Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Prometheus

nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
I have choosen my next project: the Prometheus class.
The educated Trekkie knows this ship from Voyager's 4th season episode "Ship In A Bottle".
It will not be a 100% accurate recreation or the original model seen in the episode, because I think it has some really ugly bulges, mostly on the upper saucer. I will mostly go with the drawings of Rick Sternbach with all their details and make the lines and curves more even. I will also make it separable and rig the upper saucers mini nacelles.
I collected some screencaps from Trekcore, blueprints and drawings from Cygnus-X1. Everyone is welcome to send me more reference stuff.
qrv8xum1wodg.jpg
RekkertlewisnivenBolianAdmiralJayrusrspicerJES
Tagged:

• lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Never been a fan of the design but excited to see you take on it for sure!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Sweet! It's gonna be great to see someone do this with today's technology and without the schedule constraints of a TV production.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Hay hang on a minute... i was expecting some awesome wireframe render.... hahaha

Cant wait to see how you push the design... i have to agree its an ok concept... but one ugly looking ship, when you compare how nice they made the sets for the episode..
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Started building a helper cage of splines
    rmwkre67m9t1.jpg
    JayruJES
    Niice... haha more exciting than it should be :) but I love seeing how other modelers.. well model.. cant wait to see more..
    markmassey wrote: »
    Cant wait to see how you push the design... i have to agree its an ok concept... but one ugly looking ship, when you compare how nice they made the sets for the episode..

I will try to make it a tad closer to the Sovereign design.
    Any plans to make the color scheme of the ship something between Intrepid and Sovereign, rather than the plain thing they had time for on the show?
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Look forward to seeing how this one goes, always loved the Prometheus design (well, mostly, I thought the multi vector thing, and especially the mini popup nacelles, were rather silly)
    Look forward to seeing how this one goes, always loved the Prometheus design (well, mostly, I thought the multi vector thing, and especially the mini popup nacelles, were rather silly)
    Yes, they should've stopped at two, like regular separation, but with a set of nacelles for each half.

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Oh definitely looking forward to seeing what you do with this. Always liked the overall design, despite its issues.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    edited October 2020 #12
    I always liked the idea of a "production" version of the ship with only the upper pair of nacelles and no multi vector capability.

3gir39o83ehs.jpg

Post edited by Wishbone_Ash on
    RekkertJayrupubliusr
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Any plans to make the color scheme of the ship something between Intrepid and Sovereign, rather than the plain thing they had time for on the show?

Let's see what works. but different from the original for sure.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Ohh, very exited by this! The Prometheus (just like the Nova) was a very cool design squandered by deadlines and early CG limitations. An "idealized" version should be great!
    lennier1JayruBolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited October 2020 #15
    Top main mesh ironed out:
    34ru8b9rk5ud.jpg
    Post edited by nightfever on
    Jayrulennier1srspicerBolianAdmiralLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRekkertJES
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Pretty. And smooth.
    edited November 2020 #17
    It took me several approaches but I finally got the seperation line and plate.
    dx0la8pdc0m8.jpg
    9sfthkpr40ud.jpg

Post edited by nightfever on
    lennier1JayruWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777JES
    *droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*
    Oh yes love seeing some wire frames.... niice
    Lower main hull blocked out. Copy-pasted the top one, deleted everthing except the base plate and pylons, so, only had to do the under belly.
    5885ekylcuhz.jpg
    3oiln6l7dumz.jpg

McCJayruLizzy777RekkertJES
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    Looks nice all matched up.

Not going for the Sternbach underside with the flatter saucer parts?
    tht1e5f52yig.png
    I planned it that way, but wanted to try our the original curve first.
    lennier1
  • JayruJayru1037 UKPosts: 653Member
    She's looking good, and I think the original curve looks better
    lennier1
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    Original vs. Sternbach/Sovereign style
    m4vdabsiexoe.jpg
    Lizzy777JES
    I certainly prefer the version with some meat, instead of only a flat delta.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    edited November 2020 #26
    I actually prefer the flatter version, much more in line with the Sovereign, looks less like cheap CG. :p

Also, it's a huge departure from the version we ended up with on screen, but going with Sternbach's designs, the bottom section's saucer should actually be inside the primary hull when docked, instead of sitting bellow it:
    20.jpg
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    JayruJESBolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    I like the flat version a lot better than the Tv version. It looks like it could be a real physical model.

Make both? =)
  • darkthunderdarkthunder408 SwedenPosts: 102Member
    Looking at the Sternbach pic, I kinda prefer the Flat version as well.
  • JESJES390 Posts: 194Member
    I've seen your work many times, but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to actually comment on one of them.

I've always thought that the reason for curve of the arrowhead ventral was trying to reflect the curve of the Beta section's arrowhead dorsal.

There is no doubt that flattening the ventral surface of the arrowhead looks cleaner, but curving out that area makes it look more organic, exotic, and even dangerous, like a flared out cobra hood, or that snake-like thing from Prometheus.
    The nacelles are coming:
    lqx7lyllehxm.jpg
    k4gekwl777q3.jpg
    RekkertkadendarkthunderomnipotentWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777JESBolianAdmiralJayruFreakand 1 other.
    This is looking incredible, inspiring and depressing all rolled into one... great job :)