Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DStarship Erebus-Revisited

Startrek91481Startrek91481171 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Hey alls Miss me? LOL I doubt it. Anyway this is a WIP i've been working on for far too long, and I probably will never finish it. Everytime I get it to where I like it I either find an error or change my mind as to what I like about it. Well anyway I have not toyed with it since I got illustrator so I figured what the hell . Here is an elevation. Still lot to do to it obvously but what I'm looking for are comments on the secondary hull. I think it's better than the original, but that could be just me.
Elevation.gif
96572.jpg
Post edited by Startrek91481 on
Tagged:

• JoeRalatJoeRalat176 Posts: 486Member
    Looks good. The only thing that I would change is the scale of the windows..Its like its has ALOT of decks.. :D
  • Startrek91481Startrek91481171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments
    The reason for all the windows is because it has a lot of decks. 69 to be exact. It's a little shorter than a Romulan Warbird (80 something decks), but longer with nacells.
    Wow thats alot of decks.. Maybe you can try a new window system. Maybe some like voyagers.
  • Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    She sure is a big one. Can't wait until the next update. Great work
    Alrighty the Size comp for refernace only. The other ships were from DITL.org. The shape for the saucer is obviously not the true shape. Also a minor update. Made the windows a little more sparse tweeked the base gradiant, and added escape pods. Corrected the aft flight deck doors which were something like 7 decks high which were supposed to only be three.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    very nice work, sure is a big ship.. glad shes on our side...
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    i would also increase the size of te saucer its to small compared to the battle section
    i would also increase the size of te saucer its to small compared to the battle section
    I will deffinatly play with it. The battle section is kinda bulky to accomidate the fighter, and support squadrons. I think we were at 8 squadrons last I checked.
    very nice work, sure is a big ship.. glad shes on our side...
    Thanks. The Tech manual I've been working on has it as the only ship of the class to be produced
    finnaly got a forward view I actually like. the forward egress into the flight deck had traditionally given me fits, but for some reason it all came togehter tonight. The saucer is from a design I never finished. It makes a great place holder until I can make a saucer for real.
    that looks pretty good... cant wait to see how it looks with the acuall scaucer..
  • AethernautAethernaut0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the overall shape but I really don't like those scaled up Sovereign looking nacelles. They look out of place. I like the look of the original nacelles you were going with. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the Bussard collectors visible from the front a la the Roddenberry design rules? Maybe lower them some so they have forward line of sight under the primary hull like the Galaxy class? I think the design is on the right track for the most part though and I look forward to seeing more.
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Same here, I like the original nacelles more too but I would like to see a slightly greater influence by the Sovereign nacelles.

I like the original fan tail slope more too, where it has a much more angled set of shuttle bay doors. I was also surprised to see that the secondary hull isn't flared outward, as with the Galaxy Class, since the ship has such significant resemblance to it.

I noticed that the nacelles aren't lined up the same way they are on the side view as they are on the front view. On the side view you actually have them higher. Placing them properly in comparison to the side view will let a little intake be seen over the saucer. You don't have to follow the rules perfectly because quite a few canon ships don't follow them perfectly. I'm pretty sure Voyager almost completely hides its nacelles behind the saucer during flight, and the Defiant's nacelles can't see each other, across the hull, at all. The Sovereign hides quite a bit of nacelle behind its saucer too.
    Aethernaut wrote: »
    I like the overall shape but I really don't like those scaled up Sovereign looking nacelles. They look out of place. I like the look of the original nacelles you were going with. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have the Bussard collectors visible from the front a la the Roddenberry design rules? Maybe lower them some so they have forward line of sight under the primary hull like the Galaxy class? I think the design is on the right track for the most part though and I look forward to seeing more.
    Thanks for your comments. I prefer the original nacelle to my scaled Nova version. The original however, is not my design. I have permission to use it, but again not my design, so I want to eliminate it. I have a thing about using other peopleA’s work when I can do it myself. At first I was not sure about changing the nacelle but the more I think about it the more I realize that itA’s probably the best direction.

Same here, I like the original nacelles more too but I would like to see a slightly greater influence by the Sovereign nacelles.

I like the original fan tail slope more too, where it has a much more angled set of shuttle bay doors. I was also surprised to see that the secondary hull isn't flared outward, as with the Galaxy Class, since the ship has such significant resemblance to it.

IA’ll work on the aft flight-deck doors. I agree the original there is far superior. I tried to use the elliptical A“eyeA” shaped hull and I could never get it to look right. I think it has to do with the widest part being about 2/3 up the hull rather roughly center. It was not until I tried a rounder shape did it come together.

The original design was really a kit-bash from Galaxy, Excelsior, and Delta Flyer classes. In this updated design I wanted to break free from that and get more original. Especially since I have superior drawing programs and far greater experience and confidence in the way ships should be designed. I was actually thinking it was starting to take on a more Ambassador look to it now, especially with the angled profile that the bow now presents.
    I noticed that the nacelles aren't lined up the same way they are on the side view as they are on the front view. On the side view you actually have them higher. Placing them properly in comparison to the side view will let a little intake be seen over the saucer. You don't have to follow the rules perfectly because quite a few canon ships don't follow them perfectly. I'm pretty sure Voyager almost completely hides its nacelles behind the saucer during flight, and the Defiant's nacelles can't see each other, across the hull, at all. The Sovereign hides quite a bit of nacelle behind its saucer too.

I rechecked the pylons, and you are right. They were off slightly vertically and horizontally. I corrected the problem as well as pylon thickness. I also pulled them wider giving the pylons less angle. When I originally set the angles I did so with out the saucer, and it looked really bad being spread out so far. There should be bussard exposure, however I donA’t want much because I like how the forward profile looks as is.
    another update. Spent hours working on detail, but I think the results speak for themselves. I added some curve to the secondary hull impulse housing (the box at the back of the neck), used the suggested course of action for the aft flight-deck doors, changed the forward egress to the flight-deck, and shuffled the lateral sensor arrays, air lock, and RCS thruster pack. I think the rest is obviouse. Enjoy.
    updateE-1.jpg
    it looks darn good to me...
    I think I am done with the elevation view of the battle section
    updateE.jpg
    sweet! very nice..
    I think this compleats the forward view until the saucer is designed. I want to design the saucer dorsally first before doing forward and elevation views, but the shape is really eluding me. I want to make it round but that's the wrong shape for a post-dominian war ship. I was thinking of rotating a glaxy saucer so that the port side faced forward. Thus a rounder saucer but still in line with the design era. Also a development patch. not 100% on it. Might go back to the old one. I have included both designs the old one was created in paint and photoshop so the image is really crappy, but to the right is the vector version I'm working on.
    I especially like the hull color.
    I especially like the hull color.

I guess I should thank REL777 for letting me borrow a picture of his enterprise so I can eyedropper it. Created a set of 8 colors from it Base light, Base, Base dark. Med light, Med, Med Dark, and Dark light, Dark.
    I like the colors alot.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wonderful...
    I love it...
  • nhallnhall171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice design as yet, but the new nacelles remind me more of the I.S.S. Ares and her dark sisters recently popping up around here. Nice work, nonetheless. I'm assuming she's a thru-deck carrier, then? Like a Starfleet Galactica with integrated flightpod?

Wonderful work, mate. Nice :thumb:

Cheers,
    Nick
    nhall wrote: »
    Nice design as yet, but the new nacelles remind me more of the I.S.S. Ares and her dark sisters recently popping up around here. Nice work, nonetheless.

Grrr... That was coincidental and they were supposed to be completely original. I'll have to consider a new design. When I was designing them I was looking at the Nova-Class nacelles there were on it and the Sovy Nacelles from my AMT model, with the NX class in mind since it really belongs in the 24th century anyway.
    nhall wrote: »
    I'm assuming she's a thru-deck carrier, then? Like a Starfleet Galactica with integrated flightpod?

Wonderful work, mate. Nice :thumb:

Cheers,
    Nick

Yeah, she's a thru-deck carrier. Not sure what an integrated flightpod is though. Thanks for your comments
  • AescapuliusAescapulius331 Posts: 0Member
    Flightpods are the launch platforms for large vessels and receiving platforms for Viper craft, which are well armoured, and extend outwards when needed to prevent enemy ships decompressing that entire area with a well placed missile.

Vipers are launched along the bow structure, and it still baffles me how they launch from an area almost a kilometre from the flightpods... But it looks awesome so I'm not complaining.

Correct me if I'm wrong! It's freaking 12:24 AM, I'm exhausted, and I've been watching Babylon five in the last three days, I may be wrong...!
    Flightpods are the launch platforms for large vessels and receiving platforms for Viper craft, which are well armoured, and extend outwards when needed to prevent enemy ships decompressing that entire area with a well placed missile.

Vipers are launched along the bow structure, and it still baffles me how they launch from an area almost a kilometre from the flightpods... But it looks awesome so I'm not complaining.

Correct me if I'm wrong! It's freaking 12:24 AM, I'm exhausted, and I've been watching Babylon five in the last three days, I may be wrong...!

No there's nothing like that on the Erebus. Launch and reciving is coordinated though the A-Conn (Auxillary Craft Control) on the main bridge. The A-Con officer coordinates with the helm to allow launch and reciving of fighters away from the enemy when a "hole" in the shields are created. Transport inhibitors in errected to prevent beam-ins and the exposed areas are reinforced with more ablative armor to protect the hull just in case the enemy get's a lucky shot off.
  • AethernautAethernaut0 Posts: 0Member
    Dig the new nacelles. Lookin' good!
    Aethernaut wrote: »
    Dig the new nacelles. Lookin' good!

Thanks. So thats one vote for and one vote again. So unless I get any more complaints I'll keep them

OK now for a challange, because I'm stuck. I can't seem to get the bloody connecting neck to look right. I could use some suggetions as this is really stopping the process. :mad:
    Not bad... :D I hope it cool if I give a little advise on it. I would bring up the line around the ship a few points..and bring down the line inside..like the shuttlebay..etc but its nice..had the Enterprise-E feel..
    No there's nothing like that on the Erebus. Launch and reciving is coordinated though the A-Conn (Auxillary Craft Control) on the main bridge. The A-Con officer coordinates with the helm to allow launch and reciving of fighters away from the enemy when a "hole" in the shields are created. Transport inhibitors in errected to prevent beam-ins and the exposed areas are reinforced with more ablative armor to protect the hull just in case the enemy get's a lucky shot off.
    That's not necessary, the small vessels only need to match their shield frequencies to that of the carrying ship's shields, then the smaller vessels will be able to pass through the larger ship's shields, the same way torpedoes are probably able to get through the firing ship's shields. You only need a shield hole if you're transporting something or have something unshielded that needs to get through. Transporter inhibitors are a good idea though, make them like modern emergency lights and tie them into main power, with individual backup batteries for when power is knocked out.