Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3d studio max 8 material layout

General_ZodGeneral_Zod0 Posts: 0Member
Is it possible to set the material layout beyond the 6x4 default.
Post edited by General_Zod on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I'm pretty sure that's the limit. I wish they would update the material editor. It's been the same since I started using Max 3 and I hear it was that way in 1 and I think it's showing its age. It's a pain to navigate complex materials in the editor.

Personally I really wish that they would go to a Maya style node based set up in the editor. There are some plugins and scripts out there say they do just that, but I wish it was a built in option.

Sorry for the rant.
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    you mean the material editor sample sphere display?

just press M to bring up the editor, while thats the focus press X a couple of times.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I think he means to display more materials than it allows as default.

When I start running out I make a few of the ones I'm not likely to use again unto multi sub materials.

Either that or you can start up max and merge your mesh into a blank project, that way you have your old model with all its textures, and still have a full blank set of materials to make new ones with.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9791 Posts: 5,322Member
    Eh I just add new ones as I go if I need a particular one later on that isnt displayed I use the eyedropper or go into the list and have it list scene only and go from there. Gets a bit messy once you have a tonne of objects in a scene but NAMING the mats often helps.
    Too add more just right click anywhere in the mat view then choose the #X# you want max is 4X6 ( the X thing works too prolly easier too heh)
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • Stev0Stev00 Posts: 0Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Gets a bit messy once you have a tonne of objects in a scene but NAMING the mats often helps.

Bang! you hit it on the head.

You really have to condition yourself to organize your textures and levels with proper names much the same as objects. It comes back to bit you on the ass when you are searching for certain things or parts and it's all box_0231 instead of RtRrStrutSupport_upper for example.

I love the Mat Editor and for some reason I always found myself neck deep in layers of it just in procedurals. :D

I admit it is old and somewhat dated but it's recognizable to ppl who use max in much the same way as the general layout is to someone who used 1.2 over ppl who started with 3DSdos.
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    I read a trick to overcome this issue was to set up a layer with just cubes or spheres and when you add a texture to your mesh, put one on your cube. When you run out of slots just eyedropper over what you need then close the layer.
  • ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    I think it's a major pain in the ass that you can't have a complete list of all the materials that you've got. And I mean more than just the 6x4 materials you get from the material manager.

I have more than 24 materials in nearly every scene I made in Max. Eyedropping it back is really quite clumsy. Can't we just have a list like the objects list you get when you press "h" on your keyboard? They could even just add a "show materials" option to that very window. Would be so much better. (Along with a node based material system :D )
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    That problem is one of the reasons why I usually use multi/sub materials even if they were intended for a different purpose. In case of a typical Trek ship there´s one for the saucer, one for the nacelles and one for the rest. This may take up more resources but at least it allows me to have all materials readily available to me whenever I need to access them.
    what I dont get is how hard is it to bring up the material list and select scene?? Itll show all your mats in the scene. If you name them right off you shouldnt have to suffer digging all over. YES a better system would be nice but god Id hate to have all my mats displayed on the root menu, EXP when working with huge ass maps it would bog like v6 procesing urine. Personaly Id rather have a layer system set up for maps within the material themself so I dont have 20 mix maps all stepped within eachother to get a controlable changeable mixing of maps.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    bring up the material list and select scene?? Itll show all your mats in the scene.

Where is that? Has it been there in Max6 as that is the last Max I used?
    I think its been there since at least 5. hold on a bit and Ill screen cap it.
    Attachment not found.
    note my crappy ass management too, I obviously do not follow my suggestions well lol.
    I'm very sorry - it's official now that I'm too stupid to find the most simply features of 3d programs when I need them but keep on bragging that it's crappy :D