Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialTips & Tricks: Modeling Hi / Low Poly Models for Next-Gen Games

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited April 2007 in Tutorials #1
Tips & Tricks: Modeling Hi / Low Poly Models for Next-Gen Games
Format: JPG image, 900x5200, 2MB

I originally started doing this tutorial for a friend on my mod, Project Deus for UT3, and decided to expand it's goal a bit. It concerns the rationale, how's and why's of making models for normal map generation. While there are a few 3DS Max-specific things in there, i classed it miscellaneous because i'm talking about general principle, and don't really delve into the Max application.

I hope this is helpful for all the aspiring 3d game artists out there. As many people have some trouble in deviantart, i posted the link to the image here, instead of a link to the DA page.

Tutorial: http://ic3.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/103/e/2/Tut__Models_for_Next_Gen_Games_by_Gridlinked.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

• GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    That's an excellent tutorial...

... plus seeing the Daedalus real close is a nice bonus. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thanks! Anybody with questions or doubts, feel free to post here or email me!
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Did I read that figure correctly for the hi-poly model: 20 million? Yowza!
    Great tut, BTW.
    Yep, 20 million. Could be more, it's just a matter of increasing the Turbosmooth iterations, but Max was crashing a lot already lol
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    MaSaKaRi wrote: »
    Yep, 20 million. Could be more, it's just a matter of increasing the Turbosmooth iterations, but Max was crashing a lot already lol

Gee, I can't image why...
    Well, it's surprising to me, how do they develop all that sfx on movies, or the computer animation? Sure, it's bigger systems and render farms for rendering, but they still have to work. Or, better question, hi poly models for games, for GOW they were 60 million polys per character, for example, their Max or Maya surely isn't crashing.
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    Probably (well, without any other confirmation) it could be just a "urban legend"... :D
    Great tut, by the way;)
    Thanks Evangeline :D