Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars Gladiator Star Destroyer environment/animation

13»

• publiusrpubliusr399 Posts: 1,552Member
    Love that Skipray. We’re I a bounty hunter—-it would be my choice for a ride. I remember the Flurry carrier.
    xiaorobearscifieric
  • wibblewibble569 GermanyPosts: 313Member
    edited November 7 #63
    Just to make that clear, I like both colour schemes a lot. Probably just liked the second a bit more because it is the ROTJ version. But I understand why you want to make it more obvious that it is a variation of the known design. And to have a variety of versions is always a good idea.
    If those two screencaps you posted are the scenes you want to recreate I'm looking forward to your version of C3-PO.
    Post edited by wibble on
    xiaorobearscifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1802221 Posts: 10,101Member
    xiaorobear wrote: »
    My worry with that 2nd one, the RotJ colorscheme, is that someone might see it, see that the proportions/details of my model don't match the RotJ model, and think that I just didn't do a very good/accurate job.

Heh, most people would probably be like "Ooh, an A-Wing!" or "Hey, it's that ship that crashed into Vader's ship and caused it to crash into the Death Star." ;)

Definitely get what you're saying, though. Some people do like that ultra accuracy to a certain version. Me, I just love great work and that's what this is. The cool thing about procedurally generated grime is that it's simple to alter procedurals to do different versions with minimal effort. :)
    wibblescifiericxiaorobear
  • xiaorobearxiaorobear475 Posts: 146Member
    Thanks for the comments, all, all true things. :D And publiusr, they brought back that ship design for the Rebels show, so it's canon again!

Don't think I had any time for new modeling work this week, but I did put together a promo render of the A-wing model to post to artstation. Nothing else new for now. I really want to go back and finish my stormtrooper model soon.

yxyhi8r35zpt.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleashleytingermylexLizzy777srspicer
  • wibblewibble569 GermanyPosts: 313Member
    Whoa, how awesome! It doesn't always need to be new models if you put the models you already have to good use.
    xiaorobear
    I really like your effects for the laser blasts and engines.
    edited November 15 #68
    I really like your effects for the laser blasts and engines.

Thanks! The engines are 100% in Blender, the laser is augmented with some photoshop. For the engines, this is a method I started doing for a StarCraft animation, I don't know if it's very Star Warsy, but I'll do some variant that looks right. Maybe make a tutorial once I have more confidence/control over getting specific looks.

The main ingredient is a sphere scaled to be long and narrow with a wave and/or displace modifier to get a spiky animatable look, then a principled volume shader with an animated high contrast noise in the blackbody intensity (or emission strength if you want to use emission instead of blackbody). Then you can dial in the curves or brightness to get the right amount of solid-ness. Here is a long html5 video of messing around with the settings to demonstrate. And then for this image I also keyframed the sphere to be moving on the frames on either side so it would get motion blurred. Oh and I also have a smaller copy scaled down in the center with a higher blackbody temperature to get a brighter core.

The lasers are long pointy geo with an emission shader using fresnel to make the edges have a different color than the core. I also have a point light in the middle of the laser to cast more glow on the ships.

egSi02L.png

Then I have a glare node in the compositor to add more glow, so my render straight out of Blender looked like this. I kind of like the pointier lasers with the glow not being totally even around to the ends like they would be if I just added a feather around a 2D shape.

p3cgoyllipon.png

Then to add a little more drama to the red laser shot I took a screenshot of a spark stock footage clip I have and photoshopped it in there.

kppd0eg889j2.png

And a couple other bits of post for the final- mainly a camera raw filter, a bit of noise and a little lens distortion/chromatic aberration:

k9xywxnrtti7.png

Post edited by xiaorobear on
    wibbleashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiser
    Updates: I made a Mouse Droid!

2rfcbrc32d01.png

b32ax2sy1711.png

And inched slightly closer to finishing the Z-95. Hoping to use the same smart material settings from the A-wing and hopefully not have it take too long to texture, but unlike all my other ships here I made it asymmetrical, so that might have shot me in the foot. Should be worth it though.

t0may7crzk9n.png
    ahppcb4c3xrx.png
    ccdrfdv31ohu.png
    wibbleevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruiserpubliusr
    Ah, the mouse droid. Nice. Little things like that make me happy. :D
    xiaorobear
    More very WIP stuff:

bsz8e77e28ab.png
    mc1b02qx9sgq.png

yafxqy1at5pd.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777wibbleStarCruiserpubliusr
    edited December 4 #72
    Another low poly droid for something a bit relaxing, the ASP-7 multipurpose loader droid. This guy debuted in the ANH special edition and the Shadows of the Empire tabletop RPG, but it looked pretty rough. The 2001 RTS game "Galactic Battlegrounds" had a refined version as the Empire's worker unit, so mine is mostly based on that, and I'll have some carrying some crates in the background or something.

btfjtxznt1dq.png
    9u0dex828h1c.png

I also gave it a small walk cycle:
    https://gfycat.com/poshclassichen
    Post edited by xiaorobear on
    wibbleStarCruiserpubliusrevil_genius_180
  • publiusrpubliusr399 Posts: 1,552Member
    I could see that droids head looping through its chest for a comedy scene.
    Looks great. I remember these guys, they were on Tattooine. Your version definitely looks better, but you're also not on mid 1990s tech. ;) I especially like the face, it adds a bit of character.
    publiusr wrote: »
    I could see that droids head looping through its chest for a comedy scene.

Thanks, now I can't unsee this. :lol: