Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    This is now...bout 2 and a half days of work:

9.jpg
    54730.jpg
    9.jpg 113.6K
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Some nice greebelage there...
  • Lt. CannonfodderLt. Cannonfodder0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh boy... here we go again. Looking forward for more.
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    mmm details.... :D
    Panels...are...boring...work...

10.jpg
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Showin' off again, I see...

Love the greeble work, but IMHO the panels may be too widely spaced for that size of ship. The panel lines on the ILM models are pretty dense.
    OK, so here's my feeling on panel lines here. These lines are about the same relative size as the panels I used on my ISD. The lines in the studio models are finer (at least for Avenger and Executor, Devastator is about the same).

Two points I have to make about this:
    1) Equivalents of the really fine exacto-scored lines on the studio models should at this 3d resolution are appropriately handled in texture, if indeed one imagines they are necessary. Again, this is close to the Devastator studio model resolution anyway.

2) Diminishing returns come into play. These lines are nearing the point at which they would be invisible in a full-ship shot, and would be impossible to handle (at least for my machine) if they are all modeled in the close up shots for a 7.1km ship at studio-model resolution. You sacrifice too many polys, time, and effort, on modeling things that would be obscured in 99% of the distances and angles by dirtmap or motion blur... I don't feel any...richness...of detail is unduly sacrificed here.

Bottom line is probably that the level used here, or at in a denser pattern for a smaller ship the grids used for your ISD, are probably as reasonably close to studio model lines as one can, or should get in geometry. No one will replicate the studio grid pattern exactly. No one. Not if they actually want to have time for a life, or to finish the rest of the ship :).
    Actually that's not the bottom line. The bottom line is that the detailing and configuration for this ship is my own design, and I am not going for the exact replication of any studio pattern. Any more panel line detail is, imho, a waste of time and poly budget that can be spent on much more interesting detailing.
    Wow, kinda touched a nerve, eh? Don't get me wrong, I totally dig the pattern, and you're right it's about equivalent to Devastator. I was actually thinking that using a second set of detail plates for close shots would be the way to go.

That or a pencil (which is what ILM was using for the really fine lines, when you look at the Avenger in hi res).

And this "finish" thing you refer to, I'm...drawing a blank.

Finish...

Finish you say? I'll have to go ask Tobian what you mean.

Ok, not Tobian...

lol
    Tobian is indeed a master of "finishing." Many have aspired to surpass him, but can't be bothered to get there. Paul, for example. :devil:

And actually not a nerve. I've been giving this panel thing some thought for big ships, especially since I've been turning this thing over in my head. For a proper, beveled-edge pattern, I simply don't see a way to make the massively fine and complicated (and nearly invisible) pattern on the later SW studio models that would be worth the effort and computing power.
    Tobian is indeed a master of "finishing." Many have aspired to surpass him, but can't be bothered to get there. Paul, for example. :devil:

Paul, Hell, Greg has some kind of record for non-finished WIPs, doesn't he? I at least have one complete project to my name (the APU, for those of you watching at home).:D:cool:
    ^True, actually. But Paul is still pretty bad.

Filling in some gaps, more plating.

11.jpg
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Paul, Hell, Greg has some kind of record for non-finished WIPs, doesn't he? I at least have one complete project to my name (the APU, for those of you watching at home).

Hey! I finished... um... I finished the conversion of your ISD for Matt and Paul to play with... My excuse is that my computer never recovered from MAX's export mesh... :p

But yes, it's true- though the Venator will be completed one day... :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Sure it will Greg... Never a better time then the present ;)

Sweet looking work there fractalsponge.
    Samurai wrote: »
    Hey! I finished... um... I finished the conversion of your ISD for Matt and Paul to play with... My excuse is that my computer never recovered from MAX's export mesh... :p

But yes, it's true- though the Venator will be completed one day... :)

The mesh will come out, tomorrow,bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, Greg'll be done...
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Yes, tomorrow- bet everything on it. I'll let you all know the PayPal ID for the holding account.... :shiner:
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
    ^ I bet a billion zimbabwe dollars!

12.jpg
    13.jpg

The armament starts to appear. The quad turret mounts the same big guns as an ISDI. The octuple mounts are for guns similar to an ISDII. These are not by any means going to be all the guns on this beast, I assure you :)
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work and the details are perfect the weapons look excelent as well hope to see more of this beastie soon
    For your viewing enjoyment (and reference):

devastatorterracesleftcompress.jpg

devastatorterracesleft4compress.jpg

devastatorterracesleft2compress.jpg
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    How to greeble models:

Step 1. Buy a bunch of different model kits.
    Step 2. Step on all of the parts.
    Step 3. Glue them together in new and interesting ways.
    Step 4. Glue the "greebles" to your base model.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • backsteptbackstept2060 Posts: 923Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Step 2. Step on all of the parts.
    OUCH!

with shoes on I hope! :shiner:
    That top photo was my reference - note the similarities to my turret :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    sweet! dont forget a few of those trench mounted heavy quad lasers:D.

Excellent man.
    That top photo was my reference - note the similarities to my turret :)

I thought I had sent you all of those, but I figured it never hurts to be sure.
    14.jpg
    15.jpg
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Great merciful bloodstained gods man... It looks so angry, I love it...
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Now thats what Im talking about!
    The greeble is expanding. Did some editing of the twin turrets for the really heavy guns, will do a comparison close-up later between the different mountings.

16_small.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    A great many Tamia battleships died to bring us this information.

Nice work!
  • docpricedocprice0 Posts: 0Member
    oooooooooo

aaahhhhhhhhh

Im awestruck!
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    crap, you model fast. You sell your soul or something? :p
    Is that a canon ISD or one of your own creation?