Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Salcombe - Star Trek Beyond

PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
I need more Kelvin timeline ships for my project, so I figured why not make a Salcombe! We don't get a good look at this thing at all in Beyond. It's seen VERY briefly in the background, but it's a really cool design. So I wanted to create a high quality VFX model that can give us a better look. Here is my roughing in of the basic hull shapes.

wlj4NJz.jpg
K19cAZm.jpg
RGdegiQ.jpg
rwug7Ig.jpg
bFthQQV.jpg
Lizzy777Zhor2395evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryJMP11Rekkertwolfman
Tagged:

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Cool! I can't wait to see more!
  • trekkitrekki935 Posts: 1,392Member
    Nice start !
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    That does look like a cool design and I really like your interpretation of it so far.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Lovely model!
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    That does look like a cool design and I really like your interpretation of it so far.

Well, I'm just going off of how it really is, but thank you.
    edited January 2020 #7
    PixelMagic wrote: »

Right, but you said yourself that you don't get a very good view of it, so you're obviously going to have to take at least a few liberties to finish a high resolution model. I haven't watched Star Trek Beyond in a while, so I can't remember how good a view of it we get, besides that screenshot you posted.

Either way, I like the design and you always do nice work. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • rojrenrojren2293 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    Reminds me of Galaxy Quest's Protector, with a saucer and less curvy nacelles.

Right, but you said yourself that you don't get a very good view of it, so you're obviously going to have to take at least a few liberties to finish a high resolution model. I haven't watched Star Trek Beyond in a while, so I can't remember how good a view of it we get, besides that screenshot you posted.

I will be taking no liberties from the film version, and I'll just leave it at that. ;)
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Haven't posted in years, but this project demands acknowledgement. Always loved what we could see of this ship in ST:Beyond and someone having a go at fleshing it out just sings to my choir, so to speak.

Sure, there's no aft, ventral view or much of the nacelles shown in the movie, but I have faith in where you'll go with this from your great work so far.

Some obviously trustworthy artistic license, following JJverse styling ques, and this beauty will be ready for a bottle of Dom Pérignon against the bow.
    I will be taking no liberties from the film version, and I'll just leave it at that. ;)

See, I know how you roll and I was just trying to get you to admit you had a reference that wasn't widely available. I'll consider that a confirmation. ;)
    PixelMagic
    edited January 2020 #12
    Just a little progress here. I hoped to have more by this point, but I am still going through the growing pains of learning to model as I do this. It took me 4-5 attempts to model the "grate" piece between the saucer split. The topology was a nightmare. Anyway, there is a bit of progress, so enjoy.

kE4p7Ua.jpg
    Ap0nu40.jpg
    I425CW0.jpg
    88rOLM8.jpg
    960C2jR.jpg
    oCTo8hz.jpg
    SDGdVJr.jpg

Post edited by PixelMagic on
    Freakevil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratorykomaroLizzy777wolfman
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like your off to a great start!
    Some TMP elements there....nice
    The Abramsverse style has a fair number of TMP references.

That's looking fantastic.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I love your lighting solution for the dome!
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180
    edited January 2020 #17
    I love your lighting solution for the dome!

Well that's actually what the geometry looks like in the Enterprise and Kelvin studio model domes, so I figured it would be the same for the Salcombe. You can even see this clearly on the Enterprise in this Korean poster for Beyond.

https://t1.daumcdn.net/cfile/tistory/215A7B3357D173800A

I see now that the detailing around the ventral sensor dome is pretty faithful to the Abramsverse Enterprise design, so "no liberties taken" as such, but, if there is access here to reference material unavailable to us mere mortals...then cool B) Always trust the instincts of an evil genius ;)
    edited February 2020 #19
    I now have all of the major hull pieces at the very least roughed in. I also have the upper saucer detail almost complete now.

ViQyGBr.jpg
    6YJxkQ0.jpg
    FSqy0mZ.jpg
    2KMdVBQ.jpg
    N5gx9al.jpg
    FOZaKiS.jpg
    ashleytingerBrandenbergRekkertevil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakMadKoiFishwolfman
    Wow, now it goes into detail.
    Nice
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Really looking great!
    edited February 2020 #22
    How about a splash of color, eh?

sd4oBPK.jpg
    Gzg43Cg.jpg
    c26dRIg.jpg
    Gumso8M.jpg
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryashleytingerRekkertLizzy777Freaklewisniven
    This is looking fantastic. I love all of the subtle details that it has.
    Very nice!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    This is probably my favorite ship of the whole Kelvin timeline, and your modeling and texturing here is looking beautiful!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Those hull panels look sweet! 👌
    Well, tonight I finally roughed in the rear underside of the secondary hull and pylons. I knew these forms would be really tricky for someone like me who isn't a veteran modeler so I kept putting it off. Nonetheless, I was able to do it. And with that, ALL forms are now roughed in. This is the general body shape. Nacelles are temporary placeholders (but accurate) by Alexander Klemm.

And yes, that is an inverted shuttlebay door.

Y13dWLU.jpg
    AclFv8B.jpg
    vBUYvUm.jpg
    P3jOWMn.jpg
    zSw3OPP.jpg

Freakevil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777wolfman
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice!
    Absolutely fantastic work. :)

Also, I'm really a big fan of this design now that I'm seeing it in all its glory. It ticks a lot of the right boxes for me as far as what I like in a ship design.
    Absolutely fantastic work. :)

Also, I'm really a big fan of this design now that I'm seeing it in all its glory. It ticks a lot of the right boxes for me as far as what I like in a ship design.

It's pretty interesting for sure. I'm still not used to the upside down shuttle bay doors, but I guess when you think about it, it could work. The platform for the shuttles would simply be on what what used to be the "ceiling" and visa versa.
    It's pretty interesting for sure. I'm still not used to the upside down shuttle bay doors, but I guess when you think about it, it could work. The platform for the shuttles would simply be on what what used to be the "ceiling" and visa versa.

Yeah, it's not something that's typically done in Star Trek, that's for sure. They have an occasional call-out to artificial gravity fields and whatnot to add realism to it, but not too many instances of something being completely flipped like that.