Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLeviathan Class Carrier for Main SGC Thread

• elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    ok well a little slow on the update, mainly because the gun design felt good or ok to me but it didnt fit the ship felt more atlantian than sgc, although i know this will be built with that tech, just didnt feel human...

so i went back to the drawing boards, looked at some guns on battleships of the sea, since this was inspired by a real carrier, and felt this had the most human scifi feel to it...its still in its infancy but had to post something of what my idea was going about....all in all they will be large/small enough to mount four on each side of the ship up front on the front pylon-wings...

still way more to go but i like the barrel design tons better and the offset rotated feel as well...
  • Free-LanceFree-Lance0 Posts: 0Member
    Dude why not use mag rails?

Dual barrow, open frag design, that allows the degenerate matter ( jelliton foam, usually) that expands when fired?
    Free-Lance wrote: »
    Dude why not use mag rails?

Dual barrow, open frag design, that allows the degenerate matter ( jelliton foam, usually) that expands when fired?

if its the term i think your using, as in mag, or mag rail, it means Magnetc Accelerator Gun (MAG), which covers 4types that i know of, GaussGun, RailGun, CoilGun, MassDriver.

a gaussgun and coilgun are basically the same thing just different types of magnets that accelerate the slug

railgun, uses two side rails wrapped in coils magnets etc, and use a electric current to charge the rails and run the projectile threw the barrell, currently in design phases with modern technology, a melting point is achived at the beggening of the firing process, where when you charge the rail to fast, it can bond the projectile to the rail...also cant forget the saturation of the projectile in a railgun is far greater chance of happening than in a coilgun, but doesnt mean they cant both do the same thing...just different means, but coils are the stronger of the two on paper...

gauss guns use electromagnets, while coilguns use solenoids...but the attractive thing about gaussguns, is in rudementary forms and advanced forms, you wouldnt even need electricity to fire the projectile, in fact a simple kids gauss rifle consists of 4magnets, 7 steel balls tape and a ruler, no electricity needed and you can fire a steel ball with 4times the force at the end of a foot ruler than what you started with...

in the end, though MAG rail, is the same idea as a CoilGun or Gauss gun, because they all use the same basic principle, Magnetic Accelerator Gun...
    well im just loving this new pc for blender, rendering with 6threads at once with blender internal (going to try yafray later tonight) and something that would take in upwards of 20+mins to render is now taking less than 4mins...

anyhow a small test render of where the guns will be mounted, now to cut the wings to fit them, greeble, detail, etc...I believe these are the biggest guns on the ship so far...probably mount two in the rear...maybe well see
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    My goodness... Those guns are big...
    Looking great!
    Bar.
    Dude thats hot!

Love the way you got the guns on the wings!
    did abit of cut away at the wing for a flat platform for the guns to be on, now going to add details and some greebles to that section, as well as finish the wing before i post another update...

i gotta start rendering into much bigger pictures lol, you can barely make out any details in these full ship renders, anyone wanna suggest a picture size for a full screen render that might be better?
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    I've been using 1024x800 on a couple of my projects
    I may have said this before, but i think the ship needs a "face".
    Not necessarily the same as Daedalus or Prometheus, but it needs something at the front, i think...
    It is not a major thing, but to my mind It's missing something...
    I love the cut-outs for the cannons, though.
    Bar.
    Bar wrote: »
    I may have said this before, but i think the ship needs a "face".
    Not necessarily the same as Daedalus or Prometheus, but it needs something at the front, i think...
    It is not a major thing, but to my mind It's missing something...
    I love the cut-outs for the cannons, though.
    Bar.

true, just dont know what to put there, because below the top deck is the hangar bay exits, huge ones at that, the go from the top to bottom of the ship split in two...maybe on the left side of the front wing i can put a front stick out LATRN pod like thing, kida what the orion in sg-a has...

here is the front ortho for what im talking about...you can see the huge top deck hanger for the deadalus and the two bottom ones for the fighters and bombers...the ship is like 70% hallow from all the different fighter/deadalus/crew/recarational/caption/officer type aircraft that is in the darn thing lol

and just for giggles in the ortho the deadalus is off to the upperleft for size comparison

DIAL-UP WARNING...image is 3840 x 1024!!!

frontorthoia5.jpg
    I didn't mean you have to add anything, just that i thought it could do with something.
    Don't feel you need to design it by committee!
    That is an impressive ortho. I love it! It could take on a hive ship, then...
    Bar.
    thanks, im almost done with the wing design, playing with nurnies for it, tubes etc etc...

i know, i dont need to design it by commitee, buuuut, i do agree the front looks off, but at the same time it looks extremely streamlined, but like i need a pod of som sorts up front, just dont know what yet, something to break off the symetry abit but not much hmmm
  • those guns are absolutely massive!
    Dallidas wrote: »
    those guns are absolutely massive!

That's just what i was thinking!!!
    Judging from the size of the Daedalus in that image, those cannons have to be close to 300 metres long...
    :eek!:
    well almost done with the front wing mounts...

added two deadalus on top as if they were in wet-dock...

sorry the textures didnt go with the deadalus ship, they came out looking like white clay lol, easy fix so no prob there

but enjoy almost done, just adding plausable nurnie details let me know what ya think, might do a top ortho of the front section just to see both sides of the ship, plus orthos are fun
    Impressive. Most impressive...
    Bar.
  • RJBRJB201 Posts: 182Member
    Looking great elitewolverine.
  • harriswharrisw0 Posts: 0Member
    OMG! Just one shot from those guns could take out a mothership! It looks like an artillery shell would be at least as big as a puddle jumper!
  • my jaw drops each time i see an update. really great work.
  • while it does seem overly large for the universe, it does look great!
  • Dallidas wrote: »
    while it does seem overly large for the universe, it does look great!

actually i think its about the same size as an ancient warship, but hey lets not start that discussion! :D

Kudos to elitewolverine, the greeble detail is excellent, although i really want to now what the crate/box behind the forward gun is for :p . And the cannons look cool. Very battleship like. :devil: Great work mate :thumb:
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    although i really want to now what the crate/box behind the forward gun is for :p

That's a borg cube...
  • Choo1701 wrote: »
    although i really want to now what the crate/box behind the forward gun is for :p
    maybe ammo?
    hehe actually i got it setup as a kind of like radar jammer at the moment idea, cause of the design of it...

i did a overbevel python routine and that was the result, i liked it and setup some boxes around it for like a patchwork of something, and so far the best idea i could muster was the radar jam idea because of the different angels etc of the box....

but it might change muahaha, there'll be another update tonight hehe, after this front wing part, im moving to the rear wing platform, im like in wing nurnie greeble mode
    Come on guy MORE,MORE!
  • stop badgering him he will release updates on his own terms man
    i dont mind to much badgering, lets me know my mesh has a few fans...

after i uploaded the orion mesh, and saw how my pc liked the 1.4million mark, this carrier now quickly at 942,600 verticies (points) is getting there quickly and i dont think thats with the missle hatchets on...

but i do think it needs a new pic update...here is my work on the rear wing section, as well as the upper back section of the side hangars etc that i had already done...

and i havent even gotten to the rear cargo hold nor under the ship yet....
    It's looking amazing. I can't wait to see it when the entire ship has been greeblied and panelled like that small top section that you super-detailed a while back!
    Bar.
    this is for you render nuts, started more work on the wing, and more work near the side hangars...

hope you like the picture took awhile to render...(well more than my usual that is) oh yea just for giggles, the verticie count was almost 2.3million for this scene, face count at 1.7million (not polygons, but mostly quads)

PS. if any one has finished or unfinished models they want me to do a quick scene render in, like this one, with daedy's or my ship or 302's or any combination in any setup, leave me a message with small details and a place i can get your mesh at, obj 3ds lwo all ok by me...but beware i dont do textures so it will look like this just a fun clay render, this is not for cinematic renders just fun renders...

scenetestaj7.jpg
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    WOW!

Nice render. I know it's a big ship, but it looks like the Leviathan-class carries a couple of Daedalus'. Very, very nice.