Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Connie

This is my 3rd go at building the Enterprise in Blender. I made a very low-poly one previously, but I've just upgraded my computer so I can afford to get the level of detail and accuracy I've always hoped for. (The only thing letting me down is my modelling skills)
I'm already basically done with most of the saucer geometry but I'll keep this thread updated as I do more. Really happy for any criticism as I'm still very much a learner and I'd love to be able to improve.pmed0aayz47n.png
xf11oe7cik0y.png0qm3l0c4o8oo.png

evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralBrandenberg[Irishman]
Tagged:

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    You seem to be doing a FINE job! Well done.
    BolianAdmiral
  • MikeFinleyMusicMikeFinleyMusic172 Posts: 60Member
    Thank you Eric! But to be honest, the credit is literally all yours. I'm doing it by following your tutorials
    scifieric
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Looks great so far ... so ... no criticism here ... sorry :-P
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking really good so far.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    I like that the bridge turboshaft is offset to match the set. :+1:
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Blimey, thank you everyone! I'm working on the engineering hull at the moment - the little "arms" are an absolute pain the bum to get right. I'll post updates later.
    furswift wrote: »
    I like that the bridge turboshaft is offset to match the set. :+1:

Ha, yes, that's the only creative liberty I'm taking - I don't like the idea of the angled bridge, even though it wouldn't make any difference at all to anything.
    Update. Still a very long way to go.

pqkmpdpu5czv.png
    scifiericLizzy777BolianAdmiralBrandenberg
    Yeah, but it's looking great so far. That secondary hull is a lot of fun to do. I used to hate it, but now I find it quite enjoyable.
    scifieric
    Thank you Eric! But to be honest, the credit is literally all yours. I'm doing it by following your tutorials
    That's funny! I was going to plug my tutorial and point out that if you ran into any trouble, you could look for help there. But, no need!
    Update. Still a very long way to go.
    Looks GREAT! And although I'm flattered by what you said earlier, you're the one doing all the work. Keep going!
    BolianAdmiral
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,558Member
    Very nice work so far!
    @scifieric ... any chance you‘ll be doing some other tutorials anytime in the future? ... while most people learn Blender by making the donut, I also got my start with your enterprise tutorial ... it was a lot of fun and really informative.
    scifieric
    edited May 2020 #13
    Very small update - finished the modelling of the cowling and the dish. Seen a few things I need to sort out with the arms though, grr.

57t67v89tef7.png

And one with more interesting lighting.

9uhp630xw3b7.png

Thanks for your kind words, everyone! I'm having great fun doing this.

P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    @scifieric ... any chance you‘ll be doing some other tutorials anytime in the future? ... while most people learn Blender by making the donut, I also got my start with your enterprise tutorial ... it was a lot of fun and really informative.

Completely agreed. I've learned more from Eric's tutorial than any other Blender tutorial. Please do more!
    Post edited by MikeFinleyMusic on
    P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180scifiericBrandenbergLizzy777
    Wow! That's very kind of you!

I'm in Healthcare IT, so with this COVID-19 business, I've been busier than ever. When things level off a bit, and when I can teach myself the new Blender, then yeah. My first model up will be a Klingon D7, I think. I may actually record that while I'm teaching myself the new Blender since I lost the start on a Klingon D7 with my hard drive crash.
    Very small update - finished the modelling of the cowling and the dish. Seen a few things I need to sort out with the arms though, grr.

And one with more interesting lighting.

Thanks for your kind words, everyone! I'm having great fun doing this.

Completely agreed. I've learned more from Eric's tutorial than any other Blender tutorial. Please do more!
    Wow, both of you are VERY kind! I really appreciate that.

Yep, When I learn this new version of Blender, I'll make more tutorials.

Oh, and the different lighting shot? Superb!
    P5ych0p4th
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Great job. :)
    scifieric wrote: »
    Yep, When I learn this new version of Blender, I'll make more tutorials.

Oh, and the different lighting shot? Superb!

Hooray!! And thanks. Small update at the moment, working on the bum of the ship. Cut the lights into the engineering hull, currently working on the shuttlebay. Ignore the flat as hell lighting, just trying to see all the details. nlkg0numkn2c.png
    dbebbvwmxlmt.png

evil_genius_180FreakwolfmanLizzy777
    Just wanted to do a quick render using Eevee as well, and it renders in about 2 seconds, which is spectacular considering how many Polys this thing is already. Obviously it loses a lot of the realism but for animations this is brilliant. 7lcco8ni9bze.png
    evil_genius_180wolfmanLizzy777
    I was trying to get her to work in Eevee but never got to something I liked. Especially the Windows and Bussard Collectors are dificult to do in Eevee ... it’s not really built for translucency.
    Yeah, true. I've made the windows and running lights differently to Eric so that's not a huge problem but there isn't really a workaround for the Bussards. I might have to make 2 different versions - a "good" one and an "eevee" one. Not sure yet.
    The shuttlebay area is looking great.

I know Eevee renders super quick, but Cycles is no slouch either. I don't know what kind of graphics card you have, but I rendered an image of my Connie using my GTX 1660 Super and it rendered in a fraction of the time it does using my Ryzen 5. That's a good option for animation, and you still get the benefits of Cycles.
    Yeah, true. I've made the windows and running lights differently to Eric so that's not a huge problem but there isn't really a workaround for the Bussards. I might have to make 2 different versions - a "good" one and an "eevee" one. Not sure yet.

Finished most of the modelling on the Shuttlebay and the Pylons. Still loads to do but it actually looks like the Enterprise now!

2picz6ayeic6.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakLizzy777
    Looking great. :)
    Bit more done. Most of the main structure is in place. Very happy with this so far. (Sorry for the fireflies, sample rate too low)e6xgvebphcq3.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    She coming along nicely.
    you got to love @scifieric tutorial, very helpful and very informative on the original models.
    P5ych0p4thscifieric
    Thanks! Yup, his tutorial series is an absolute lifesaver. Although I'm ashamed to admit I'm doing some things slightly different (sorry Eric, please don't hate me)
    scifieric
  • StarkillerStarkiller203 Posts: 80Member
    Hmmm. I'm trying to learn Blender myself. I should give his tutorial a try. :)
    REALLY nice job on her BTW. :)
    P5ych0p4thscifieric
    @Starkiller ... you should! 😉 ... you need to be careful though, since it’s for Blender 2.79 and Blender 2.8x is a little different. But that’s nothing, that can’t be done with a little googeling.
    scifieric
    Starkiller wrote: »

Thanks. And yes! The whole playlist is here - Eric is such a good teacher.
    P5ych0p4thscifiericWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777
    Thanks! Yup, his tutorial series is an absolute lifesaver. Although I'm ashamed to admit I'm doing some things slightly different (sorry Eric, please don't hate me)
    LOL! Oh man. I'm just thrilled anyone finds my tutorial series useful! Thank you!
    Starkiller wrote: »
    I hope you find it helpful.
    @Starkiller ... you should! 😉 ... you need to be careful though, since it’s for Blender 2.79 and Blender 2.8x is a little different. But that’s nothing, that can’t be done with a little googeling.
    Cool. Good to know. I need to learn 2.8x. Ugh.
    Thanks. And yes! The whole playlist is here -
    Eric is such a good teacher.
    Oh wow! Thank you! That's VERY kind of you!
    P5ych0p4th
    Looking great. :)
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    Bit more done. Most of the main structure is in place. Very happy with this so far. (Sorry for the fireflies, sample rate too low)[/img]

It looks great! (What fireflies?) In my opinion I like a little grain, so cycles is perfect for that ;)