Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Textures

Valhalla87Valhalla870 Posts: 0Member
Bit of a noob question. I'm really new to 3d modelling, just started with the free personal learning edition of maya. I've used most of the tutorials and read through a tutorial book that I bought, but I still can't fix this. I was bored and messed around a bit, trying to make a stargate-ish earth ship, this is what I came up with:

firstship1.jpg

then I tried to add a texture to see what it looked like.. and this happened:

firstship2.jpg

I've tried and tried to fix it but it always comes out stretched! Is there a way to fix it? Or is it a problem with how I modelled the ship?

Thanks!
Post edited by Valhalla87 on

• backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    try a google search for Maya texturing tutorials, and look for ones on unwrapping :thumb:
    personally I don't know maya, but it's certainly a mapping problem
  • ernestoernesto0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know maya. But in blender I would say try with flat/cube/tube or sphe in the map input area.

Ciao
  • Valhalla87Valhalla870 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks, I found some tutorials about UV wrapping/unwrapping. I also found an automatic mapping button :D Looks better, but still a long way to go..

Thank :)
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix0 Posts: 0Member
    I only toyed with a free version of Maya years ago. From the looks of it, it looks like a UV map that isn't sized right. Maybe that will give you a direction to work in.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Automatic mapping is rarely all it is cracked up to be in Maya. I find its only use is if I'm not actually going to be hand-editing the texture. It is great if I'm going to surface paint the item - then I simply don't care how the UVs are set up. But automatic mapping almost invariably makes a hideous mish-mash of Escher shapes which are next to impossible to decipher and edit in your image app of choice.

Follow the tutorials, and practise. Practise, practise, practise. UV mapping is more of an art than a science.

Nearly everyone on here would perform dark rituals to obtain a fast, stable and easy way to UV unwrap a complex mesh in a way that is easy to edit.