Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise-D Interiors

D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
You know, some days it feels like our entire community is being propped up by one, perhaps two dozen artists. Business has slowed right down to the point where one might dare to question: Is our hobby dying?

Anyway, for the past five years or so, I have been servicing my eternal adoration for Star Trek: The Next Generation by recreating the sets (and more) from that show. I appreciate that amongst the community such a project is hardly original but at least it is a project that I've remained committed to and despite the fragility of my skills and my rates of progress typically taking me an age, chapter by chapter, I have continued to press ahead with it... and I'm not done yet!

All of my output has been presented over on F3D but I have been a member of SciFi-Meshes since before the big crash of '06 and yet seldom do I ever present anything here... and I'm not all that sure why.

I love this hobby; it's something I think about often. I feel a desire to establish more of presence here.

Happy New Year! :smile:

18tu78vcsd4c.jpg
k8uejas3kkrt.jpg
9x1u4532h0xr.jpg
9joc3xg9wfoh.jpg
6q1efp5j87fp.jpg
cn08dpj67x2h.jpg
e873v3y329kh.jpg
p6iqb860694m.jpg
dxmppy1l9084.jpg
c65ir0igituu.jpg
kp3wzsv4jiyn.jpg
murjs557wxmm.jpg
wz4p1qgmujkz.jpg
75axknbxur5j.jpg
4c4ncljpnctc.jpg
1alrnbx30wd2.jpg
xz2bnf3uhy61.jpg
vuac939g18du.jpg
emd943tvsird.jpg
9hgtcbn1i2l4.jpg
v7m61guidhdi.jpg
rch19pbes88k.jpg
7nky1qr5j98w.jpg
l112lsf8eujc.jpg
40pak7yp93w7.jpg
1s5hh33298ad.jpg
688m3qze551x.jpg
gwvvj7uwsvis.jpg
2wig05hcckdh.jpg
5qhh7b4p9g6m.jpg
evil_genius_180FreakLizzy777ashleytingerRekkertBrandenbergscifiericmurbyBolianAdmiralJMP11and 1 other.

• rojrenrojren2293 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    You've been busy. Looks great.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's some really fantastic work, thanks a lot for sharing it. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Stunning work.
    I love that you modelled the area at the bottom of the Warp Core.
    merritt258StarshipVolumetrics
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Stunning images
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    absolutely awesome work, d-jota. thnx for sharing and happy new year to you too
  • trekkitrekki935 Posts: 1,392Member
    Very nice,
    I follow your work on F3D. I love it.
    Happy New Year to you too
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Oh wow! Warp Core is the bit that really stood out to me. I was aware of the section around the main engineering and the upper level from the show, but I had no idea the scope of that entire section.

This entire collection is outstanding!
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • D-JotaD-Jota390 Posts: 47Member
    edited January 2020 #9
    Freak wrote: »
    Stunning work.
    I love that you modelled the area at the bottom of the Warp Core.
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Oh wow! Warp Core is the bit that really stood out to me. I was aware of the section around the main engineering and the upper level from the show, but I had no idea the scope of that entire section.

This entire collection is outstanding!

Cheers Freak/Lizzy777 - Yeah, that one sorta snowballed! :grin: I knew that the warp core is supposed stand twelve decks tall so I was always curious to explore what you would see if you were to stand say at the base of the thing and look up (or top of the thing and look down!). Originally I was going to call it a day at just the warp core plus the most local space around the injector on deck 42; but I just kept adding stuff and adding stuff (all based on Rick Sternbach's blueprints) until I hit that "enough already" spot. - Interesting project though. :grin:

yz3hir2ni8yf.jpg
    3khi2vtydu8q.jpg

Thank you for checking in everyone and for your positive vibes! - I appreciate that.

Even though this project is really long-lived by this point, I intend to fill it to the max before calling it a day. Obviously all the standing sets will get some attention at some point but there's also a handful of single-use sets that I want to do as well. I've got a dozen concept sketches by Andy Probert archived that I'd like to have a go at, specifically the computer core services, oceanography and astrometrics (which looks like an early draft of the stella cartography from Generations). There's plenty of material in both the Next Gen. Tech Manual and Sternbach's blueprints to work from as well.

I've still got some closing rituals to perform on the living quarters that I've just finished; as for what's next, I'm seriously thinking about creating either the docking bay for the Captain's yacht or the warp core control room (ref. episode: "Eye of the Beholder").
    Post edited by D-Jota on
    ashleytingerRekkertevil_genius_180FreakLizzy777Brandenbergscifieric
  • Zhor2395Zhor2395344 MN, USAPosts: 92Member
    really amazing work
    "It's just like bumper cars...where everyone dies." ~Penny Robinson
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Beautiful work! I love how you tackled the antimatter storage area and the whole decks 40-42 section. That main shuttlebay is also great, it brings back memories. ;)
    I'll be interested in seeing how you tackle the yatch docking platform, it was an area we were actively working on Stage 9, though we didn't get very far.
    Keep it up! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Hey Rekkert! - Your Trek art has consistently blown my mind on every new project and definitely something for me to strive for (...you keep it up!). Between you and me, I'm kinda chuffed you actually checked me out and quite glad you like what you see! :grin:

Yeah that main shuttlebay was a bit of a back breaker if I'm honest; It went on for so long that it often had me wondering If I'd ever see it completed and from there, finished to the point where I could install it into Prologic9's Enterprise-D model. It all worked out in the end.

dhebqrprlz8i.jpg
    fiubejubqv7i.jpg
    hu36efc19tu3.jpg

The warp core/antimatter pod facility was also pretty heavy but I stayed on it every week without stopping for breath and so it didn't take me quite so long.

As for the docking solution for the Captain's Yacht: It's not readily obvious. I have some concept artwork (by Andy Probert) of the yacht docking with the bay so I'll be inclined to start with what I see in that image because... you know... Andy says it's like that! :lol: But at this point I'm thinking retractable latches. I'm thinking elevators, escalators and extendable gangways. - We'll see.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakZhor2395Lizzy777BrandenbergscifiericRekkertBolianAdmiralStarshipVolumetrics
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Whoah!! Holy eye candy.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is quite simply amazing work!
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Beeeeautifull work!
    edited January 2020 #16
    Man, that last shot of all three shuttlebays open is amazing, and they match up beautifully with the exterior!

I remember we had to jerry-rig our version of shuttlebay 1 by making the ceiling on Nightfever's exterior mesh taller, and then again we had to close the door before opening the other shuttlebays, as we couldn't get all the decks to load properly together. :joy:
    D-Jota wrote: »
    Between you and me, I'm kinda chuffed you actually checked me out and quite glad you like what you see! :grin:
    lol, absolutely mate, it's incredible work; and it's always a nice surprise to discover a fellow Trek interior modeler, there aren't enough of us. ;)
    Post edited by Rekkert on
    StarshipVolumetrics
    Whoah!! Holy eye candy.
    scifieric wrote: »
    This is quite simply amazing work!
    srspicer wrote: »
    Beeeeautifull work!

Thank you! :smile:

Rekkert wrote: »
    Man, that last shot of all three shuttlebays open is amazing, and they match up beautifully with the exterior!

I remember we had to jerry-rig our version of shuttlebay 1 by making the ceiling on Nightfever's exterior mesh taller, and then again we had to close the door before opening the other shuttlebays, as we couldn't get all the decks to load properly together. :joy:

...and thank you sir! :grin:

Installing the shuttlebays into Pro9's model was a pretty interesting exercise. At the point at which the interiors meet the doorways to the exterior you learn that the relationship between the two breaks down so I had to "invent" some soft mods to force the two to live together.

4vbsi4g9bn4w.jpg

There was also the inconvenient revelation that the ceiling to the main shuttlebay rolls off the further aft of the bay you go, resulting in my completed two storey model punching through the hull. The challenge at that turn was to make adjustments to the bay so as to make it fit but in a way that meant I didn't have to sacrifice too much. The original layout had been informed by the only on-screen shot of the bay we were given in the episode "Cause & Effect." It was far from ideal that the only shot of the bay that scored any seconds of screen time was the the very same part of the bay that I had to carve up, but at least I was able to preserve all the elements; nothing was wasted.

Evolution of the main shuttlebay:

References (some of):
    zkclx04vo4wc.jpg

Reproduction of the original shooting model:
    gwkuerqywdhv.jpg

Completed model based on Rick Sternbach's blueprints:
    ljifkz9m0fio.jpg

Adjusted model to fit Prologic9's Enterprise-D model:
    rh7zzrcxs423.jpg

Shall we say that took a solid year for me to complete all that? - with breaks admittedly.

Ah, I miss Stage9 so much. What it had achieved and where it was heading; it promised so much. Its shut down is a huge blow to the community and artistically speaking, it's pretty up there amongst the most broken of opportunities. I'm just glad I got the opportunity to experience it (in VR as well). The main bay actually was one of the stars of the show in my opinion.
    RekkertashleytingerLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiral
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    50dyydsixciv.jpg
    b3t3zajimdhx.jpg
    nfigonggjqi0.jpg
    wokwqcdgjoeu.jpg
    k8ccefe937ov.jpg
    51camgcqx48t.jpg
    b12sxuccwchh.jpg
    pymqioyo892m.jpg
    bjrr7jbrz5ya.jpg
    FreakBolianAdmiralStarshipVolumetrics
    Oh wow! - You've just more than doubled my archive of pics of this one. Many thanks for sharing. :smile:
  • mdtamdta390 Posts: 95Member
    D-Jota wrote: »
    Oh wow! - You've just more than doubled my archive of pics of this one. Many thanks for sharing. :smile:

I found the photos years ago, and I tend to hoard interesting things I find. The exterior hull markings are not consistent with the studio model or the re-painted Generations version, but it is the closest canonical representation of that main shuttle facility.
    StarshipVolumetrics
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    Would you consider doing a revised Voyager bridge when you have done? I do t think I've ever seen an updated/ different colour and style ever done with the Voyager bridge
    SATR - There's an almost no end in sight flavour with the project I'm doing at the moment so revising the design of Voyager's bridge just isn't on my horizon.

I bet Rekkert would give it a go though! :grin:
  • seanrseanr1097 Brooklyn, NYPosts: 594Member
    Very impressed by the work here. Especially love the lighting on the interiors (the crew quarters in particular). I will note, however, that I'm seeing segmentation on the bridge ceiling beams. ;)
    edited January 2020 #24
    seanr - Glad you like the pics. I suspect the segmentation is down to the density of polygons thinning out a little too much in the ceiling from which the cuts and extrusions had been made.

mol9cynesa4q.jpg

We shouldn't be too hard on it as it represents one of my first serious attempts at modelling something Trek (back in about 2014) and at the time, perhaps only the third... fourth... fifth modelling exercise I had ever committed to to completion.

Also if you consider the context in which that model was created:

0r5scvfvidsj.jpg
    5woop8mjhxw5.jpg

...once installed into Prologic9's Enterprise-D model, it could be argued that I might have gone a little overboard with the detail.

56d3q3wroehx.jpg

...or even a little more than overboard! :lol:
    Post edited by D-Jota on
    RekkertFreakLizzy777merritt258evil_genius_180StarshipVolumetrics
    The warp propulsion system:

I modelled the warp nacelle control room as seen in the episode: "Eye of the Beholder", so naturally that led to a need to model a set of warp coils for when the control room's main door is open. As that chapter drew to a close, I felt a desire to go off script a little and assemble the Enterprise's warp drive system; I already had the core, the antimatter pod facility. - I just needed to expand on the transfer conduits (as illustrated by the Sternbach blueprints) and recreate the large deuterium tank.

These renders are crazy big (<8K) but then it's a crazy big ship and it really is the only way to appreciate that the smaller components actually do have details that would be as good as invisible on a normal hi-def image.

Engage! ;)

gal4qg2igwc5.jpg

6iid7boy6h3q.jpg

ypudohf3az44.jpg

gyl6aaswh12k.jpg

c396up49pvh8.jpg

japyqn9jee4s.jpg
    RekkertashleytingerLizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    Holy cow, these are amazing!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,558Member
    Hot damn, that Main Shuttlebay is simply AMAZING!!!
  • ericoerico340 Posts: 6Member
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A love letter to the D! One of my favorites as well. This inspires me to post a few pics from the Nebula variant I am playing with. Your view from the observation lounge is certainly faithful to what we see on the show, but the hull of the saucer behind the observation lounge (and the ready room for that matter) should have been quite visible outside. Not something they really needed to worry about for normal, non-obsessive viewers.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    Gorgeous work. =)
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    This thread is incredible... Its not a helpful comment in any shape or form.. but i can't think of anything else to say...

I have to say the enterprise d aesthetic.. the colours etc really hold up today i think..
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Holy cow, these are amazing!
    Hot damn, that Main Shuttlebay is simply AMAZING!!!
    Gorgeous work. =)

Thanks for the positives; I really appreciate that! :)
    markmassey wrote: »
    This thread is incredible... Its not a helpful comment in any shape or form.. but i can't think of anything else to say...

I have to say the enterprise d aesthetic.. the colours etc really hold up today i think..

Thanks markmassey! - I appreciate your appreciation all the same! Yeah always loved the look of those sets, especially the bridge and main engineering; the Enterprise-D really was a chilled out looking ship! =)
    erico wrote: »
    Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. A love letter to the D! One of my favorites as well. This inspires me to post a few pics from the Nebula variant I am playing with. Your view from the observation lounge is certainly faithful to what we see on the show, but the hull of the saucer behind the observation lounge (and the ready room for that matter) should have been quite visible outside. Not something they really needed to worry about for normal, non-obsessive viewers.

Cheers erico. Well this project is as much a study model as anything else so let's take a look out of those observation room windows! =)

1p0g79qizcht.jpg

cjzrexptuyjh.jpg

Well that's one question answered. We see the sections of the saucer that are most local to the observation lounge windows but really not much else, even if you're standing on the table to look out.
    evil_genius_180StarshipVolumetrics