Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

how to render something backwards?

dunkellicdunkellic0 Posts: 0Member
hey, well iA’ve done a little animation for my father (for work), problem is, that basically i need the animation running backwards.
now i know (btw, me=3dsmax ne......ewbie) how to play it backwards in 3dsmax, but when i want to render the whole thing as an .avi file, the animation will still go forward - i didnt find any options in the render-menue that would help me (setting the timeframe from 200-0 doesnt work^^) - and i dont want to replace all those keys, it probably would be faster to do the animation from scratch again

if it is not possible to do this in 3dsmax, could some of you perhaps point me out if it is possible to make it play backwards with any video editing tool (ive tried windows moviemaker but it doesnt seem that it is possible there either),
thx in advance, dunkellic :)
Post edited by dunkellic on

• SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    If you can't do it any onther way, you could always render it out to stills then reform them into a complete animation using a compositor / sequencer.
  • dunkellicdunkellic0 Posts: 0Member
    do you mean rendering every frame as jpeg instead of rendering them all into one avi file^^?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    yes. then use something like virtual dub to make an avi out of them. (backwards of course)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    You can do it in Max. In the dope sheet you can select and reverse time ranges. Open up the dope sheet: Graph Editors>Track View - Dope Sheet. Activate "Select Time," select the time segment you want reversed and then hit the "Reverse Time" key.
    ah thank you very much ndege, it worked :)
  • DAveDAve0 Posts: 0Member
    dunkellic wrote: »
    do you mean rendering every frame as jpeg instead of rendering them all into one avi file^^?

This is generally a better practice anyway - That way if you have a problem or crash part way through you don't loose the whole thing.

DAve
  • Andrew MarchAndrew March0 Posts: 0Member
    / Absolutely Dave, best practice is always to render as an image sequence then produce your final rendered animation using an editing package (After Effects or Premiere). You'll have much greater control over certain post production effects and certainly better control over sound and music.
  • ZabieglyZabiegly176 Posts: 0Member
    but use tga and not jpeg. tgas are lossless and can carry alphachannels.
    allright, thx everyone :)