Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Connie

lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
edited February 1 in Work in Progress #1
7bfcw9wpegvc.png

Thought I might as well make a thread for this, even though every man and his wife has done a connie, here's mine anyway. I'm not going for a 100% perfect reproduction of the filming miniature so I'm allowing a little freedom and flexibility in details just to get what I think looks good.

a59dwv6ixsld.png

edttmrd9635o.png

onsxija8cbaa.png

Plus a variant with glowing inner nacelles just for fun...

2l2uei6t2syv.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
1701dproject.blogspot.com
Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCscifiericChiefBrexashleytingerLizzy777Zhor2395wolfman
Tagged:
«1

Posts

  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    From one exciting ship to another, and I'm living for it. :D
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory664 BrooklynPosts: 230Member
    Great work! I never get tired of looking at the Grand Old Lady.
    lewisnivenscifieric
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ


    Formerly furswift
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    It's a pleasure to build as well, much easier to make progress compared to the galaxy.

    I cooked up some basic interiors that I will render out as 2d textures to use on rooms behind the windows. Same technique as I did previously.

    8yvsc7bvlaqi.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCscifiericChiefBrexLizzy777
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • scifiericscifieric859 Posts: 1,261Member
    Wow! Very nice!
    lewisniven
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex250 North CarolinaPosts: 109Member
    Looking good!
    lewisniven
  • halhal190 Posts: 155Member
    Looing great so far. I have to say, the lighting on the interior is on point!
    lewisnivenWarp Propulsion Laboratory
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    ki3egz3jlsmq.png
    Lizzy777raztovWarp Propulsion LaboratorymdtaRekkertMcCashleytingerLeoBerlinFreakwolfmanand 2 others.
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    You know, incidentally, I actually love the TOS Enterprise when there's no weathering and stuff, like your model currently is... it looks so clean. lol
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    You know, incidentally, I actually love the TOS Enterprise when there's no weathering and stuff, like your model currently is... it looks so clean. lol

    I was just saying exactly that in the discord. I'm tempted not to weather it tbh, probably just a very subtle dirt on the roughness map to give some variation but that's it.
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    lbebqf5p3u5m.png
    eagledocf15Lizzy777ashleytingerMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLeoBerlinZhor2395FreakwolfmanChiefBrexand 1 other.
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15179 Posts: 31Member
    This is just excellent! Well done!
  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    You know, incidentally, I actually love the TOS Enterprise when there's no weathering and stuff, like your model currently is... it looks so clean. lol

    I was just saying exactly that in the discord. I'm tempted not to weather it tbh, probably just a very subtle dirt on the roughness map to give some variation but that's it.

    Ha! :P Yea, and those bussards are my biggest hurdle, I can never get them looking right. I'm hoping Daniel Broadway finishes his TOS Enterprise, I plan on redoing the Enterprise finale, but I can't seem to come across a very screen accurate TOS Enterprise.
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    l8skaiocljay.png

    Testing gridline depth yesterday. I've rebuilt the saucer since this so will re-cut them all.

    tw32y2xwjlxq.png
    Lizzy777wolfmanMadKoiFishMcCChiefBrexscifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • trekkitrekki456 Posts: 1,004Member
    Nice work
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    dd5omqzt129j.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777mdtaMcCwolfmanWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakChiefBrexscifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    Interiors to go in next for lit windows.

    7flmi1ql3g8j.png
    ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCFreakChiefBrexLizzy777scifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    Absolutely amazing... shoot, minus the windows, that's wallpaper quality for me. :P
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • ashleytingerashleytinger750 Central OhioPosts: 720Member
    She looks outstanding. Love your light set-up
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing... shoot, minus the windows, that's wallpaper quality for me. :P

    0uaov4mmg1oa.png

    Lit windows for you :)
    She looks outstanding. Love your light set-up

    Thanks!
    RekkertMcCMadKoiFishFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryrojrenChiefBrexLizzy777P5ych0p4thscifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing... shoot, minus the windows, that's wallpaper quality for me. :P

    0uaov4mmg1oa.png

    Lit windows for you :)
    She looks outstanding. Love your light set-up

    Thanks!

    hehe :P Nice! :D
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory664 BrooklynPosts: 230Member
    So cool. Really ties it all together.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ


    Formerly furswift
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    edited February 10 #23
    rqkpi7asl6gu.png

    Tried something different to the usual space shot too;

    6lf9jxdimksu.png

    The model is 99% complete I just need to re-do the grid lines as some are sat on geometry at the moment and it's causing shading issues.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    ChiefBrexashleytingerLizzy777FreakMcCraztovpubliusrZhor2395scifiericWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex250 North CarolinaPosts: 109Member
    Looks absolutely amazing. Top quality. Could be used in a 4k remaster of Star Trek.
    lewisnivenscifieric
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    Thanks for all the kind words. :)

    Re-built the saucer at a higher subd level to combat shading issues, cut grid lines;

    d9l0ey5cxuql.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777Zhor2395McCFreakscifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • Chris2005Chris2005467 Posts: 3,040Member
    Although, the grid lines weren't physically there until that one dreadful "refurb" of the original model, they were essentially penciled on. :)
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    EVGA RTX 2060 KO 6GB
    240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 4TB external HDD
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
  • publiusrpubliusr275 Posts: 1,345Member
    So very clean...wonderful
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Although, the grid lines weren't physically there until that one dreadful "refurb" of the original model, they were essentially penciled on. :)

    They were pencilled in to the filming model during production in an attempt to further accentuate scale, but unfortunately never resolved on screen. The '91 refurb just exaggerated them, on the underside anyway. Once we get to the refit model made with a much higher budget we have actual scored lines so I've if the opinion they were always 'meant' to be there.

    I know people have passionate views on the grid lines though so I'm doing 2 versions of the saucer; one with cut lines and one with 'pencilled' lines.
    scifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • mdtamdta206 Posts: 76Member
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Although, the grid lines weren't physically there until that one dreadful "refurb" of the original model, they were essentially penciled on. :)

    They were pencilled in to the filming model during production in an attempt to further accentuate scale, but unfortunately never resolved on screen. The '91 refurb just exaggerated them, on the underside anyway. Once we get to the refit model made with a much higher budget we have actual scored lines so I've if the opinion they were always 'meant' to be there.

    I know people have passionate views on the grid lines though so I'm doing 2 versions of the saucer; one with cut lines and one with 'pencilled' lines.

    Working to scale, pencilled on grid lines, would be an extrude up, instead of an indentation in. so you could have subtle rounded panel lines on the surface, and have them be like a centimetre up from the surface.
    scifieric
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    I did think about that but I came to the conclusion that panels lines sitting proud would be so weird compared to what we're used to that its looks weird. Plus we've seen it nowhere else in trek. The fact that they were pencilled on the model is for time purposes, I'm taking it that the intention would be that they were scribed.
    mdtascifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
  • lewisnivenlewisniven1725 UKPosts: 361Member
    edited February 18 #31
    Download available in the 'Releases' section.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    Lizzy777MadKoiFishscifieric
    1701dproject.blogspot.com
Sign In or Register to comment.