Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Planet tutorials

StarTrek3dStarTrek3d0 Posts: 0Member
I'd like to be able to create a huge variety of planets and after looking all over the forums I only found a old pdf document directing me to broken links. Is there a great tutorial for creating planets?
Post edited by StarTrek3d on

• JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Check out the STAR VOYAGE TUTORIALS. The link is on the right side of my links page. There are some pretty cool links on that site...

J
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    nice site JeffrySG :) lots of great stuff there
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    I've used this tutorial and it works very well...

3dm3.com Since 2001- FREE 3DS MAX MODELS FREE 3DS MAX TUTORIALS MODELING CAR BLUEPRINTS 3D GALLERY 3D GIRLS CG MOVIES DOWNLOADS

And JefferySG, I bookmarked your page a couple weeks ago, nice work, very useful...Thanks!!
  • StarTrek3dStarTrek3d0 Posts: 0Member
    Both tutorials are great :) the Solar Voyager planets looked great but they were only 2D circles, I'm looking for a way to make maps I can apply to planet meshes to render in the scene. The second link was great as far as creating the planet mesh I am going to bookmark both! Is there a tutorial though for creating the .jpg (or whatever format) of the planet to apply to the mesh though?
  • backsteptbackstept2060 Posts: 922Member
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/6099-interactive-planet-creation-tutorial.html

aszazeroth was doing this great tutorial :D
    I certainly learned a lot from it :D
  • EoraptorEoraptor1 Posts: 0Member
    Actually, planets don't take a lot of work... if you have a good marbleizing plug-in for your paintshop program of choice (PSP X for me) like Eyecandy 4000 or 5.1, (or some older of marbleEYES or XenoFX) and know how to work the black and grey values for transparency on your grey-scale settings can make excellent gas-giants and cloud layers.

Just make a square pattern of Marble (banded marble is better than regular if you have that option) This will be your color-map textures.

Then make two greyscales from it; one directly, and then one that is grey-scale, and then invert the colors. These will make your transparency and bump-maps.

Just start nesting spheres one inside another till you obtain your desired level of intricacy. The same trick works for using a simple photomap for earth-type planets, then slapping a cloud layer over it in another sphere. It works for rings as well, but you have to use a lot more transparency or multiple maps.

if anyone wants, I can do up a tut of this. :D
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    Sar wrote: »
    nice site JeffrySG :) lots of great stuff there
    BEMEUP wrote: »
    And JefferySG, I bookmarked your page a couple weeks ago, nice work, very useful...Thanks!!

Thanks guys! glad you found it useful!
  • StarTrek3dStarTrek3d0 Posts: 0Member
    If you could do that Eoraptor that would be great. The most recent tutorial posted is great but it uses a 30 day demo program. I'm looking for a way to generate or create or a little of both a planet covering (and then get more detailed from there Eoraptor began to mention. Could you make a tutorial of that Eoraptor (or anyone else who knows how or has a tutorial for makeing a planet skin) ??
  • RamielRamiel336 Posts: 0Member
    Our "planet master" Aszazeroth was posting a step-by-step tut here some time ago... try a little search;)
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    backstept wrote: »
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/member-tutorials/6099-interactive-planet-creation-tutorial.html

aszazeroth was doing this great tutorial :D
    I certainly learned a lot from it :D

Opps, I guess I better continue that one =) glad you learned from it... I learned from making it ...