Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother TOS Constitution and Shuttle

CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
edited December 2022 in Work in Progress #1
Long time lurker, possibly first time posting. Was inspired to do scifieric's blender tutorial on modelling the USS enterprise after seeing it mentioned in MikeFinleyMusic's thread.

I finished most of the modeling of the saucer and engineering sections and am currently working on the warp engines. While I am following scifieric's tutorial I have been using different modeling techniques for some of the sections and am planning to add some extra details, like window boxes and a hangar bay.

Edit: added a more current picture for the thumbnail.
figqvlyfyw4n.png

domnbduk9ok8.png

jrmde2plgxnc.png

u6o22lde5a1f.png
Post edited by Coward on
FreakLizzy777P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180scifiericBrandenbergBolianAdmiralpubliusrJasonAdankWarp Propulsion Laboratoryand 4 others.
Tagged:

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice. Eric Tut has to be the best out there on building this thing.
    Looks of info on the actual filming models and he holds your hand each step of the way on the build.
    Also think by follow Eric Tut it made me a better modeller.

I look forward to seeing your finished model.
    scifiericBolianAdmiral
  • MikeFinleyMusicMikeFinleyMusic172 Posts: 60Member
    Love it!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Coward wrote: »
    Long time lurker, possibly first time posting. Was inspired to do scifieric's blender tutorial on modelling the USS enterprise after seeing it mentioned in MikeFinleyMusic's thread.

I finished most of the modeling of the saucer and engineering sections and am currently working on the warp engines. While I am following scifieric's tutorial I have been using different modeling techniques for some of the sections and am planning to add some extra details, like window boxes and a hangar bay.
    Wow! Thank you for the mention! You have a very nice model here. Well done and I can't wait to see you finish!
    Freak wrote: »
    Looks of info on the actual filming models and he holds your hand each step of the way on the build.

Holy cow! Thank you, Dean! You're very kind!
    BolianAdmiral
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    Thanks Eric. I've always liked seeing your various recreation of TOS scenes over the years, and I'm definitely enjoying going through your tutorial.

I agree, all the info he supplies in the tut keeps it interesting and really helps when modelling some of the parts that have changed over the years; like the deflector dish, or the grills on the warp engines.

So last night I finished modeling the trough details along with some other things on the warp engine. Spent to long on the grills, ended up redoing them 4 or 5 times. But in the end I really like how it all turned out!

6e6v6e8uh079.png

fw64qyiauutb.png
    evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777ashleytingerBolianAdmiralAel'sscifiericRory1707Brandenberg
    Those grills can be a pain, but your has turned out really nice.
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, that's some really nice work.
    CowardscifiericBrandenberg
    Current progress. Got the front of the warp engines lighted and modeled, and added the missing details on the front engineering hall.
    q3ia6gzh8tqc.png

ib99xulynbtr.png
    Those grills can be a pain, but your has turned out really nice.
    The grills on my model are actually pretty simple to make, they're just a simple mesh with an array modifier which has a startcap and endcap added. The startcap and endcap are separate meshes that use an array to get the desired length and a SimpleDeform modifier controls the angle of the bend. Here's an image showing the three objects that creates the grill.
    lh2dfcqa36xs.png
    Most of the problems I had making the grill was getting the SimpleDeform modifier working, and I also had initially modeled the wrong pattern for the holes in the grill.

FreakLizzy777BolianAdmiralscifiericAel'sRory1707Brandenberg
    Nice. I assume that's a difference in 2.8 than my 2.79 version. Well done!
    Thanks! It's definitely possible to do it in 2.79, both modifiers are basically the same and the only major difference I could see is the SimpleDeform modifier has an extra option in 2.8 to control which axis it will bend on.

I've finished all the modeling for now. Added some basic interior, added the rear light strips, and ended up redoing all the windows after realising they were all too short.

ibe9paag4ku4.png

wjb0fppccxwm.png

I'm hoping to get onto texturing next, but I've currently got distracted and have been blocking out the hangar's interior.

5f4np6aatk6s.png
    FreakLizzy777BolianAdmiralcaveat_imperatorAel'sscifiericRory1707Paul MoechnerBrandenberg
    Nice Start on the hanger.
    Cowardscifieric
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    It takes either a brave or crazy person to try and model the shuttle interior for the TOS ship and marry it up with the exterior. It looks great though!
    CowardscifiericPaul MoechnerBrandenberg
    It does look great. Really, as long as you don't try to line up the exterior windows, you'll be mostly OK. ;)
    CowardscifiericBrandenberg
    Oh man, that's pretty!
    BolianAdmiralCowardRory1707Brandenberg
    Thanks!
    I think I'm done with initial blocked out. I may do a bit more work on it, but I want to get onto texturing the exterior. Also at some point I need to resize everything, as currently the exterior is around 88m long.
    To help with scale I've added a human sized rectangle and a basic model of a shuttlecraft I had made for another project as a size reference.

oaek5l1x48ai.png

It takes either a brave or crazy person to try and model the shuttle interior for the TOS ship and marry it up with the exterior. It looks great though!
    I'm leaning towards only slightly crazy =) . It actually ended up easier than I thought it would, probably helps that I'm only trying to make it look right and not trying to make it a accurate replica, because that way leads to madness.
    It does look great. Really, as long as you don't try to line up the exterior windows, you'll be mostly OK. ;)
    I'm trying to avoid doing that, but I already have one window box intruding into the front alcoves. The only good thing is there are only a couple of windows I'd have to move to make it work.
    FreakashleytingerLizzy777evil_genius_180gmd3dcaveat_imperatorAel'sRory1707Brandenberg
    I've finally started texturing and have mostly finished the top saucer. Need to decide if I'm going to add any dirt, kinda like the clean look.

es0ybqi38l5s.png

I've also done a tiny bit more work on the shuttlebay. I've added some initial materials, modeled the lift/turntable, and added simple rooms to the balconies.

5e54xc7cwry8.png
    evil_genius_180publiusrLizzy777Freakcaveat_imperatorscifiericAel'sBolianAdmiralRory1707Brandenberg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Fresh outta spacedock
    scifieric
    Nice, I like the clean look with the Textures to. but it up to you what your want to do.

That Shuttlebay is just getting better and better with each update.
    scifieric
    Thanks, I'm quite pleased with the shuttlebay, especially since it's hard to find good references on it.

I'm definitely sticking with the clean look, any dirt I have added is very subtle and barely visible.

Current progress; textured the engineering hull and saucer bottom, modeled some stuff for the shuttlebay door mechanism, and did a tiny bit of work on the shuttlebay pods interior. Finally integrated the forward arm thingy into the engineering hull, and moved the windows near the shuttlebay to be inline with the upper shuttlebay rooms.

xyfatwijys1a.png

8b613mrr8ckv.png
    FreakashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180eagledocf15caveat_imperatorscifiericAel'sBolianAdmiraland 3 others.
    Nice and that shuttlebay does look really sweet inside the old girl.
    scifieric
    Oh man. That's all very beautiful work! Excellent job!
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    edited July 2020 #22
    Loving the progress so far!
    Coward wrote: »
    Current progress. Got the front of the warp engines lighted and modeled, and added the missing details on the front engineering hall.
    ib99xulynbtr.png
    That cutout part is one of the hardest parts on the secondary hull. Kudos for getting it to look so good!
    Post edited by Hunter G on
    eagledocf15Ael'sRory1707Brandenberg
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Looking good. Doing a lot better than I would.
    @Freak Thanks!
    @scifieric Thanks! I wouldn't have got this far without your wonderful tutorial.
    Hunter G wrote: »
    Loving the progress so far!
    That cutout part is one of the hardest parts on the secondary hull. Kudos for getting it to look so good!
    Thanks. Surprisingly It ended up easier than I thought it would be. The hardest part was getting the flat area where it blends into the hull at the right spot, but I solved that by sloping the whole area slightly towards the front.
    Looking good. Doing a lot better than I would.
    @Adam Warnock Thanks. I had a look at your thread and I think you could do as good a job as me!

I've basically finished texturing the exterior. I haven't put any textures on the neck, but it looks fine with only materials. Only thing really left to do is the shuttlebay, but I'm currently thinking of taking a break on this and returning to another project that I had put on hold to do this.
    6p9xruscjzxp.png

scifiericevil_genius_180publiusrLizzy777ashleytingerZhor2395FreakP5ych0p4thAel'sBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
    Very, very nice!
    That looks outstanding. I agree, the neck is fine as it is.
    publiusrscifiericRory1707
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Looks really good.

As for my ability to do this, there's a reason I'm doing my own stuff instead of someone else's. I really don't want to do the research and tryign to get it model accurate. I'd probably wind up making it my own anyway.
    That understandable. I've put some models on indefinite hold because I couldn't get them to look close enough to the reference images.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    I'd say, add some post work on this and it'll look damn near exactly like the original. :open_mouth:
    scifieric
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    @Chris2005 you got me curious what it would look like, so here's my quick attempt at replicating that classic look.
    fnaiq78ou38z.png

And the render before post work.
    2nvmisbcc0br.png
    Freakevil_genius_180Lizzy777Hunter GJasonAdankBolianAdmiraleagledocf15xiaorobearscifiericcaveat_imperatorand 1 other.
    Nice, looks like you got it close.
    If you want to get it accurate to the look, speak to Eric. He is a master at it.
    scifiericCoward