Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattlestar Valkyrie

Infinity238Infinity2380 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Well It had to happen eventually, some one would be ether brave enough or stupid enough to try and model the Valkyrie. The way I figure is she was a one shot deal, "hero" is more then likely the last time we will see the Valk, so chances are we won't get any orthos of it any time soon(since none of Pegasus were ever given). So basically we have to work with what we have, since the only good reference shots are these, I was woundering if anyone had some higher res versions or differnt angles of any of them. Even if you have some Ideas about what it looks like I'm more then open.
gallery1242706vr3.jpg
gallery1244093um5.jpg
gallery1246490ef7.jpg
battlestarvalkyire1hk1vy0.jpg
gallery1249351rx1.jpg

And here is what I have layed out tonight, all of its just place holder. I'm more or less trying to figure out her layout and design before I worry about actually building her.
Post edited by Infinity238 on

• TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I think it's safe to say the you could probably referrence the Pegasus drive section and be pretty damned close to the Valkyrie. From what I know of production pipelines, the modeling team wouldn't have had too much time to build her and wouldn't have put much effort in to her (as opposed to Galactica and Pegasus who would get WAY more screen time). I'd imagine they'd have taken pieces directly off the Pegasus mesh and slapped them onto the Valkyrie. In case I'm wrong this, correct me.
  • CanisDCanisD0 Posts: 0Member
    To me the engines don't really look like Pegasus at all. The seem more angular, almost triangular in cross section, with sloping fronts. The shape reminds me somewhat of the nacelles on the Enterprise-E, only shorter. It looks like the forward pod supports are closer together than what is on the model.
    You could be right. One thing I don know, is that the Valkyrie is decidedly less detailed than the Galactica or Pegasus for obvious reasons. All the close ups of the ship have high contrast light to hide lack of details and the far shots the ship is suddenly more evenly lit. I do agree that the flight pods are pushed up on the hull of the ship but it's also possible that it just appears like that b/c the ship's keel is actually longer than the Peg or G.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Index of /files/bsg/valkyrie/

I hope I could help.
  • bsg reconbsg recon0 Posts: 0Member
    i agree that the ship Valkyrie may be longer than either the galactica or pegasus. I think that detailing the Valkyrie may reveal that she is a command ship or other type of specialized Battlestar
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Another Battlestar survived? Makes you wonder how many Battlestars survived the 'holocaust'. So far it appears to be one a season. :)

I'll have to wait and see this one.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Nevets wrote: »
    Another Battlestar survived? Makes you wonder how many Battlestars survived the 'holocaust'. So far it appears to be one a season. :)

I'll have to wait and see this one.

Actually, the scenes Valkyrie is in are flashbacks from before the attack. It's from the episode "Hero".

Sweet job so far Infinity, I really like this design and I'm sure your's will be awesome.
  • Infinity238Infinity2380 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, thanks all. Some of those pics helped, I am also borrowing a copy of "Hero" from a friend so I should be able to get a better look at it.

Does it look to anyone else, that the back of the flight pods is a differnt shape than the front? more triangular?
  • 1of331of330 Posts: 0Member
    Looking at the pic`s i would say that the back of the pods is a differnt shape from the front
    The front of the pod is more of a box and the back of the pod is more of triangle
  • KrasesKrases0 Posts: 0Member
    1of33 wrote: »
    Looking at the pic`s i would say that the back of the pods is a differnt shape from the front
    The front of the pod is more of a box and the back of the pod is more of triangle

yeah, the front of the pod is more....trapaziodal...but the back is a triangle.

I never say the mini series, this makes me want to go see it just for that ship lol.
    Its not in the mini series. The only Battlestar seen in the miniseries is the Galactica, and a distant shot of a destroyed Battlestar that looks to be of the same class as Galactica. There was an interesting rumor on Ain't it Cool News that the proposed Galactica DVD movie may cover the Cylon attack from the point of view of the Pegasus, so who knows, we may see the Valkyrie type again after all.
    CanisD wrote: »
    Its not in the mini series. The only Battlestar seen in the miniseries is the Galactica, and a distant shot of a destroyed Battlestar that looks to be of the same class as Galactica. There was an interesting rumor on Ain't it Cool News that the proposed Galactica DVD movie may cover the Cylon attack from the point of view of the Pegasus, so who knows, we may see the Valkyrie type again after all.

for real ??
    Well, it was a rumor on AICN, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    "It's going to be 'Pearl Harbor,' and we'll see the return of the Pegasus. The story takes place during the time after the Cylon attack as seen in the mini-series."
    They also reported a rumor the same day, from someone who has a friend who has a family member who supposedly works on the show saying it had been cancelled, which Sci Fi quickly denied. So, until there is confirmation consider it a rumor only. AICN says the source is reliable though and it would be nice. I suppose they could rebuild the Pegasus sets if needed since they were taken down to make room for the Basestar interior.
    If thats true I think it would be awsome, but AICN can have news posted by any one correct? I'm detailing the head of Valkyrie atm so I might have some wip images by tomorrow.
    Heres how she's looking so far. I've just done some panneling work,theres no real greebling to speak of atm. Not to mention the aft halve of the ship has recieved little too no atention yet, I also have to build the weapons because Valkyrie dosn't use the standard kenetic guns.:rolleyes:

I'm actually starting to like the design of the ship now, In an ugly sort of way.:D
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Man I havent seen this ship just yet. I like. I like the size and layout and the non retracting flight pods. Cant wait to see her finished!
  • PavewayPaveway0 Posts: 0Member
    Not that there is anything wrong with the model, but I think the design is just butt ugly.
    Don't worry, I know for a fact that she is the ugly duckling of bsg.
  • HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
    Don't worry, I know for a fact that she is the ugly duckling of bsg.

The Mega-Maid of BSG ;)

Fine modelling and detailing :) You're doing amazing for not having such great reference material...
    ^LOL

yeah i have started to notice that the battlestars look like people- a head, body, and flight pods as arms. interesting.
    Working on some weapons, btw I dont know if anyone noticed after I watched the episode again I noticed the missle dosn't get fired from the barrel of the forward gun. There is a missle battery on the side of the turret.

"It's Mega-maid, shes gone from suck to blow!":lol:
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Awsome. People dont like the design .....well.....I guess everyone is entitled to his/her own opinions. I dont think she is ugly. She IS sort of stubby looking-agreed. GLAD to see a bsg ship without the ribs exposed. Galactica showed alot of her guts because her armour was destributed out to the fleet because she was being decomissioned. Rib detailing is neat(looks cool) but line ships are covered with armour. Or is every ship in the bsg universe on the verge of the scrapyard???:p Infinity238 you are doing a phenominal job. She looks great! She looks like an older battlestar indeed.
  • Cyba_stormCyba_storm171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the fact this isn't the "PRETTIEST" battlestar in the fleet. It looks like it was designed to do a job. Kick ass on basestars and kill cylons. It isn't some namby pamby cruise liner. It is death on steroids.

You could make it twice as ugly (NOT THAT I THINK IT'S UGLY),and it would STILL look better than the Pegasus. That thing looked like an over stuffed pet food sausage. I hated it.

Nice work.
    nice Keep it up:thumb: :thumb:
  • casivonacasivona0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice!! I wish I could be making this kinda progress on my battlestar!
    It helps when your out of school for 4 days of the week. (light workload this semester) The thing I'm looking forward to the most is giveing her a "bottom", since there is nothing to go by. I'm also useing some of punchface's greebles which are very nice I must say.
    On that note, (I have school tomorrow) I will post my update for today. Basically been studing the 3 or 4 shots from "Hero" over and over, For the most part I've figured out the basic engine shape.
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow looks pretty good, despite the lack of references and the horrid nature of the ship. I really wanted to like this ship when it came on but wow, it really really dissapointed me. I think the Death Star wants its turbo lasers back :P

But i digress, thats a good looking model of it, your getting better with each one.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    wow, gone for two weeks and i miss this? Keep up the good work, you've got a fine start on her, better references too. Best i could ever find were blurring DIVX captures of the episodes that someone posted online.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Doesn't look 'ugly' to me. What are you going on about?