Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome! Would be cool to see this one alongside similar "era" designs, like the Victory and your Legator (I presume that one was at least early Empire, based on the positioning of the antenna array...) :)

ETA: Did you ever do any pre/early Empire starfighters, like proto-TIEs?
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    The superstructure makes me think of a Star Destroyer crossed with a Victorian era Royal Navy dreadnought, and a bit of steampunk. I like it.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    starbc10.jpg
    starbc11.jpg
    starbc12.jpg
    I'm not convinced the slimmed down one is better. I think the ship needs something wider to both recall the hex module and to give the whole tower profile some variation from a pyramid.

starbc13_test1.jpg
    starbc13_test2.jpg
    starbc13_test3.jpg
    starbc13_test4.jpg
  • BarricadeBarricade198 Posts: 180Member
    Fractal?
    Was your site hacked?
    I can't load it anymore, and none of the images are showing up here either.
    Been blipping this afternoon. Seems to be ok now.
    starbc14.jpg
  • Nathan RubricNathan Rubric180 GermanyPosts: 159Member
    Can't wait to see your version of the Mandator IV dreadnaught.

Show them how to make a propper cool looking ship!
    Just saw the preview images of the First Order's 'dreadnought' for the next movie.

Fractal, you could easily do so, so, SO, much better than that. If I actually had the money (and I don't ;_; dammit), I'd pay you to make a better version. Because we the fans deserve it.
    Old-school comics cruciform thruster arrangement.

starbc15.jpg
    starbc16.jpg
    Barricade wrote: »
    Just saw the preview images of the First Order's 'dreadnought' for the next movie.

Fractal, you could easily do so, so, SO, much better than that. If I actually had the movie (and I don't ;_; dammit), I'd pay you to make a better version. Because we the fans deserve it.

Here are some thoughts about it:
    http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2568

Basically, I hate it.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    RFFikul.jpg
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Agree with you on all points Sponge. The thing is a hatchet-job of woefully poor design, and likewise the idiotic new walker with its ridiculous caracature of a sabertooth tiger for a cockpit.

I'll be interested to see the concept art book, to determine whether the designers or the director are responsible for this inanity...
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    that new Episode 8 Dreadnought is brilliant.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    RFFikul.jpg

THIS. Exactly this. But Hollywood is lazy, so I didn't really expect that much.
    starbc17.jpg
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    RFFikul.jpg

You know its bad when fans are actively stating that the designs from SW: Rebels look a helvalot better than the preview images for Ep8. I mean, seriously, it couldn't have been THAT expensive to ask for something worthwhile. Or for that matter, something that isn't blatantly an Executor knock-off with a crotch gun.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Old-school comics cruciform thruster arrangement.

starbc15.jpg
    starbc16.jpg

I might rotate the two outer-most venturi clusters to where they have a diamond set up--along with the central cluster.
    Fractal, any thoughts as to the Supremacy, the 'Mega' class Star Destroyer, now that its been revealed as part of database app you get if you buy one of the BB-9E toys just released?

Personal Opinion:
    Well, at least it looks slightly better then the dreadnought. Slightly. Better.
    Slightly.

-=-=- Back to being on-topic -=-=-

You ever consider making an Imperial capital ship where the orientation of the thrusters was done vertically, rather than horizontally?
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    Barricade wrote: »
    Fractal, any thoughts as to the Supremacy, the 'Mega' class Star Destroyer, now that its been revealed as part of database app you get if you buy one of the BB-9E toys just released?

Personal Opinion:
    Well, at least it looks slightly better then the dreadnought. Slightly. Better.
    Slightly.

-=-=- Back to being on-topic -=-=-

You ever consider making an Imperial capital ship where the orientation of the thrusters was done vertically, rather than horizontally?

the design is criminally bad. and because its so big i cant wait to see how they film it.
    Unlike the dreadpizza, I have mixed feelings about the Supremacy.

I think the basic concept of mobile base makes a lot of sense. But I think if they scaled this ship and the First Order dreadnought down 10X, and made Supremacy the new dreadnought and the pizza slice a frigate/monitor, I'd be totally on board, and I might even forgive them for using a scaled XWvTF game model for Kylo's fighter, giving the new Royal Guards Super Mario mushroom helmets, and that stupid gorilla walker.

But, I think the class name is awful, like Megacaliber-6 awful. It's 10-year old fanfiction bad. I know this for certain because when I was 10 I thought a 1000km star destroyer shape ship that could blow up stars would be AWESOME :D. I think the 60km LENGTH is a bit stupid. Not because the boomerang is too big for the SW universe (Death Stars exist). It's not the absolute size that annoys me. What does: If it's 60km long it's >4 times wider than Death Star 1, and at a structure that is far less suited to the stresses involved. Why even have warship-style engine banks? How did space ISIS build it? WHY NOT BUILD ANOTHER DEATH STAR? It's not like a moon or a moon mass object needs warship acceleration or warship shaping. A Death Star has the volume and area for base and shipyard duties, and is a paradigm-changing strategic weapon in its own right.

If the thought/design process that led to the concept is what I suspect it is (RAR BIGGER TESB BETTER TESB RAWR), then I despair for the movie and all the sequels moving forward under the current art and writing direction.
    starbc18.jpg
    starbc19.jpg
    starbc20.jpg
    Annnnnd I guess the newest leak is that Death Star #3 is going to show up in the new movie.

Seriously? Come up with a new plot twist already....
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    I despair for the movie and all the sequels moving forward under the current art and writing direction.

Maybe that's why they sacked the Ep9 director. Perhaps their "different visions" was him pointing out all the stupid stuff.
    DCB wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they sacked the Ep9 director. Perhaps their "different visions" was him pointing out all the stupid stuff.

That or he's an actual longtime fan (probably), and saw the writing on the wall that Ep8 was going to be a disaster (maybe), and wanted to get the heck out before Ep9 was forever associated with him as the director. Aka: 'Oh hell no, I am NOT taking the fall for this disaster, like what happened with Ep2 & Ep3. Let some other poor soul deal with it, I'm out/washing my hands of this!'

-=- Back to the artwork!! -=-

Fractal, if you haven't yet added anything to the reactor bulb, would you consider adding a few 'spokes' around it for added depth & detailing? It looks kinda bland at the moment.

Yes, I'm aware that with the level of detailing you normally do, that blandness doesn't last very long.
    Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser - gallery up:
    starbc72-1024x683.jpg
  • LatosLatos335 Posts: 0Member
    Dude, this is one more masterpiece! Well done, I'm looking in detail at every picture. So much stuff. Special!
  • YIIMMYIIMM179 Posts: 96Member
    I'm a fan of the new render settings
  • grifxogrifxo0 Posts: 0Member
    Procurator-class Star Battlecruiser - gallery up:
    starbc72-1024x683.jpg

damn son.... i was on the fence about this one. but seeing the finished product. this thing is awesome. love the base of the tower. it almost seems like a curved slope.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Send this to Revell