Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I have some back-of-envelope style calculations for the turret issue. See if it makes sense. It's not so much a "mine is bigger" thing; it's a square-cube law problem. A ship twice as large as another in linear dimensions will proportionally have 8 times the power to put to weapons.

I'm going by scaling based on power generation, which should be based on the size of the reactor available. Based on this, I'm thinking 30x ISD equivalents, due to the following:

This ship is ~20x ISD volume based on a naive proportional scale-up. There's going to be less relative space dedicated to hangars compared to the ISD, which leaves greater proportional space for power generation for a large gun battery. I plan on putting a very large reactor bulb to drive home the point on the ventral side. That said, going for 25-30x ISD power for weapons does not seem unreasonable to me.

Assume the 12 heavy turbolasers on the ISDI are equivalent to the 64 smaller heavies on the ISDII. Based on an ISDI armament, this ship, by power-generation, should have...between 300 and 360 of the same sized guns. In twin turrets, well, you start seeing the problem; no space for anything else. So I concentrate them into quads, and double the turret size accordingly. That, and I've introduced an even larger caliber, bit over twice the size again as the gun on an ISDI, about double them up to a turret. Won't bore anyone with all the numbers, but based on all that, I'm currently plotting out a fit of the following for this ship (subject to some changes):

22 superheavies in 11 twins (=~4 ISDs)
    192 ISDI-class heavies in 48 quad mounts (=~16 ISDs)
    384 ISDII-class heavies in 48 octuples (=~6 ISDs)

+sundries like ion cannon etc.

So, realism clashes a bit with following the "canon" 4 turrets to a side of the ISD. How you decide to spread the power estimate given by the size scaling between guns depends on how arbitrarily large you want to scale the weapons. I can have 8 octuples like the ISDII in this ship, but each gun would be 20-30x the power, and likely, close to that again in size. I think we can agree that would look pretty silly too.
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    Givent he ships size and projected power output I dont see a problem with the number of energy based weapons you have instore.

My only crit, and its some what meaningless, Based on that size of your ship and some of the varieing degrees of angles from hull surfaces... and given the amount of batteries emplacements for equal coverage in a near 360 degree omni directional. your effective overlapping fields of fire based on your turret types dont seem optimal. But as with most capital ships are ment for ship to ship battles and less on point deffence.

this is based on your 22 super heavys(tier 1) being center line for 180 degrees coverage from port to starboard. that way you can effectivly engauge target forward or from either side at 45 degree angles to bring the most guns to bare on a single target.
    I then placed your 192 Quad mounts(tier 2) on sections below the super heavys in a modifed honycomb pattern. with primary focus on port and starbard fields of fire with secondary coverage farward for additional fire support.
    Then your 384 (tier 3) interlaced with the other batteries for additoinal fire support and small point deffense.
  • guddiguddi0 Posts: 0Member
    like to see the results on that ship. actually these numbers matchs with the size of the ship if you take the armarment of the executor as comparison. how big will this ship be?
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    I never will understand why people do not understand that a larger ship has to have a larger power plant that by defintion can power more turrets/systems.
    I never will understand why people do not understand that a larger ship has to have a larger power plant that by defintion can power more turrets/systems.

I wasnt saying he had too much, i was thinken and trying to work out that he had not enough.
    Ship is ~ 7.1km

I re-built the large-caliber twin turret setup, and scaled the turret to fit. All the large turrets are 75% their original size, which might help with anyone who had issues with the scale or emphasis on the armament before. Also did a quad-heavy ion cannon in a ball socket mount.

27.jpg
    28.jpg
    matchs much better! Did you tried 80%?
    love that quad turrets and the new ioan canons
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    docprice wrote: »
    I wasnt saying he had too much, i was thinken and trying to work out that he had not enough.

Oh thats cool. I stand corrected.
    lol so whats the power plant going to look like, a small Star. the way your headed that the power output it looks like your going to need.

Spider man 2 anyone.. except on a bigger scale. Can you imagen the peak power output of that ship when makeing a jump into hyper space. E= 1 Chuck Norris Round House kick,squared .

Awsome ship, can i be captain.
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    I know the Executor is larger, but that shot down the side (from the ballmount-quad cannon) looks so freakin huge! Imagine this ship being used in the opening scene (right after the scrolling vertical text) as in the first 3 (in years released chronological order): The nose comes into view when the vertical scroll stops and the engines come into view as the ending credits roll...

I am fully amazed by the details here....
    Update:

Did a large portion of the trench and the trench brim yesterday, and did the hull panels for the dorsal hull. Going to finish the brim and the trench next, and do the detail pass on the hull panels.

29.jpg
    30_small.jpg
    nice view! are there turbolaser in the trench as well?
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    guddi wrote: »
    nice view! are there turbolaser in the trench as well?

Wasn`t that ions ?
    yes, but want to know if there are turbolasers too
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    Be careful, don't make it look too good or some lucas' lawyer is going to ask you to take it down, like they did with Howard if I remember correctly. (then you could reply they used your mesh in a trailer)
    as I remember correctly they used howards mesh within a poster without asking and crediting him. Like they used ansels SD in a Trailer.

Maybe we'll see that ship in the upcoming series :)
    ^Yes, but that depends on this being released. Which it won't be. Not widely.

Pretty much finished the trench now. Added some Venator/Acclamator-style torpedo tubes.

31.jpg
    32.jpg
    33.jpg
    34.jpg
    35_small.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    :eek!:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Holy Crap!!!
    astonishing!!! really love that terraces! :o
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice.
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    That is a disgusting amount of detail...it's too bad that that big render can't quite hold it all. Lol

Looks great!
  • SGA_MaddinSGA_Maddin0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work! amazing details!
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    That's phenomenal. To create something like that based on the most unhelpful of sources requires imagination as much as it does modelling skill, and I'm envious of both. :)
    Oh baby jesus, i tink my vid card just fried.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    I see you found that box of greebles in your closet...
    <rushes off to check closet>
    Nuts... nowt there... <oooh rushes to the back of the couch>
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    damn you're fast!

I would have seen a smaller hangar bay on this big wall http://fractalsponge.net/big/23.jpg , like for a shuttle or something. It would look great, but probably too exposed
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    As usual a highly impressive modelling project. Was going to give this the low poly treatment when I seen the original comic image but didnt know where to start. Interesting to see your usual "touches" to make it unique as well. Can't wait to see more.