Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDavid's Stargate 3D Stuff

David_cgcDavid_cgc178 Posts: 8Member
Hi everybody, I'm David. You might know me from various other forums and websites, I've been around the scene on and off for a while. I may be a little set in my ways, but I've decided that, like they say, the best time to start posting on SFM is yesterday, the next best time is today, so, let's get this show on the road.

There was a flurry of interest in Stargate SG-1 last summer during lockdown on another board I visit, and my first big 3D project as a young modeler was the stargate, which I redid a couple years later. I'd been thinking about making a third version pretty much since I finished the second version, and kept my eye out as reference material continued to appear, especially production diagrams put up for auction after the shows ended, and the goldmine of high-res photos from the Enfants de Mac Gyver fan group building a full-scale replica stargate based on original parts. While I was doing research and noticing a lot more subtleties and differences that I'd missed before, I decided on a plan of attack; I'd initially build with an eye towards making the movie and SG-1 versions, since they're mostly identical. The Atlantis version actually has a number of major differences, so I'd start that one after completing the movie/SG-1 gate, pulling out whatever parts and segments I could reuse.

I've just finished modeling and texturing the movie version of the stargate. As part of the project, I did something I don't think anyone else had ever attempted, and recreated the alternate set of symbols seen on the stargate on Abydos in the movie, before the series retconned that each stargate had only one unique symbol representing itself, and the 38 address symbols are standardized. Here are some orthos of the movie version of the model.

7eaf3lp0hscl.jpg

avwza67joo0r.jpg

There are many more images, as well as a link to a lighting test turntable animation (I don't see an option to embed video here?) on my website.

I've started working on the inner ring for the SG-1 version of the model (in addition to being extruded instead of engraved, every symbol was redrawn for the series, so they're all a different size or a different shape than the ones I made for the movie version). I'm also planning to create a number of different inner rings to represent different stargates, each with its own point-of-origin symbol. Aside from the handful of canon origin symbols from the show (Earth, Abydos, Earth's second stargate, and the virtual reality planet), most of the ones seen just reused an address symbol. For those, I'm planning to use the corresponding symbol from the Abydos movie stargate. I'm also on the hunt for any other origin symbols, from games, comic books, novels, I'll even take other fan-art. So far, the only one I know of is that the upcoming Stargate tabletop RPG designed a symbol for the "Phoenix Site" off-world base's stargate, but if anyone else knows of any, I'd love a heads-up.
Lizzy777RJB

• Rusty0918Rusty0918244 Posts: 430Member
    I'd like to see you try to do one like this: https://www.deviantart.com/commietechie/art/Stargate-Helmrakai-Dialing-In-283126530 - basically it's a Milky Way gate with red chevrons done int he same fashion as the Pegasus Galaxy Stargates. My main idea for this one is that it was created by SGC in Atlantis using a Molecular Construction Chamber (Atlantis I think should have the ability to "manufacture" Stargates, IMHO).
  • David_cgcDavid_cgc178 Posts: 8Member
    I wasn't going to change the color, but I was definitely planning to do an alternate Milky Way glyph set for the Pegasus 'gate. Another idea I had that I'm less likely to act on was actually the opposite, making a Milky Way gate with blue chevrons and a physical inner ring with Pegasus glyphs, inspired by the early promotional art for Atlantis that used the SG-1 'gate recolored in Photoshop.
    Well I have no problem with you doig an alternate milkyway glyph set for the Pegasus gate with the color.
  • RJBRJB200 Posts: 182Member
    Nice to see another artist doing Stargate related designs.

Amazing work you have done.
    edited March 1 #6
    I know I had a fanfic series that I never really developed that would feature the folks using a molecular construction chamber in Atlantis to fabricate a Stargate that would be of Pegasus Style but have Milky Way glyphs on it. The bulk of Stargate Command operations would be moved off-world, mostly for the sake of planetary security, which is something that I think the IOA would really want to do given how many things that SG teams exposed their planet to! The Stargate would be part of the new SGC facility, and would have a dialing console (hooked up to computers) like the Atlantis dialing console (but with the 39 Milky Way glyphs). While I know the Marvel Universe has gone some into Norse mythology (and of course "Frozen" and such), I wanted to do my own take on it - the big bads would be based off of Norse Mythology. There would be a new SG-1 team, featuring among other people Rya'c (Teal'c's son), Jennifer Hailey (who is probably the team commander now - she was in "Prodigy" and "Proving Ground"), a female Tok'ra who became a host as a teenager (she's a bit older now), and a female Navy SEAL who is Native American and has an O'Neill vibe to her.
    Post edited by Rusty0918 on
    7pw7o8esq26q.jpg

I've drawn and extruded the SG-1 version of the inner ring glyphs. There are a couple other variations visible, as well. Some (but not all) of the patterns on the outer rim are rotated 180 degrees from their orientation on the movie version. I also noticed I misaligned the row of large blocks above the glyph track. That's been corrected on the movie version, as well, but I'm not going back and re-rendering all those images again.

18p42qv87c4p.jpg
    4oqnfe1jp6vy.jpg

I decided to keep the chevrons and wings in the arrangement they had on the movie version, rather than moving the chevrons higher and the wings closer together (and drooping), as they were when on the SG-1 setpiece. I'll make that change on the Atlantis version, though, since for that one, the slots the chevrons were mounted in were smaller, and other aspects of the setpiece were realigned to fit with the higher chevrons.

And now we come to the whole reason I keep making stargate models, the point of origin symbols. This image has the official origin symbols used on the show and licensed tie-ins.

jajgds4ilkwh.jpg

There are two versions of the Abydos symbol because we only saw it on the actual stargate once, on a laptop screen in the original cut of the pilot, where it was tiny, off-center, upside-down, and squished horizontally (even I have my limits). I think this looks silly, but it wasn't hard to do with what I already had, so I threw it in. The "behind the scenes" version is based on how the symbol appears in a glyph panel supposedly from the production of the show. While I don't think it was ever used on-screen, in size and orientation, it's a lot more like how you'd expect the glyph to look, so I consider that the "default" Abydos ring, and the other version an alternative for canon hardliners.

The "Phoenix Site" and it's associated origin symbol are from the upcoming Stargate SG-1 tabletop RPG from Wyvern Gaming.

Next up, more origin symbols, based on the movie versions of the glyphs I've already made. There are about 15 other planets that have had visible origin symbols on the show, but they were all one of the normal "address" glyphs, so I figure having new glyphs (or repurposed movie glyphs) that are based on the ones used by the show is a fair compromise, plus that leaves another 24 that can be used for any other arbitrary planets. Or people could just do the sensible thing and rotate the ring so the origin symbol is below the ramp and can't be seen. Anyway, once that's done, I'm going to start doing lighting and surfacing tests for the chevrons, see what techniques look best and render fastest. Then comes texturing, rig up some setup and demo scenes, then the Atlantis 'gate so I don't have time to forget how I did everything, then, either effects or environments.
    wolfmanLizzy777Freak
    I made two extra Point of Origins BTW, if you'd like to have them.

The first is for the Epsilon Site (one of the SGC's off-world bases) - It's a bit like a cursive letter. See here: https://sta.sh/02ebfq0bv7th

The other is for a planet I dub P3B-139 - it's sort of like the Abydos POO upside down: https://sta.sh/02e3l3pv7aq3
    Thanks for the origin symbols, I threw them in with the others I made.

I'm about finished with the SG-1 gate, though I'm still running the lighting-test animation for that version, so I'm holding off on putting together all the images to post before it's done. I've also got some housekeeping I want to finish up, rigging the model for animation and packaging it for download, but hopefully I'll be able to get all that done over the next week.

I did do a little quicky side project the other evening, the SGC logo plaque from the briefing room. Joseph Mallozzi, who was a writer and producer on the TV shows, has been posting high-res behind-the-scenes photos, concept art, and documents since the shows were still on the air, and recently posted a construction diagram of the plaque, which made it pretty easy to model in only an hour or two, most of which was spent squinting at the measurements and comparing with some photos of the finished plaque to see how things changed between the drawing and the actual piece.

There was also a 3D rendered version used on the show as a screensaver and decorative element on computer displays which was colored differently, so I made both versions. I didn't sweat getting the textures exactly right (and there were some shape differences with the digital version I didn't bother changing), just going for the spirt instead of a perfect duplicate. The gaudy '90s texturing is pretty rough, and now we've entered a glorious era where flat colored in CGI actually look okay.

4z8of0ew6lvc.jpg

8idhj5mqdd9z.jpg

js6vocjab2mm.jpg

giphy.gif
    Lizzy777
    I was wondering when you'd respond. BTW, the Epsilon Site POO actually should be called the Langford Base POO, from P3O-809. In that "Second Stage" stuff, it's Brigadier Generals Cameron Mitchell's command, SGC's most important off-world base and is often an intermediate stepping stone for SG teams should they come into contact with unknown tech or organisms (or whatever) before returning to Earth.
    If you've got a link for your fanfic, I can put it in the Read Me for the description of those two symbols, otherwise I'll just note that they're your design.

I've finished one of those pieces of housekeeping and put up the movie version of the 'gate for download. The main Lightwave archive includes a template and example scene for animating your own dialing sequence, and there are also FBX and OBJ versions up for download for people who can't open Lightwave files who want to attempt to convert it to their preferred programs.
    I banked everything up, and now I have way, way too much to cram into one forum post. The SG-1 'gate is now finished, and all the details are up on my website. And I mean everything, we've got the model download, we've got orthos, we've got detail and lighting showcase renders in 5k, we've got turnaround videos, we've got dialing animations, we've got an entire separate blog post on how dialing works. It's nuts!

But, you're busy people, so here are some highlights so you don't have to click through.

qh6im7fm2njd.jpg

xapocrrf2fez.jpg

he0lcuia7cww.jpg

I was not kidding about how strongly I feel about origin symbols.
    Lizzy777