Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSTIII Merchantman

vfxartvfxart400 PNWPosts: 59Member
edited December 2022 in Work in Progress #1
Job hunt continues, pushing ships around and looking for portfolio pieces out of 'em.
Just started the block-in, a few hours in the AM into her, so a lot will move around before locking in the parts. Will likely model the kit pieces I have so far this week; looks to be about 16 kits as donor that I've IDed to this point... yikes.

At some point will likely do the 'bastard children' as well. A shame what happened to her over the years.

Not a lot of great ref on some angles (as usual with a few of the incidental but of course cooler ships, heh). Most of what is out there in blueprint as well as mesh and collector models is wrong, to be polite, and some just... no one bothers to know what they're looking at, blindly copying other crappy work. Un-effing-believable. ;-) If I knew who the current owner was I'd be reaching out, you bet.

One of my favorites of all of the Trek ships. As with the Surak, will be building a replica model of this as resources allow. But I need to find FT work first, sigh etc.

Hope everyone's doing great!

brdzjrhr6xmn.jpg

Post edited by vfxart on
StarCruiserRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperator
Tagged:

• TallguyTallguy272 Posts: 442Member
    If you can make it match what's in the scant reference you have and then for the rest of it go nuts then you're golden! If someone can prove you wrong then they have to provide more reference than what you have. =)
    vfxart
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • vfxartvfxart400 PNWPosts: 59Member
    Tallguy wrote: »
    If you can make it match what's in the scant reference you have and then for the rest of it go nuts then you're golden! If someone can prove you wrong then they have to provide more reference than what you have. =)

^^^
    Oooooooo now that's what I call thinking. ;-)
  • Admiral156Admiral15638 Posts: 15Member
    Forgive me if you have these already, but they go back to 1986, hope they help: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/merchantman-federation-class-j.php
  • vfxartvfxart400 PNWPosts: 59Member
    I do have that set yeah, thank you. They aren't accurate.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1802482 Posts: 10,252Member
    Nice start. Good luck with the job hunt and the build. This was always such a cool model and one of the most widely used and modified. It's no surprise that there aren't a lot of references and that the blueprints are inaccurate. I find that's the case with a lot of the models with scant references.