Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Booleaned Object and the Greeble Plugin

efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
It seems that the greeble plugin will not work on objects that have previously been booleaned. Even if they have been converted back to editable polys.

Can anyone tell me why this is and/or if there is a 'fix' for is? At the moment, it's not a big deal, but I could see it being a problem at some point later on.

Almost forgot, I'm using 3D Studio 8 SP3 with the standard Max 7/8 Greeble plugin.

Thanks!
Post edited by efritsch on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    You dont mention if you Did cut sub add etc in the operation. Bollean itself is pretty messy EXP sub, add, join, intercect.

It prolbably is because your attempting to greebe a face with loose verts, more than four edges, or theres doubled faces someplace. I never really used the plug itself for much other than distance building making.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • NamelezzNamelezz0 Posts: 0Member
    The greeble plugin only works with Quads an Tris. If a poly has more than four verts, it won't don anything with that poly. Try looking at that first.
  • ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, you could try to triangluate everything, then apply greeble and see if it works.

Booleans in Max9 have been greatly improved! And I mean really really massivley greatly improved. They even work for building meshes which will get a meshsmooth modifier later on (to some extend). It won't give you high quality close up meshsmoothed surfaces. Boxmodelling it is still better than boolean operations. But for medium to far distance shots it works fantastic!
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Okay, so I understand about the Quads and Tris but have another questions about booleaned objects.

I've booleaned an object a few times now and when I tried again, half the mesh goes missing. Can anyone tell me why that is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    perhaps the wrong type of boolean? as in difference and intersect?
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    mesherrors from the booleans. You dont want to boolean a object too many times or it becomes a mess.
    Go into vert mode while the mesh is a editable poly and see if you dont have loose verts etc. Verts should only be on the intersects of edges. If you got verts all over its time for clean up
    Second go to midifiers and clisk STL then run that and count the errors.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.