Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DWarstar Goliath.

SkeletorSkeletor0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2011 in Work in Progress #1
yeah i was throwing around a few ideas in my head last night after looking through the various WIP's ive seen and also using some reference material and some brains i came up with a WarStar.

not a very good job on MS paint as compared to other ones i have seen but i suppose this will do untill i get DivX Draw.

there will be 2 more flight pods under the main body. i havn't had time to complete the side view yet. ive had a long drum lesson and its late so ill get to work after collage tomorrow.

comments welcome.

pics are below.
Post edited by Skeletor on

• bsg reconbsg recon0 Posts: 0Member
    Hav You Considered Making One Pod Out Of The Two Pods? Making It Adouble Width Pod? There Is Picture Of Original Warstar With The Dual Pods Underneath At Shpschematics.
  • SkeletorSkeletor0 Posts: 0Member
    i am skeching around various flight pod configs

i was thinking on putting them ontop of the main body.
  • overlordoverlord0 Posts: 0Member
    How about launching vipers through the nose of the ship. Not seen anyone else do it.

Just an idea:thumb:
    :) for 2 good pictures of a Warstar try Steve Wilson's Designs at Colonial Fleets. For several unique 4 and 5 pods designs try Farquard's Graphics at Pegasus Actual.
    cheers.
    Update.

i have now started to do the side view. i have done the head of it in as much detail as i can. the body does look a bit long but it will be shortend and made fatter.

at the moment i am currently making the flight pods.

as seen on pegasus there are 2 landing stips over and under each flight pod. but i also noticed the launch chutes are upside down aswell, now this does not compute with me becasue they would be loaded upside down and the artificial gravity in the ship wouldnt make that possible.

so i want a nice unique looking flight pod and either put 2 more on top of the main body of the warstar.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    You can solve the upside-down tube problem easily. :D Zero gravity, just hold them to their relative floors with magnetic plates.

Cool work by the way.
    thanks man. umm can you tell me how to get my bpm on here without the upload timing out. i tried to save it as a JPEG and the detail goes.

URL uploads are too small.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    You can always use imageshack if you want to post bmps, just past the "Thumbnail for forums (1)" link in your message.
    i managed to get it up but its not as detailed as it was on BPM
  • Ben of OzBen of Oz0 Posts: 0Member
    I always use PNG. I'm pretty sure that Paint can convert BMPs to PNGs without losing detail. If not, you can always download gimp or gimpshop to convert them.

Anyways, nice design. I like the intermediate-sized turrets. Larger than the mini-gun style weapons on the flight pods of Galactica, but smaller than the big guns. Nice work. :thumb:
    Update.

i have redone the engines, made it a little shorter and started work on the flight pods.

i have used Battlestar Zeus along with mind allong with Peggy and Galacitca.
    for a size comparison i hope The Kevin Show does'nt mind

this is alot more heavily armed than any battlestar and the flight pods are much larger holding quite a few squadrons of Vipers. it may look like a battlestarish but i have made sure it isnt to invincible.

yeah it is heavily inspired by Peggy. there are some bits n bobs i need to fiddle around with. but all in all its going well.

let my know what you think

cheers
    update.

done the top guns and more plating on the main body.
  • CASUAL OBSERVERCASUAL OBSERVER171 Posts: 0Member
    I hate to rain on people's parade, but I do have one minor crit.

This sucker is WAY over-armed. If you're going for some sort of realism, then you've unfortunately missed the mark. Not even looking into the structural issues of the turret's ability to traverse and the need for things like power generators, servos of some kind to allow movement, crew and maintenance access, etc. they are simply too close together.

Another issue is ammunition storage, access and capacity. With that many guns, the ship's ammunition stores will melt away fast than a snowman in Fiji.
    Unless of course, you can't get ammo to the guns because you would need the most elaborate elevator system devised by man to get shells from the magazine usually deeper in the ship to the guns.

But like I said, that's just me because I try to keep my designs somewhat on the realistic side. But everyone has their own view of things and everything is based on fantasy anyways, so if you want to cover every square meter of your ship with gun turrets, that perfectly fine :)
    thanks for your crit. i can see why you think it is over armed. i think i will remove 50% of the guns on the flight pods and some of the guns on the head.

but becasue i thought its a warstar it would be more heavily armed than a battlestar.

but yeah i did overdo it with the guns.

but the smaller guns are the anti raider guns and galactica has quite a few of them so i thought i would try and give the ship a good chance of holding off at leas 4 base stars.

any ideas were i should reduce the firepower? i would like it to cover all area's of the ship
    another update

im have taken a few of the guns off to make it a bit more realistic and i am debating weither to have rounded ends on the flight pods or straight ones. and i have re arranged the pod struts and making more progress on the plating

anyways here is are both with the 2 flight pod styles and a size comparson chart.
  • DenanthorDenanthor0 Posts: 0Member
    Howdy. Looking at the design it doesnt look bad. From The last 3 posts if I am correct in assuming that the guns I circled are the Small AA Guns I dont think shes over powered. It only leaves 12 of the Larger Galactica Guns on the flight pods which isnt bad. Although looking at it It does look cluttered> Just my 2 cents :)
    you are indeed correct. those are anti fighter flack guns. and the bigger ones are indeed the rail guns that are seen on galactica but they are about 40% bigger so and the size of the shots will also increse. it is the newest ship in the colonial fleet and the very last war star to be constructed before the cylon attack.

here is a update less guns and a few bit and bobs added here and there

goliath1cp5.th.jpg
    made alot of progress last night.

done the detailing on the engines, rounded the head section more, added some more guns since the last update to make it stand out from battlestar zeus.

goliath1cd3.th.jpg

comparisonzu4.th.jpg
    another update.

done some major modification to the flight pods. and better lettering. and made new pod struts that look abit beefier.

goliathbu0.th.jpg
    any idea of the stats on this ship it's a beauty
    ok here are the specs

Length - 2400m (pod length 1000m)
    Width - 840m
    Height - 600m

Crew compliment - 4600

Fighter squadrons - 400 mk7 vipers
    Other craft - 50 raptors, 30 raptor gunships and 20 experimental multi role craft. (Unknown classification)

Armament - 80 multi role turrets, 36 heavy anti capital turrets. 4 missile batteries, 8 fixed forward cannons (as seen on Pegasus) and 12 nuclear missile tubes. With a compliment of 24 warheads.

10 drive engines, 2 FTL drives and manuvering thrusters placed around the ship.

Biography - Goliath was Completed 2 years before the cylon attack on the colonies, she was the first of the new class of warstar for the colonial fleet, warstar's were decommissioned or scrapped 10 years after the first cylon war as picon fleet headquarters debated the need for such large ships which were old and in need of a major overhaul, the last warstar named Orion was decommissioned on the 25th anniversary of the first cylon war.
    8 years before the cylon attack colonial fleet decided that a new class of warstar was needed incase of a major cylon attack on the colonies.
    The new warstar will feature the latest in fleet technologies including a new anti capital guns that are the same calibre as the forward forward fixed guns on Pegasus. a new anti fighter flack shell that can be fired from the her multi purpose guns which are the same as the guns on Galactica and Pegasus, a entirely redesigned computer system which is different used on other colonial ships which eventually ended up being used against them.
    Goliath was commissioned on the 11th of October 2 years before the attack; she was immediately put on trials to prove her combat effectiveness. During trials she had manoeuvring problems due to her large size. Other problems included the loading mechanisms for the main guns which had never been used on a ship with such a vast number of guns, it was prone to jamming. As soon as she cam back from trials these improvements were made and she was re-evaluated and performed way beyond expectations.

During the cylon attack Goliath lead several other ships including, battlestars Tarus, Pacifica and Kobol and a dozen or so other support ships heading for Caprica were surrounded by 12 baseships and 1 very big unknown class of ship over the Colony Libran. Battlestar Kobol was the first to be destroyed when she suddenly lost power and all systems shorted out according to wireless communications between ships. The other battlestars and support ships perished shortly after with only 4 basestars destroyed. Goliath's Commander (Dante) ordered for a frontal charge and the firing of her forward batteries on the unknown ship, she managed to do considerable damage to it before the remaining baseships shielded the ship and caught the full brunt of her forward batteries in a last ditch attempt to even the playing field. she took out 4 more base stars. After a 40 minute stand off with the remaining base stars and the unknown ship she was evnetually destroyed with all hands lost. her remaining viper pilots watched horrificly as Goliath blew in half then her main reactor destroying the aft section hurling the forward section towards a basestar detroying it.
    Shortly after the destruction of Goliath the Unknown ship jumped away never to be seen again.
  • cooloneinca 2224cooloneinca 22240 Posts: 0Member
    nice stoy and nice wip :thumb:
    Updates.

goliath1lk6.th.jpg
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    Skeletor , check BSG ship and fighter designs thread for updates, and id load your updated tech specs on this thread.
    i'll post them here for you , hope you dont mind.

Length - 2500m (pod length 1000m)
    Width - 840m
    Height - 600m

Crew compliment - 4600 (max evac capacity 12,000)

Fighter squadrons - 500 mk7 vipers, 50 mk8 viper prototypes
    Other craft - 20 mk1 raptors 25 mk 2 raptors, 30 mk 2 raptor gunships and 20 experimental multi role craft. (Unknown classification)

Armament - 80 multi role turrets, 36 heavy anti capital turrets. 1 missile battery (deployed at the top with 72 tubes) 8 fixed forward cannons and 24 nuclear missile tubes. With a compliment of 36 warheads.

10 drive engines, 2 FTL drives and manuvering thrusters placed around the ship.

Other features - Hydroponics bay for growing various foods, Production Workshops for building new vipers and raptors on extended missions, Flight simulators, Research Labs (again for extended missions) and the first ship in the fleet to carry a new non networked computer system.

Biography - Goliath was Completed 2 years before the cylon attack on the colonies, she was the first of the Orion class Warstars named after the last surviving Warstar from the first cylon war. The old Warstar's were later replaced by the Mercury Class battlestar which ended up in all surviving warstar's to be scrapped.
    After the failed recon mission beyond armistance line 8 years before the cylon attack colonial fleet secretly decided that a new class of warstar was to be desgined and constructed incase of a major cylon attack on the colonies. There were 2 classes being desinged the Orion class and the Intruder class. both were very diffrent in design. the Orion class used its large flight pods which were double decked. she also had a much larger gun capacity than the Intruder Class and a larger ammo storage. but lacked in anti fighter supression. becasue it would need to rely on her fighters to stave off the cylon raiders while she would engage baseships.
    The new warstars will feature the latest in fleet technologies including a new anti capital guns that are the same calibre as the forward forward fixed guns on Pegasus. a new anti fighter flack shell that can be fired from the her multi purpose guns which are the same as the guns on Galactica and Pegasus.
    Warstar designs in the past had more than 2 flight pods, but designers noticed that it was unessesary to give these ships more bulk than they needed so they came up with a double sized flight pod that had the large fighter capacity but keep the ships profile lower and more Battlestar like giving her the advantage of being more manoverable and faster than older generation Warstars.
    Goliath was commissioned on the 11th of October 2 years before the attack; she was immediately put on trials to prove her combat effectiveness. During trials she had problems with her loading mechanisms for the main guns which had never been used on a ship with such a vast number of guns, it was prone to jamming. As soon as she came back from trials these improvements were made and she was re-evaluated and performed way beyond expectations.She went back to the shipyard were she was constructed for some unfinnished work that needed to be done on the exterior of the ship, while she was docked she dwarfed all the other ships appart from the Intruder Class warstar that was weeks from completion and the other Orion and Intruder class Warstars which were also being constructed. The Orion class took longer to construct due to her size and the complexity of the hull desing, the 2nd Orion class warstar wich was to be named Centaurus was still in the shipyard during the cylon attack. the number of orion class warstars which were ordered was unknow but estimates show that there were at least 3 more under construction during the cylon attack.

During the attack Goliath lead several other ships including, battlestars Tarus, Pacifica and Kobol and a dozen or so other support ships heading for Caprica were surrounded by 12 baseships and 1 very big unknown class of ship over the Colony Libran. Battlestar Kobol was the first to be destroyed when she suddenly lost power and all systems shorted out according to wireless communications between ships. The other battlestars and support ships perished shortly after with only 4 basestars destroyed. Goliath's Commander (Dante) ordered for a frontal charge and the firing of her forward guns on the unknown ship, she managed to do considerable damage to it before the remaining baseships shielded the ship and caught the full brunt of her forward batteries in a last ditch attempt to even the playing field. she took out 4 more base stars. After a 40 minute stand off with the remaining base stars and the unknown ship she was evnetually destroyed with all hands lost. her remaining viper pilots watched in horror as Goliath blew in half then her main reactor blew destroying the aft section and hurling the forward section towards a basestar detroying it.
    Shortly after the destruction of Goliath the Unknown ship jumped away never to be seen again.

Intruder:

REVISION V1.6
    This is a major revision!

INTRUDER CLASS WARSTAR SPECS:

Crew: 2000 to 3000, with a max evac limit of 10,000
    Original Crew: 1500

Post Colonial home system evac Crew:444(raptors and gunships, assumes 3 per vehicle)280(Viper Pilots)64(multi role craft)
    Total crew post evac estimate: 2288
    Probable crew post evac: 3055(guestimate)

demensions:
    Length - 2400m (pod length 400m)
    Width - 800m
    Height - 550m(with external Command Tower)
    Recovery bay length:550m

Fighter squadrons - 75 MK VII vipers, 50 MK VIII viper prototypes(alpha and beta models)
    Other craft - 20 MK I raptors 25 MK II raptors, 30 MK II raptor gunships and 20 experimental multi role craft. (Unknown classification)

Post Colonial home system evac Auxilliary Vehicle count:165 MK VII Vipers, 120 MK VIII Vipers, 32 MK I raptors, 41 MK II raptors, 75 MK II raptor gunships, 32 experimental multi role craft. (Unknown classification).

Armament - 60 multi role turrets(planned ,40 actually installed), 24 heavy anti capital turrets(planned,18 actually installed). 3 missile batteries ,deployed at the top towards the bow with 36 nuclear missle tubes, With a compliment of 36 warheads,(additional 36 nukes available after reloading) and 20 standard missile tubes, 2 sets of 16 missle tubes located inboard of drive pod crossovers, 8 fixed forward cannons.
    40 Point defense/Antiship minigun style Railguns.

Weapons system note: Intruder's guns can be used manned or unmanned as situations dictate.

Intruder's kew systems were modified late into the build phase to fire nukes, the net result is a warstar with a serious 'tude and a penchent for jammed magazine autoloaders(unintended consequnse of bein able to fire nukes this way) . her nuclear armament consists of 36 vertical launch missiles.
    unlike most other colonial ships, she does have an external command tower.
    however this is only used when performing docking maneuvers, or if spotting for the ships forward armaments is needed and is quite heavily armored as well as situated in between 3 different point defense stations.

*Weapons system note: all weapons in intruder class utilize a retract and cover scheme, to make it harder for an enemy with the element of surprise to disable her primary defenses.

Weapons system note:because of her ability to fire nukes from several of her turrets, the magazine auto loaders had a tendency to jam, this was because it was later determined to be a flaw with the autoloader design, the autoloader systems were later swapped for the same system equipped on the goliath class, solving the problem.

*Weapons system note: while her weapons loadout is less than that of the goliath class, the intruder class has 2o tons less magazine capacity and the same reserve ammo capacity as the goliath class.

*Weapons system note: Intruder also has a new weapons system based on the kew(kenetic energy weapon) designed for use against both cylon raiders and basestars.
    it functions similarly to the ciws system mounted on a nimitz class aircraft carrier.

*Weapons system note: While the Intruder class has her primary weapon emplacements gruoped together into several Main batteries located dorsally and ventrally, some of the emplacements were mounted along the sides of the ship, such as the several emplacements on the sides of the forward hull, just aft of the bow, thus enabling broadsides to be delivered to the enemy while the ship is under power.

4 primary drive engines, 2 secondary drive engines, 4 FTL drives and 8 sets of variable position manuvering thrusters placed 2 on the bow, 2 on each drive pod(total of 4 on pods) and 2 on the aft deck.
    note that each thruster group consists of 2 vents each(total of 16)

*Propulsion Systems note: Intruder class FTL modified for faster spinup, resulting in less prep time needed.

Other features - Hydroponics bay for growing various foods, Production Workshops for building new vipers and raptors and new types of fighters on extended missions, Flight simulators, Research Labs (again for extended missions) and the second ship in the fleet to carry a new non physical networked wirelessly networkable computer system.(wireless connectivity limited to inside of ship) and her own ore refinery.

*Note: her flightpods are more along the lines of flight bulges(for reduced vulnerability).
    Recovery Bay was built into the ventral hull and surrounded with defensive turrets for protection, it was also for this reason that its located right beneath the central hull section connecting the drive pods.

*Note: the actual viper launch tubes are mounted dorsally and ventrally, and angled away
    from the ship, avoiding vital structures. For this reason, intruder's vipers are actually required to land rotated landing gear pointed towards either the port or starboard walls of the recovery bay, depending on which set of launch tubes they were assigned to.
    *Armor note:Intruder class armor is thicker than that of the mercury class.
    and has bigger engines to compansate.

* Launch pods Weapons systems Note: several Rapid fire Ciws point defense turrets were carefully positioned to provide cover fire to both the pods and the vipers as they launch.

Recovery bay note: this bay can actually accomodate ships up to the size of a medium cargo ship. Typicaly these are slightly larger than the commercial transport that would later be known as Colonial One.
    That size restriction allows for continued recovery operations even with a ship docked.

She also mounts an experimental dual or Dopplar dradis system designed to track and target at distances. this new dradis is also capable of directing the ship's ciws style kew to shot and hit multiple incoming missiles.
    the warstar class was named intruder. a total of 30 were to be built. 2 were actually under construction at the time of the attacks.
    All ships of her class except for 2 were assumed lost and destroyed during the cylon invasion.

Note: Because the intruder class was experimental alot of the operational details of some of her systems were restricted to ships personal.
    She was built along side Goliath, using many of its systems, including an FTL system modified for faster spinning up, thus enabling faster jump prep.

Note: alot of the modified systems were installed on intruder and aries only, Their being prototypes, this was so the modifications could be tested prior to the modifications being implemented throughout both the Intruder and Goliath class'es.
    Intruder was intended to be a test bed for a whole new generation of Battlestar.

Intruder class ships are named after people as well as famous places, events, etc.

*indicates details restricted to ships personel.

Historical and Biographical notes on the Intruder Class:

In developement since the end of the first colonial/cylon war, the intruder class warstar corrects several severely compromising flaws in the mercury class design.

The new warstars will feature the latest in fleet technologies including new anti capital guns that are the same calibre as the forward forward fixed guns on Pegasus, a new anti fighter flack shell that can be fired from their multi purpose guns which are the same as the guns on Galactica and Pegasus.

Though still in a semi incomplete state, the intruder and aries were commissioned about 2 weeks prior to the goliath due to a request from special operations command for the first 2 ships of the class.

bearing no resemblance to past battlestars or warstars, she was intended as a bridge towards a new class of battlestar.
    In addition, The intruder class does have the capability to design and build additional starfighters as needed, so the small number of production prototype starfighters embarked on board is of no concern.

Built to be fast and tough, she sports multiple weapons emplacements and is capable of engaging at stand-off distances up to 3 basestars. Her armor is designed to shrug off all but the worst bombardments, enabling intruder to wade into any battle of her choice without fear. A planned total of 30 were projected to be built, however, dispite her advantages, of the 10 that were built, only 2 survived, brought down by the same trojan horse command navigation program that would see the end of almost the entire fleet.
    warstars intruder and aries only survived because of the unique network system they had just been fitted with after their arrival at a top secret shipyard, and because special operations command refused to allow installation of the command navigation program.

It is known as a compartmentalized computer mainframe network.
    At the push of a button, the entire network goes into localized systems mode, each part only operating systems in its area, with no physical or wireless links.
    this system was thought to be the only possible solution in terms of allowing networked computers,while negating the possibility of remote hacking induced systems shutdowns.

Warstars intruder and aries were spared only because they had just been assigned to guard a top secret colonial fleet ship yard built and hidden in a nubula years after the first cylon war.
    Rumors indicated that this shipyard was actually a long rumored command base for the colonil special operations command.
    these rumors were comfirmed by the yard commander during the fight to evacuate the facility after the cylons discovered it.

They were assigned while still undergoing installation of some of their ventral and dorsal weapons emplacements.

While Intruder and Aries had complete AAA Coverage, neither would see their remaining weapons batteries installed.

The shipyard would later be itself destroyed, as would aries as she attempted to cover the evacuation of the facility, unfortunately, she was outgunned by 12 basestars. Her fighters and raptors would later be rescued by intruder who herself would suffer an ftl system malfunction, which resulted in her jumping right into the ionian nebula, where she would be adrift for 2 weeks before what was left of the human fleet, lead by galactica would find her.

Prior to the malfunction, Intruder would be dispatched to asertain the fate of the goliath, which was 1 hour overdue at speacial operations command, only to learn from goliath's surviving viper pilots what had transpired.

Intruder would leave The ruins of the colonial worlds, engaging numerous basestars, occasionally picking up ships and crews who had not yet learned the fate of the colonies, subsequently, upon returning to the hidden shipyard, Intruder discovered it under attack, and found aries being blown to bits.
    Intruder was ordered by her commander(Conners)to cover the remainder of the evacuation, and to recover the aries's fighters and raptors.
    Later the Intruder would encounter the Pegasus, just days after Pegasus abandoned the Civilian fleet she had gathered.
    When Intruder's commander learned of this he immediatly left Pegasus against orders from Admiral Cain.
    Commander Conners Explained to Intruder's XO that "he was not under Admiral Cain's Chain of command".
    Intruder would later encounter the aftereffects of a pair super nova shockwaves.
    The First Damaged a key memory file needed for FTL jump calculations, the net result of which was Intruder wound up 15,000 light years farther than expected, right smack in the middle of the Ionian nebula, adrift, and with a damaged FTL and navigational mainframe. The malfunction resulted in a depletion of 75% of her reaction mass.

It would take the better part of 2 weeks to fix the damage, only for Intruder to suffer a sudden unexplainable loss of power right after the unexpected arrival of a fleet of unidentified Colonial ships.
    Power was restored 10 minutes after it failed, and after that the cylon fleet that was persuing galactica and its civilian fleet appeared.
    As Intruder and Galactica Deployed fighters, both ships exchanged a rather hurried series of "who goes there" challenges.

The stage was set for a climactic showdown, colonials against cylons, unknown contacts, in short all hell was breaking loose.

List of planned and operational ships in the Intruder class:
    Intruder- BSG 170 Status: OPERATIONAL
    Aries- BSG 171 Status: DESTROYED
    Apollo- BSG 172 Status: DESTROYED(while being constructed)
    Athena- BSG 173 Status: UNKNOWN-presumed lost with all hands
    Halcyon- BSG 174 Status: UNKNOWN-presumed lost with all hands
    Endeavor- WS 80 Status: UNKNOWN-presumed lost with all hands
    Herecleis- WS 91 Status: DESTROYED
    Concordia- BSG 175 Status: UNDETERMINED
    Pacifica- BSG 176 Status: DESTROYED(while being constructed)
    Alteras- BSG 177 Status: UNDETERMINED(confirmed to still be maneuvering under her own power shortly before Goliath took 3 Nukes to her midsection)
    Valiant- BSG 178 Status: DESTROYED
    Avenger- BSG 179 Status: DESTROYED
    Atlantis- *CSG 180 Status: OPERATIONAL(Location Unknown-Rumored to be special operations command's moble command ship)(* CommandStar Group)
    Phendrana- WS 101 Status: OPERATIONAL(Location unknown-assumed to be with Atlantis as part of her support fleet.)
    Remaining 18 ships of the class had not begun construction, as such they were not named or assigned to a ship group named

recon strike:

Version 1.0

Recon Strike

Specifications:

Size not known(my crud math skills are to blame yet again)

Weapons Systems:

X2 20mm Auto Cannon W. 850 rounds each (tungstun colbalt round with depleted uranium cores)
    x2 All range Anti Starfigher Missles (modified Lancer Missile)

Defensive Systems:

Decoy dispensors(x2)
    Jiggers
    Drones

Composite Frame
    Carbon-Carbon hull paneling

Other Features:
    Advanced Multi mode Dradis built right into leading and trailing edges of hull frame
    New Landing system:
    Variable wings that fold for landing, absorbing and spreading the shock of landing to the whole airframe.(net result-no main landing gear required)

Advanced Digital Fly-By-Wire Control system(due to unstable lawn dart aerodynamics)
    with built in EWS Protection Systems.

Armored "Bathtub" Cockpit
    Advanced Canopy and Helmet Visor integrated Hud(with magnetic position tracking Targeting Control)

Propulsion:
    Sublight Ion thrust drive(x2)*
    *Note: Ion thrust drive requires less fuel for same range and performance as MK VII Viper
    Advanced Integrated Short Range FTL Jump Drive Built By General Electric
    RCS system: Varible position thrusters located on nose, wingtips, Aft Equipment bay.

Biographical and Historical notes:

Designed by earth's United Nations Space Defense Command and built jointly by General Electric, Northrop, McDonnel Douglas, General Dynamics, Lockheed, B.A.E., Dassault, Sukhoi, And Rockwell International in response to Lt. Kara Thrace's Warning of the approaching Cylon Fleet, and built to be small, light, Fast, and agile.

Utilizing the very latest in technology the earth has to offer, her very design was an international effort.
    Built as a complement to the Defender class Earth Battleship, shes as hard to detect as she is fast.
    One of these on its own is no threat, but whole squadrons pose the most serious threat possible.

Her composite hull makes her as stealthy as a B2 Bomber.
    With agility and blindingly fast speed, shes as deadly as the very raiders shes meant to stop.

Using an advanced multi mode dradis, coupled with a helmet Hud, and magnetic tracking and targeting, combine to make her offensive systems, limited though they may be, exceptionally leathal.

Lt. Thrace would be sent back to Galactica with the specs for the recon strike, Earth's thank you for the advance warning, and incidentally as a way to identify the Colonial fleet as friendly, when they arrive at Earth.

MK VIII Viper prototype specs:

Type: Single seat all range Assault/Interceptor

Size not known(my crud math skills are to blame yet again)

Weapons Systems:
    2x 20mm auto cannons with capacity for 2000 rounds of ammo each(assumes loss of Lancer Missiles)normal-950 rounds.
    new mini missle system: Lancer Missiles- carried internally, max of 10 per interwing missle bay(unfortunate side effect of this new system is slightly thicker wings).
    Upgradable to 25 per wing with use of slinger missile launcher pods.

external racks for standard assortment of viper missle systems and *tactical nukes
    *issued only under last ditch desperate situations.

Defensive Systems:

Advanced composite armored hull
    New wingtip pod mounted EWS (Electronic Warfare Suite)(both wings) installed for obvious reasons detailed below.

Decoy dispensors(x2) Capable of using:
    Jiggers
    Drones
    Bug Zapper(new despensible jamming devices)

Propulsion:
    Sublight Ion thrust drive(x2)*
    *Note: Ion thrust drive requires less fuel for same range and performance as MK VII Viper
    Vertical take-off and landing capability

Other Features:

Advanced Multi mode Dradis built right into leading and trailing edges of hull frame.

Built in agumentation for the pilots lifesupport system

Advanced Digital Fly by Wire control, shielded by EWS(to prevent hacking attempts by opportunistic Cylon Raiders)

Advanced Canopy and Helmet Visor integrated Hud(with magnetic position tracking Targeting Control)

Her new design also incorperates 2 vertical and horizontial stablizer fins for increased atmospheric flight stability.

Misc Systems:
    She is also capable of using a new system called the fast pack system.
    this system is meant to give the viper capabilities it would not normally have.
    Fast packs Currently under developement include the sete-(starfighter embedded tactical enforcer) status- currently in the flip a coin and hope it works phase.

Current Operational Fast packs:
    FTL jumper pack- consisting of extra fuel pods and an FTL unit. status: undergoing developmental flight trials on warstar Intruder(max jumps:5-10 Depending on range and fuel reserves).
    Bomberman Bomblet Despenser Pods-Status: Operational
    Slinger Missile Launchers( 2 per wing), ups Lancer Capacity to 25 by removing the actual launching assembley from the wing and attaching the slinger pods.

Upgrade Report: due to the extreme miniaturization of the electronics on the recon strike, it was decided to overhaul all electronics on the MK VIII except the EWS.
    the new, smaller systems enable an increased fuel and weapons load
    the reason the ews on the viper did not recieve an upgrade was because the ews on the recon strike was designed specificly for the recon strike.

MK VIII Viper historical notes:

In developement for the past 15 years, she is an almost natural evoulution of the MK VII design, but built to fight.
    Intended to replace the current MK VII airframe, only a modest 150 were produced before the fall of the colonies.