Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Albacore, A ship based on the Ambassador Class

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I really like what you did with the impulse engines.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    The ship looks just awesome
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    edited June 2023 #94
    Absolutely shameless theft of my old shuttle craft and shuttlebay components =) :
    tR62mS6.jpg

Edit - one extra image that better shows the alterations underway to the saucer superstructure:
    PnKaWOn.jpg
    Post edited by SCE2Aux on
    evil_genius_180Mustang13Camaro68rojrenashleytingerStarCruiserwibbletrekkiLizzy777caveat_imperatorseanrand 2 others.
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    Absolutely love those impulse engines! The rear shuttlebay doors are great too.
    I like how nothing on this ship reads as "delicate". I do love the organic lines of many star trek ships (i.e. Galaxy class). But all the details on this really make it feel like its assembled to get a job done, not just be looked at.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    Thanks, I'm glad you're liking the way the ship is progressing. The ship is definitely not delicate, which I really like about the Ambassador type. And it's why, if you strip away all the additional detailing, the basic shapes mostly still follow the TNG filming model. IMHO, they really did a great job when they built that model, especially since they had limited time and budget on it.
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    A great blend of Star Trek starship design with almost hard scifi aesthetics. Love it.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Excellent! Fantastic and I wish I had your talent!
    Excellent! Fantastic and I wish I had your talent!

I still remember that cool UESPA ship you posted on my old Reliant thread - you've got talent, and plenty of it.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Bristling with power.
    Those missile tubes on her spine?

Maybe USS Kelvin type pop-up turrets on the saucer to keep the level of detail up.

• Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    The detailing on this just keeps getting better and better.
    publiusrseanr
    edited June 2023 #102
    Some new bits. particularly around the bridge:
    B29AnjR.jpg
    Tz3GC9g.jpg
    StarCruiserPreViztrekkiashleytingerrojrenevil_genius_180wibbleMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777caveat_imperatorand 2 others.
    Nice
    I think I've settled upon the right name for this ship - USS Albacore, named after this US Navy submarine:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Albacore_(AGSS-569)

It was a tech development sub, which matches the purpose of my ship, and is also a name that begins with 'A' which I wanted because it's similar to Ambassador.
    evil_genius_180wibbleStarCruiser
    Made some decent progress on the upper surface of the saucer today:
    IOq7fko.jpg
    rojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserMcCashleytingerwibblepubliusrPreVizLizzy777caveat_imperator
    I say you did! Looks great!!
    Some more model work for today;
    CEgOGFb.jpg
    QSY0Q5e.jpg
    NMEycgU.jpg
    rojrenStarCruiserwibbleevil_genius_180StarshipraztovpubliusrtrekkiPreVizashleytingerand 4 others.
    I really love the amount of detail you're putting into this, yet the saucer still says "Ambassador class" to me. :+1:
    publiusr
    SOLID
    Yes, that's it, Ambassador Class.
    Very nice!
    I really love the amount of detail you're putting into this, yet the saucer still says "Ambassador class" to me. :+1:

Yeah, I think the ship was starting to get away from its origins just a little bit too much, so maintaining the light/dark quadrant pattern of the original ship was probably the right decision.
    publiusr wrote: »
    Bristling with power.
    Those missile tubes on her spine?

Sorry, I think I missed this question earlier. My idea for that whole area is a sort of 'T-0 Umbilical Bay' where dry dock connections can transfer supplies, fuel, coolant, and an 'on-shore' power supply etc. The location, however, and the fact that it's a double row of protective covers, gave the impression of missile hatches. I've since added smaller additional umbilical connectors based on those I've seen on the Space Shuttle, in order to try and avoid the impression of missiles. But tbh, it still looks like a boomer submarine anyway.
    Starshippubliusr
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    She's really coming together nicely.
    Excellent! I'm already excited about your next project.
    edited June 2023 #114
    I made some panel layout changes to the saucer, and I reckon upper surfaces are more or less complete now.
    ECCt4xU.jpg
    x6VuJDP.jpg

I had initially expected to stick very closely to the diagrams I drew at the start of this project, but there are some things that just didn't translate well into 3d. I found it interesting in retrospect what's been kept and what's changed. The proportions are still the way I initially intended though. The lesson here is that I probably need to get into developing concept art skills in order to better plan things.
    fWQm2H4.jpg

Last thing to do is the underside of the saucer. I've made a start on the ring cutout here, and tidied up the saucer separation seams.
    6MVBmex.jpg
    wibbleashleytingerMadKoiFishrojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68trekkicaveat_imperatorand 4 others.
    edited July 2023 #115
    I love that saucer.

It reminds me a bit of this concept here--with a great torpedo deck
    https://www.facebook.com/startrekfancomic/photos/a.639008166280004.1073741833.428477803999709/657301607783993/?type=3&theater
    Post edited by publiusr on
    Pretty much finished with the Albacore modelling. I'm going to park this project for a bit - got to carve out some time to learn Substance Designer, which I hope I can utilise during the texturing of this model.

lZGspMV.jpg
    YolMD2M.jpg
    tuXiYK0.jpg
    KWsHDJB.jpg
    EnFctMW.jpg
    jIAboye.jpg
    AXJITSI.jpg
    trekkiPreVizwibbleevil_genius_180rojrenraztovStarshipashleytingerStarCruiserMadKoiFishand 7 others.
    Very nice, now I guess we have to wait. 😀
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    That is incredible! So detailed you don't kneed textures WOW
    You did a fantastic job on the modeling on this ship.
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Gorgeous
    Othos please?