Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Patton

• shaved_apeshaved_ape433 USAPosts: 158Member
    An alternate Captain's chair, probably more appropriate for the Patton.

0rprz6195i2m.png
    evil_genius_180lewisnivenRekkertLizzy777FreakpubliusrRory1707
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it. It looks like a blend of different chairs.
    shaved_ape
    I like it. It looks like a blend of different chairs.

Thanks, I'm still refining it and honestly, I'm still not happy with the mix of metals used. Brushed Aluminum doesn't render well in this lighting, so I may make all the metal surfaces dark and leave it like that. Looking at reference photos of the Excelsior chair, the back is lower, which I never understood why it was that way, so I raised mine up a bit more for support to the head and neck a bit better. There is a slight flair of the arm supports, but it can't be seen in this shot so I might a couple more angled shots of it to point out more of the designer features as well.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Loving that 'pool' table, especially the K-frames underneath. VERY NICE touch.
    Trekspaces...

Thought that would make for a neat subtitle for a hopefully successful series of renders I will be posting for the Patton. Since the engine room became a bit of a wash (though I have some ideas to revive it), I went back to a pet project of mine in designing some proper quarters for our happy little crew, paying more attention to the integrated bunks.

To start things off, here are a couple of WIP renders for the NCO quarters. A bit smallish but meets the needs. I have a plan for either a communal bath, or attach a minimal one for each compartment, haven't decided yet.

I'm taking things slow, and I don't have as much free time as I used to, since working from home seems to take up more of my time now rather than when I was in my work office. :/

Enjoy.

u1zgoa5v1v2t.png
    slcsj7wa4tj1.png
    BolianAdmiralWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777MadKoiFishFreakRory1707
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I love those NCO bunks!
    shaved_ape
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Those are great... and I love the carpet texture as well! It would be cool if they had shutters or curtains so they could get some privacy. They actually look pretty roomy too, which is nice.
    shaved_ape
    Those are great... and I love the carpet texture as well! It would be cool if they had shutters or curtains so they could get some privacy. They actually look pretty roomy too, which is nice.

Coincidentally, I've been watching DS9 now, and while watching a recent episode, I noticed those curtains on the bunks of the Defiant. I thought about adding them, but then again, it's a private room with only two people. The bunk sizes were measured out to accommodate a single person comfortably, since I did some research on bunks aboard US Naval Ships, which as a matter of fact, this bunk design is loosely based off of a prototype design proposed to the US Navy. Their design was to accommodate three people though and as I gave that some thought, it might have been too much, not to mention the head height would have been much less, like sleeping in a coffin.
    Revised renders showing a design change to the lighting, added some graphics to the panels and of course, my fire extinguisher...you know, for safety. B)

7iv57dk4pl9q.png

ys1farrlb05t.png
    RekkertashleytingerLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryRory1707
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very very nice, love it!
    shaved_ape
    Found another use for the logo. Dinner will be ready soon. ;)

nlrj1d7lxcog.png
    FreakLizzy777RekkertRory1707
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very nice Crew Quarters.
    Loving the plate.
    shaved_ape
    Freak wrote: »
    Very nice Crew Quarters.
    Loving the plate.

Thanks! The plate placement was more of a quick test to see how well the textures would show under the lighting scheme. The Patton "print" on the plate is modelled, rather than a texture, since I wanted the gold to show up as gold with reflectivity. I plan on using the plate for a dining set, for the larger quarters, which is up next.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    edited October 2020 #165
    @ shaved_ape

Very nice work! Glad to see another SU user take full advantage of what SU can actually do.

If you weren't already aware there are some work-a-rounds for SU that will enable you to create vastly more complex models without being slowed down by the file size. It's important that every SU user understands why this happens. SU renders your model in real-time. This is very different then how other modeling programs work. That is the root cause of why it gets bogged down with complex scenes.

I've got a current project running that's in excess of 5 million polys after export to Thea Studio and the SU file size is a whopping 423 mb.

Here's the trick:

First, make sure you are halving your symmetrical objects. Every chair, for example and every object that is symmetrical work in halves. Cut the model in half and make the working half a component. Duplicate it, flip the axis and stick it on the working half then make both halves a group. Once that's done create a new layer for that object and assign it to the new layer. "Chairs" for example. Then when you aren't working on the chairs in your scene you can turn them off. You can take that farther by assigning each half to their own layer, i.e. "right side". Thus you can turn off the half you aren't working in. When you use this technique SU doesn't calculate the "hidden" layer content data in the same way as when its visible. Thus you can get a substantial increase in app performance.

Another issue is textures. Complex textures probably slow down SU more than anything else. There's a couple of things you can do but the kicker is if you are using textures with patterns that need to be mapped such as the fabric on your chairs you may have to leave them be unless you are UV unwrapping your objects and mapping textures in something like Substance Painter, etc.. However there are two things you can do here:

Work in "Monochrome". When you are modeling there's simply no need display textures.

Also, turn off "Use Maximum Texture Size" and "Anti-Aliased Textures". Those two will substantially slow down the workspace.

Lastly, even after all those are applied SU will eventually bog down with a super detailed model. However, the good news is you can still model and work quickly. Here's what you do:

Let's say, in the case of your project here you want to do some detail work on your warp core. Assuming you've made it a component, simply select it, copy it, then open a 2nd SU window, in the new window, paste in place then work on your warp core there. I have a co-file named ("Model Title" Workspace) with every project. In the workspace is where I do my detail work. once I've detailed and UV mapped an object I send it back to the main file. Because in the workspace window there's nothing else but that individual component SU will run like you've just started off.

Hope that helps. If you already knew all of that then apologies. That being said Fusion 360 looks like a good alternative and seems like it's not a hugely different platform to learn. I've got it on my system as well and have the intention to learn it.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    shaved_ape
    @ shaved_ape

Very nice work! Glad to see another SU user take full advantage of what SU can actually do.

If you weren't already aware there are some work-a-rounds for SU that will enable you to create vastly more complex models without being slowed down by the file size. It's important that every SU user understands why this happens. SU renders your model in real-time. This is very different then how other modeling programs work. That is the root cause of why it gets bogged down with complex scenes.

I've got a current project running that's in excess of 5 million polys after export to Thea Studio and the SU file size is a whopping 423 mb.

Here's the trick:

First, make sure you are halving your symmetrical objects. Every chair, for example and every object that is symmetrical work in halves. Cut the model in half and make the working half a component. Duplicate it, flip the axis and stick it on the working half then make both halves a group. Once that's done create a new layer for that object and assign it to the new layer. "Chairs" for example. Then when you aren't working on the chairs in your scene you can turn them off. You can take that farther by assigning each half to their own layer, i.e. "right side". Thus you can turn off the half you aren't working in. When you use this technique SU doesn't calculate the "hidden" layer content data in the same way as when its visible. Thus you can get a substantial increase in app performance.

Another issue is textures. Complex textures probably slow down SU more than anything else. There's a couple of things you can do but the kicker is if you are using textures with patterns that need to be mapped such as the fabric on your chairs you may have to leave them be unless you are UV unwrapping your objects and mapping textures in something like Substance Painter, etc.. However there are two things you can do here:

Work in "Monochrome". When you are modeling there's simply no need display textures.

Also, turn off "Use Maximum Texture Size" and "Anti-Aliased Textures". Those two will substantially slow down the workspace.

Lastly, even after all those are applied SU will eventually bog down with a super detailed model. However, the good news is you can still model and work quickly. Here's what you do:

Let's say, in the case of your project here you want to do some detail work on your warp core. Assuming you've made it a component, simply select it, copy it, then open a 2nd SU window, in the new window, paste in place then work on your warp core there. I have a co-file named ("Model Title" Workspace) with every project. In the workspace is where I do my detail work. once I've detailed and UV mapped an object I send it back to the main file. Because in the workspace window there's nothing else but that individual component SU will run like you've just started off.

Hope that helps. If you already knew all of that then apologies. That being said Fusion 360 looks like a good alternative and seems like it's not a hugely different platform to learn. I've got it on my system as well and have the intention to learn it.

Thanks for the input, but to be honest, I've already explored those options. Working on a laptop has it's downsides, even one as powerful as the one I have. I chalked up my misfortunes to an unoptimized model, or at least, one that could have had a little more optimization done at the time, but no matter, I don't mind working on smaller models, since I use Vray for rendering, and more often than not, I don't need a vast DOF either.

Fusion 360 is great with one exception, everything you do is in the cloud (except rendering, unless you have the credits for it, which costs). I use it for work related modelling, but still can't get away from SU for the hobby work...I think it's Vray that lures me back in.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Ahhhh..yep. Laptop modeling with SU is just no Bueno. Sound like you need a good PC.
    Ahhhh..yep. Laptop modeling with SU is just no Bueno. Sound like you need a good PC.

Actually, I know several people who use SU on Macbook Pros, so there is that. Yes, typically high-end modelling is done on PCs, but my system has a 9th gen intel with an RTX-2080 gpu, not too shabby, but complex modelling in SU can put a strain on it. I can't really afford a separate desktop and due to the nature of my day-to-day work, it isn't in the cards to de-mobilize myself.

Anywho, I press on.
    Another difficult model, the bathroom. So few source material to work from, so I had to improvise where I could. It's still a WIP, but this is what I've come up with so far.

xvrstry2ci81.png

agdoquhr4p3r.png
    Lizzy777FreakRory1707
  • Rory1707Rory1707232 Posts: 238Member
    Wow! This a beautiful engine room. Great attention to detail!
    shaved_ape
    A couple of new views of the larger quarters.

jvrphhj1nvdv.png

hioasjcc27s6.png
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakashleytingerRory1707
    This is nice. Very cozy!🖖🏾
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice, but with the bathroom, you need to put in the Three Shells.
    You know if we did get to see one post Demolition Man, they would have put it in as a little Easter egg.
    shaved_ape
    Freak wrote: »
    Very Nice, but with the bathroom, you need to put in the Three Shells.
    You know if we did get to see one post Demolition Man, they would have put it in as a little Easter egg.

You and I must have been on the same wavelength because I thought the same exact thing after placing the toilet and I even considered it as an easter egg.

I was also thinking about ST:First Contact as well, when Zephram Cochrane asked "don't you people in the 24th Century ever pee?

It raises a good point that the bathroom is the least viewed room on a starship, as if everyone is afraid to address it, which makes it difficult for us modelers to come up with a convincing bathroom. Think about this for a second: If a tense situation comes up and a couple of crewman have to use the toilet. So they're standing at a urinal (or for the ladies, sitting in their respective stalls), what would the conversation be like?

Ok, taking that a little too far....what about toilet paper, do you think they emboss the paper with the Starfleet logo? lol
    A friend of mine comments on the strange fabric on the bed (bad attempt at a satin texture), which as I looked at it further, looked like an oil slick. Anyways, I replaced that with a proper bedspread with the logo and added some proper dinnerware for the plate. I'll get back to the bathroom and see if I can spruce that up a bit.

48bd4jgoa91i.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777FreakRory1707
    Nice touch with the logo. These quarters look better and better with every detail you add. Can’t wait to see how you spruce up the bathroom. 🖖🏾
    shaved_ape
    Rory1707 wrote: »
    Nice touch with the logo. These quarters look better and better with every detail you add. Can’t wait to see how you spruce up the bathroom. 🖖🏾

Thank you Sir. I realize I tend to have a lot of iterations of the same scenes, but sometimes I need to render and take a step back and observe and since I'm a harsh critic of my own work, I like to put them out there for some extra feedback.

There isn't much more I can do with the bathroom, outside of adding some character to the sterile and spartan bathroom as it is, but that render will come soon.

I'll have to take some extra time to plan the larger quarters, since the non-com and junior officer's quarters are barely enough space.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    Very nice, I like the colors and the details.
    Last one for this quarters. Added a little more to the bathroom. For anyone curious, the sonic shower is an extrapolated design from several sources. The odd reflections is due to multiple panes of glass, with two different refractions and opacities.

jrmmymc2zmer.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777wolfmanFreakRory1707
    Awesome job! Love the towel rack. Nice touch!
    Final version of the two-man personal quarters. I had to adjust the size of the roomspace, and with that, some revisions to other furniture and equipment. This "cubed" design should work better for the other configured quarters now.

1y3jnvx7uliy.png

g7lkho96uioy.png

2vb3lg3i4psq.png
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiralRory1707