Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DLewis' Connie

lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
edited February 12 in Work in Progress #1
xibl7vsy0cki.png

Thought I might as well make a thread for this, even though every man and his wife has done a connie, here's mine anyway. I'm not going for a 100% perfect reproduction of the filming miniature so I'm allowing a little freedom and flexibility in details just to get what I think looks good.

a59dwv6ixsld.png

edttmrd9635o.png

onsxija8cbaa.png

Plus a variant with glowing inner nacelles just for fun...

2l2uei6t2syv.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCscifiericChiefBrexashleytingerLizzy777Zhor2395wolfmanBridgerand 3 others.
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    From one exciting ship to another, and I'm living for it. :D
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Great work! I never get tired of looking at the Grand Old Lady.
    lewisnivenscifieric
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    It's a pleasure to build as well, much easier to make progress compared to the galaxy.

I cooked up some basic interiors that I will render out as 2d textures to use on rooms behind the windows. Same technique as I did previously.

8yvsc7bvlaqi.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCscifiericChiefBrexLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperator
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Wow! Very nice!
    lewisniven
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Looking good!
    lewisniven
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Looing great so far. I have to say, the lighting on the interior is on point!
    lewisnivenWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    ki3egz3jlsmq.png
    Lizzy777raztovWarp Propulsion LaboratorymdtaRekkertMcCashleytingerLeoBerlinFreakwolfmanand 5 others.
    You know, incidentally, I actually love the TOS Enterprise when there's no weathering and stuff, like your model currently is... it looks so clean. lol
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    You know, incidentally, I actually love the TOS Enterprise when there's no weathering and stuff, like your model currently is... it looks so clean. lol

I was just saying exactly that in the discord. I'm tempted not to weather it tbh, probably just a very subtle dirt on the roughness map to give some variation but that's it.
    lbebqf5p3u5m.png
    eagledocf15Lizzy777ashleytingerMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLeoBerlinZhor2395FreakwolfmanChiefBrexand 4 others.
  • eagledocf15eagledocf15357 Houston Texas Posts: 46Member
    This is just excellent! Well done!
    lewisniven wrote: »

I was just saying exactly that in the discord. I'm tempted not to weather it tbh, probably just a very subtle dirt on the roughness map to give some variation but that's it.

Ha! :P Yea, and those bussards are my biggest hurdle, I can never get them looking right. I'm hoping Daniel Broadway finishes his TOS Enterprise, I plan on redoing the Enterprise finale, but I can't seem to come across a very screen accurate TOS Enterprise.
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    l8skaiocljay.png

Testing gridline depth yesterday. I've rebuilt the saucer since this so will re-cut them all.

tw32y2xwjlxq.png
    Lizzy777wolfmanMadKoiFishMcCChiefBrexscifiericwibbleBolianAdmiralcaveat_imperator
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Nice work
    lewisniven
    dd5omqzt129j.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777mdtaMcCwolfmanWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakChiefBrexscifiericwibbleand 2 others.
    Interiors to go in next for lit windows.

7flmi1ql3g8j.png
    ashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertMcCFreakChiefBrexLizzy777scifiericwibblecaveat_imperator
    Absolutely amazing... shoot, minus the windows, that's wallpaper quality for me. :P
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    She looks outstanding. Love your light set-up
    lewisnivenscifieric
    Absolutely amazing... shoot, minus the windows, that's wallpaper quality for me. :P

0uaov4mmg1oa.png

Lit windows for you :)

Thanks!
    RekkertMcCMadKoiFishFreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryrojrenChiefBrexLizzy777P5ych0p4thscifiericand 2 others.

0uaov4mmg1oa.png

Lit windows for you :)

Thanks!

hehe :P Nice! :D
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    So cool. Really ties it all together.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    edited February 2021 #23
    rqkpi7asl6gu.png

Tried something different to the usual space shot too;

6lf9jxdimksu.png

The model is 99% complete I just need to re-do the grid lines as some are sat on geometry at the moment and it's causing shading issues.
    ChiefBrexashleytingerLizzy777FreakMcCraztovpubliusrZhor2395scifiericWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 4 others.
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member
    Looks absolutely amazing. Top quality. Could be used in a 4k remaster of Star Trek.
    lewisnivenscifieric
    Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Re-built the saucer at a higher subd level to combat shading issues, cut grid lines;

d9l0ey5cxuql.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777Zhor2395McCFreakscifiericeagledocf15wibblecaveat_imperator
    Although, the grid lines weren't physically there until that one dreadful "refurb" of the original model, they were essentially penciled on. :)
    lewisnivenscifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    So very clean...wonderful
    lewisniven
    Although, the grid lines weren't physically there until that one dreadful "refurb" of the original model, they were essentially penciled on. :)

They were pencilled in to the filming model during production in an attempt to further accentuate scale, but unfortunately never resolved on screen. The '91 refurb just exaggerated them, on the underside anyway. Once we get to the refit model made with a much higher budget we have actual scored lines so I've if the opinion they were always 'meant' to be there.

I know people have passionate views on the grid lines though so I'm doing 2 versions of the saucer; one with cut lines and one with 'pencilled' lines.
    scifieric
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member

They were pencilled in to the filming model during production in an attempt to further accentuate scale, but unfortunately never resolved on screen. The '91 refurb just exaggerated them, on the underside anyway. Once we get to the refit model made with a much higher budget we have actual scored lines so I've if the opinion they were always 'meant' to be there.

I know people have passionate views on the grid lines though so I'm doing 2 versions of the saucer; one with cut lines and one with 'pencilled' lines.

Working to scale, pencilled on grid lines, would be an extrude up, instead of an indentation in. so you could have subtle rounded panel lines on the surface, and have them be like a centimetre up from the surface.
    scifieric
    I did think about that but I came to the conclusion that panels lines sitting proud would be so weird compared to what we're used to that its looks weird. Plus we've seen it nowhere else in trek. The fact that they were pencilled on the model is for time purposes, I'm taking it that the intention would be that they were scribed.
    mdtascifieric
    edited February 2021 #31
    Download available in the 'Releases' section.
    Lizzy777MadKoiFishscifieric