actual water texture doesnt look like the one in stargate...thats wat i am trying to figure out how to do, to get it to look just like it:)
    thanks
    jason
    hey looks great:) i love the fluctuations. but to me the actual water texture doesnt look like the one in stargate...thats wat i am trying to figure out how to do, to get it to look just like it:)
    thanks
    jason

Well basicly this tutorial wasn't started as a method to create the actual texture ... it started as an reactor tutorial on how to make the wakes of an object/person passing trough ... But I'm going to work on the texture a little bit since I see that there are a lot of people interested. :thumb:
  • jasongodwinjasongodwin0 Posts: 0Member
    yep:) i love what you have done so far:) just needs a little tweeking as far as material goes.
    keep it up..
    jason
    yep:) i love what you have done so far:) just needs a little tweeking as far as material goes.
    keep it up..
    jason
    I tweeked the mat a bit got something new ... will post it here tomorrow ... today I forgot it at home :D
    Here it is ... hope it's better than the last one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    noone knows how to make the Kawoosh effect outside of physical props and filming, nothing has come close to it so far either.

Actually, Nutsy made a pretty decent one with lightwave.

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-gallery/31964-i-woke-up-today-saw-out-my-bedroom-window.html
  • DravenStlDravenStl0 Posts: 0Member
    I go to school for Video Game Design. I am in Animation 1 right now and working on a stargate themed Final Project, thanks to you I now know how to do the event horizin the right way. Appreciate it alot.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    specs2 wrote: »
    I don't think that was lightwave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I don't think that was lightwave

was it a fluid sim?
  • mJAstromJAstro171 Posts: 0Member
    If I remember correctly he told me he did it with max and no plug-ins. He instead used a morph modifier to get the shape and added some refractive material to it.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    yeah he fiddled with morphs and stuff I think, a fluid sim would look more organic