Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBack with something new after 15 years: TMP corridor set

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking fantastic.

For faster renders, you may want to look at GPU compute by enabling a CUDA device in the preferences. If you can do it will depend on your exact GPU and drivers.
  • seanrseanr1113 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 599Member
    I just have the built-in Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. No idea how usable that is...
  • ericoerico340 Posts: 6Member
    Great to see you at it again, seanr!
    seanr wrote: »
    I just have the built-in Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. No idea how usable that is...

Yeah, I don't know how usable Intel graphics are for the GPU rendering. I figured that was what you had with a Mac. The only way to find out is to check it out. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and you're still using the CPU. ;)
    Yeah, I don't know how usable Intel graphics are for the GPU rendering. I figured that was what you had with a Mac. The only way to find out is to check it out. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and you're still using the CPU. ;)
    Blender actually won't even let you pick it (no supported GPU found, or somesuch).
    Full render of Officers' deck:
    e72r0rp5yoi2.png

Preview of concentric corridor:
    4t768zsg20hx.png
    Much work yet to be done on that one - radial bulkheads, door alcoves, etc.

BTW, I had an idea for doing a Star Trek V variation of this when I'm done. I can't recall ever actually seeing them in that movie, unless my memory is just gone... :D
    FreakBolianAdmiralevil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFish
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,566Member
    Very nice!
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Nice looking corridors. This design has always been a hard one to beat.

They just used TNG corridors for ST:V. I think it was only a couple of shots.
    Thanks. Another render:
    970fkcnnu7w5.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishRekkertFreak
    Those are all looking great. I've always liked the color of the officers' deck, and it looks like you nailed it.
    Blender actually won't even let you pick it (no supported GPU found, or somesuch).

Yeah, I've had that before, even with supported cards, in Linux.
    Test render with characters thanks to @trekki (models from Raul Mamoru's travel pod mesh):
    8as4zx37s6bo.png
    Rekkertevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Guess Christmas came early. Man, it's amazing to see you back!
    Welcome back and I hope you'll still enjoy the craft as much as you did back in the days of us old farts.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Nice looking corridors. This design has always been a hard one to beat.

They just used TNG corridors for ST:V. I think it was only a couple of shots.

Well - the TMP corridors were re-dressed for TNG. The concentric corridors in "Star Trek V" had coverings over the black part of them, but they still had the TNG signage which I didn't like very much. To be fair, most of the TMP sets were re-purposed for TNG.

They did a better job with TUC with the corridors, giving them signage that was more appropriate to the era to better distinguish them.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Oh, so that's what those are. Looks amazing so far. Are you planning on doing any rooms?

I never did get the hang of using blender on a mac. Glad you don't be seem to having any issues.
    edited July 2020 #46
    Oh, so that's what those are. Looks amazing so far. Are you planning on doing any rooms?

I never did get the hang of using blender on a mac. Glad you don't be seem to having any issues.
    That's what what are? As for Blender, I'm using a fork of it called Bforartists that's a bit improved beyond pure blender 2.8.x (anything prior to 2.8 was unusable from a UX standpoint). I think I mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating that I also had to manually compile the B4A build since their Mac maintainer departed some time ago. That was relatively easy as those things go but would probably be a show-stopper for many people. I do have to say I am beyond impressed with the quality of Blender's material system and the Cycles renderer.

There's a lot of work to do on the concentric corridor part, though, and I also plan to match the segments to the actual stage set from the movies. Right now, the radial corridor is arranged staggered for testing purposes, so it doesn't match the actual set and the concentric corridor is only arranged enough to get the lighting to more or less work. I'll be able to actually incorporate other sets into this in the future, like the transporter room, quarters, etc. Each would be in it's own collection in the Blender scene outline so I can turn them on and off as needed.
    Post edited by seanr on
    This angle is very close to complete, minus a darker footpath layer on the decking and a caveat mentioned above:
    d55hiv83v0rj.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    Out of curiosity, how tall did you make Kirk and Scotty?

This is stellar work.
    Looking great, as your work tends to do. I definitely like that you added the characters that trekki converted for you, it helps make the corridor seem alive.
    Ah, sorry. I didn't know what you had been working on previously, so I had no idea what I was seeing in the first image you showed. Still looks good. :)
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This does look very impressive.
    Out of curiosity, how tall did you make Kirk and Scotty?
    I grouped the two characters into one object, then google William Shatner's height. Google came back with 5' 10", so I made the group that tall assuming Scotty's relative height was close enough for government work. ;)

Thanks, everyone. :)
    Rekkertevil_genius_180
    edited July 2020 #53
    Really just tweaking materials here, but there's a nice surprise if you can spot it (there's a piece that's much more accurate to the set thanks to some high-res screen grabs). ;)
    o6tqxhhf8j8u.png
    The brushed metal material turns out to be really hard to get exactly right. Tweaking it is a slow process given the performance of the render engine it requires (Cycles) on a 2015 MacBook Pro and the material itself (which is quite complex). Even rendering just a small region can take a while. The full render above took about four and a half hours.
    Post edited by seanr on
    evil_genius_180Rekkert
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    The floor grating around the lights?
    Yup. If you look at the one closest to the turbolift, you can see why the screengrabs are so damned confusing - until now, I had never been able to find any high-res enough to show anything but three bars. Thank God for HD TVs (and the market they created for better quality video). :D
    Looking great. Also, if you've never watched the movies in HD, they're definitely worth a look. TNG too, that looks stunning in HD.
    Are they streamable? Don't have a DVD player.
    DVD wouldn't do it. The really high quality caps are from the Blu-Rays. I'm not sure who has the movies available to watch included with a subscription. Netflix might, I'm not a subscriber there. Amazon Prime doesn't have them included with Prime anymore, Hulu doesn't have them at all. You can certainly buy the HD prints for streaming, (on various services with that option) but I don't know if that's something you do. For TNG, CBS AllAccess might have the HD prints, but most of the other streaming services just have the older SD version.
    Amazing how details like that get lost with older films. Nice work on the grates.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Sean?!?! The legend of bridge sets and ship interiors?
    Welcome back old bean! And you came back in great style. :) Good work all around!

Hey, you need to update the Midway class sometime in the future. B)
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Are they streamable? Don't have a DVD player.

They are streamable from some sites, TMP is only standard edition though, the director's cut was SD only (Not that it really affects set work much).

having said that, all the screenshots are on Trekcore too for the HD versions, they're listed as "screencaps (blu-ray)" under each movie page.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class