Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2013 in Work in Progress #1
R2_Low_Angle_1.jpg

This is a slightly modified version of the R2 I did for the Star Wars Complete Visual Dictionary.

_Mike
72809.jpg
Post edited by mverta on
Tagged:

• BAKMSBAKMS0 Posts: 0Member
    SWEET !!
    Excellent work
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, dammit, no posting pictures! :devil:

But in all seriousness, seeing this, I shat a squirrel. NICE!!! :thumb:

Cheers,
    Nick
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    ah..yes the nice artoo..BUT...does it fly..;)
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    al3d wrote: »
    ah..yes the nice artoo..BUT...does it fly..;)

Fuck no. What a stupid idea.

:D

_Mike
  • RodavanRodavan236 Posts: 66Member
    Excelent render :thumb:
  • nico-r44nico-r44179 Posts: 157Member
    Just want to tell you again Mike, it's a master piece, and of course five stars from me*****
  • Bug 2000Bug 2000171 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome render, as always.

Take care, mate.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Thats just freaking sweet.

Are you sure its not just a photo of the prop? :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    The CG R2 that appears in the films is much less realistic than this.

Impressive work. *****

:thumb:
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Niiiiiice! You said "slightly modified" - any changes we might notice?
  • Bug 2000Bug 2000171 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Mike,

Please post some more renders of this beautiful baby. :D

Take care, mate. :thumb:
    I will, there are just a few more things I want to do.. a couple more scratches and dust here and there... I've gotten a hold of the ior data for the dichroic plastic lens, so I'll be putting that in... you know, WIP stuff :devil:

_Mike
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    A thing of beauty indeed, Mike!

I find it interesting that Lucasfilm commisioned you to create another R2-D2 model, rather than using the one ILM created for the prequels (or just taking an actual photograph of one of the R2s from the OT).

Did LFL specifically ask you to create this one, or did they see it online and ask you to create some shots for the Visual Dictionary?
  • darthviper107darthviper107331 Posts: 0Member
    Is that the one you were working on with Maxwell?
    Lucasfilm saw the previous version I had online, hired me on that basis, and were happy to use that one, but I asked to be allowed to improve it; they agreed. So I went to the archives at the Ranch and spent a couple of days taking reference photos, measurements, etc. In addition to the external body, I also did a number of internal components, arms, lenses, etc.

The man I worked with, Don Bies (ILM modelmaker, R2 wrangler and former custodian of the archives) actually had my old R2 as his desktop wallpaper for about a year before we even met - so it just goes to show you, you never know who's watching :D

And yes, it was rendered in Maxwell. It was rendered at 6k resolution in 8 hours.

_Mike
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Bleep Bloop?
    -R2D2
    Really great!!!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    wow, that is nice!
    B.J. wrote: »
    Niiiiiice! You said "slightly modified" - any changes we might notice?

If you have the Visual Dictionary around you'll see tons... well, depending on how anal you are. Like with every other job, the great lament is time... we had a TON of work to do in an extremely short time - it was 20 hour days right from day 1. I'm happy with the work, but there's always room for improvement, so that's what I'm doing now :D

_Mike
  • darthviper107darthviper107331 Posts: 0Member
    Heh, lucky you. Makes me eager to see the 1:1 scale R2-D2 and C-3PO that Sideshow Collectibles is making. Can never get enough of our favorite little robot.
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    Holy crap, thats fantastic. When I grow up I want to be able to do that.... :p
  • Beautiful render and materials.

That's crazy Bies had your pic. I guess he's a fan/admirer of CGI. You didn't ask how he saw your pic did you? It's always interesting to know that people in the industry are lurking around, here, SF3D, TFN, etc.
    Yeah, a couple of other people I bumped into during the project did, too... I'm sure I asked where he got it; I just don't remember what he said... I think it was somehow related to TheForce.net, where the Halloween desktop image was talked about, and that quickly spread to StarWars.com, etc... I'm not sure. But it's always been my professional experience that the path to getting work is more random and indirect than you could ever imagine. So I've always focused on just doing the best work I can and letting the universe handle the rest...

_Mike
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    I'll be really impressed if you also modelled Kenny Baker for inside it ! :)

Superb work !
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I think I could just about model the restraining bolt.
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Holy testicle tuesday! It looks real man.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, a trip into the archives to take measurements.

What's next, Mike the 8' ISD II model, or the 5' Millenium Falcon? If you have access, use it!
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    wxcellent work man :thumb:
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok next time you decide to go and model something completely mindblowing!.......Can you record it? :D
    We unpacked 3 R2's from their crates (including that famous crate with the travel dates on it, the one from the original Tunisia shoot) and were going to take photos of them, right there in the main archive room, with everything from Star Wars to Raiders to... well, everything, right in the background, but then Don got nervous about that, so we had to wheel them just outside the roll-up door and photograph them there. At the time, I was so utterly in shock from just having put on the original Vader mask that I wasn't going to put up a fight...

Here, just to rub it in:

(If you look closely, the one on my left is the one I took most of the textures from...)

:D

_Mike
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    mverta wrote: »
    We unpacked 3 R2's from their crates (including that famous crate with the travel dates on it, the one from the original Tunisia shoot) and were going to take photos of them, right there in the main archive room, with everything from Star Wars to Raiders to... well, everything, right in the background, but then Don got nervous about that, so we had to wheel them just outside the roll-up door and photograph them there. At the time, I was so utterly in shock from just having put on the original Vader mask that I wasn't going to put up a fight...

Here, just to rub it in:

(If you look closely, the one on my left is the one I took most of the textures from...)

_Mike

:eek!: Dude... how did you even manage to hold the camera still... I mean I'd have just sat right down and died on the spot:rolleyes: Must have been mindblowing!

SO how did it smell in there... could you feel the force zipping around or something!

I'm sorry! but I'm really really envyous of you:D

Awsome model:thumb: