Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Your Enterprise is looking good.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's looking excellent so far. When you're done, you can always stretch out the body, make new nacelles and change a few other bits and markings to have a shuttle to go with your refit. :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    wrote:
    Ooooooo very nice! My fav shuttle again.
    wrote:
    Your Enterprise is looking good.
    Thanks you for both comments.

@evil_genius_180 Thanks you, Well I built the TOS shuttle and building the TNG Era shuttles, it only make sense to do a TPM era one as well.

It should not be to difficult to do, after all it was just the same set. Though I can't remember if it was built for STV fist or TNG and then modified?

edited October 2019 #95
    The shuttles were built for Star Trek V, which came out in 1989. It was a couple more years before one of them was modified for the show. If I remember correctly, the season 5 episode "Darmok" was the first to feature the Type 6.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    I forgot it was in "Darmok." I'll have to watch that again.
    Darmok is a great episode, but I don't remember seeing it in that.
    Another Excuse to go back and re-watch TNG. ;)
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Great start on the shuttle so far. The enterprise is looking top notch too. I fiddled about tweaking the shuttle shape for ages before I was happy
    I forgot it was in "Darmok." I'll have to watch that again.
    Freak wrote: »
    Darmok is a great episode, but I don't remember seeing it in that.
    Another Excuse to go back and re-watch TNG. ;)

I think they use it in one of their various attempts to get Picard back from that planet he's on.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looking great!!
    edited October 2019 #101
    lewisniven wrote: »
    Great start on the shuttle so far. The enterprise is looking top notch too. I fiddled about tweaking the shuttle shape for ages before I was happy

@lewisniven, Thanks. I found getting the main hull shape to be the easy part, it was the impulse engine house that I found the biggest pain. Spent a few days building and rebuilding it until I was happy. Still not 100% with the front half of it, I might go back and try again.
    But for the moment I am going and work on another section.

@srspicer Thanks
    Post edited by Freak on
    One thing that is bothering me, the impulse engine grills. I have created a lot of Ent. 'A' 's for various clients, as a physical model. I have a ton of Paramount supplied images, on another hard drive. The grills are set back further than you have drawn. I found a decent image on line of the filming model showing what I am talking about. Please don't miss-understand, I am not a 'nit-picker', I just know a fair amount about the filming model. Image attached.
    51d21trbldhv.jpg
    Brandenberg
    edited October 2019 #103
    @srspicer I would not take it as a Nit-Pick, but Advises.
    Your right mine are too far forward and it will be easy enough to push them back.
    Once I get back onto the PC that I that I am building this on I will correct that.
    Post edited by Freak on
    srspicer
    Back to the Enterprise.

Windows to the neck has been cut in.
    I found some issue with the torpedo section at the rear, which has now been fixed. I have also added all the details for the torpedo launchers and I have started shaping out the secondary hull.
    I have also added in the Airlock, I have used the one from the B/C Deck so that size stays constant. I am in two minds on weather to cut in the hull panels for the neck or to Texture them.

I have also made the corrections that @srspicer suggested on the impulse engines.

191102-refit-00.png

191102-refit-01.png

191102-refit-02.png

191102-refit-03.png
    lewisnivenLizzy777evil_genius_180BrandenbergD-Jota
    It's looking great. :)

I'm 90% sure the line details on the neck section of the filming model were just painted on, if that helps your decision any. You can definitely tell a difference between painted details and etched lines, and nothing on the neck looks etched.

3goq277a27ka.jpg
    Impulse engines look good!

I would say to texture the details. As @evil_genius_180 stated, most all of the surface detailing was painted on.

Torpedo area looks great!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9714 Posts: 5,302Member
    There is a horz panel line along the bottom of the neck. Another between the red lines (separation seam apparently) and I think the teal front and back have grooves between them and the hull.

As for that blue paneling I personally would cut the color changes and then texture those sections for fine detail, this avoids needing to use 15k maps to avoid the fuzzy line. But it all depends what you plan to do with it and how close you ever plan to get to it.
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Thanks Guys.

@MadKoiFish, thanks for the advise.
    I am not planning to get to close, but you never know what the future holds so I might do the cuts just to future proof this.
    She's a fine ship. Coming along.
    Freak
    Thanks
    Just a small update.

I have spent the last two days working on the rear of the secondary hull. I got most of the shape down pretty quickly.
    The biggest issue I had was with the “nibble” thing that sits at the back above the clamshell door of the hanger.
    The shaping of that was a pain to get right, it still not right at the moment but it close to how it meant to be.
    I was banging my head trying to get it right, I tired also sorts of thing but it was just not working. In the end I had to individual move each vert into place.
    As I said it closer to how it should look but it still not right and driving me a little crazy so I am going to move on and work on the front half of the secondary hull.

191109-refit-00.png

191109-refit-01.png

191109-refit-02.png

191109-refit-03.png

I will also be updating my progress on the Type 6 Shuttle soon, I just need to do a few more details to the rear before I post the next update on that.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777MadKoiFishRekkertashleytingerBrandenbergD-Jota
    Anybody who has built this ship knows that's no small update. That area is a royal pain to get right and it looks great.
    FreakBrandenberg
    Thanks Chris.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Excellent work, Dean! This is looking great!
    Freak
    Thanks Eric.
    More work on the Type 6 Shuttle.

I have cut in the windows and panels onto the side of the ship. Modelled the rear door and the impulse engines.
    I have also put in the side RCS thrusters. Still need to add some to the top and bottom, though I am not sure the shuttle built for the hanger bay set and the model used in the show actually had them.
    I have also added some simple materials for now and plan to do some proper ones. I also checked to make sure that scale on this is right.
    With the scale given I found a few issues, which have been corrected, however this dose mean that my shuttle is a little longer and not as wide. I’ll post the dimensions when I do the orthros.
    I have also include a render of the Type 15 to show the scale different between the two.

191111-00-type-6.png

191111-01-type-6.png

191111-02-type-6.png

191111-03-type-6.png

All that is now left apart from what I have mentioned is the bottom of the shuttle and the pylons connecting the nacelles.
    I also need to add the shuttle name and reg, like the type 15 I plan to model this out so saving on having to do textures.
    I also need to do a simple interior to be seen though the windows.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    Anybody who has built this ship knows that's no small update. That area is a royal pain to get right and it looks great.

When you’re right you’re right. The shuttle bay and rear are difficult.
    Freak
    Freak wrote: »
    Just a small update.

I have spent the last two days working on the rear of the secondary hull. I got most of the shape down pretty quickly.
    The biggest issue I had was with the “nibble” thing that sits at the back above the clamshell door of the hanger.
    The shaping of that was a pain to get right, it still not right at the moment but it close to how it meant to be.
    I was banging my head trying to get it right, I tired also sorts of thing but it was just not working. In the end I had to individual move each vert into place.
    As I said it closer to how it should look but it still not right and driving me a little crazy so I am going to move on and work on the front half of the secondary hull.

191109-refit-02.png

191109-refit-03.png
    Yes, that area is a headache. I have carved several physical models for clients over the years. You are 99% there. All you need do is to blend the surfaces together. There are no undercuts. If you increase the radius of the blend and angle it outward from vertical center to approx. 30º, that should do it. Line in the image shows the angle I'm talking about. Primitive, but you get the idea. Hope this helps.

lnphsqum9kty.jpg

Freak
    Thanks @srspicer that is helpful.

I am going to leave this section for the moment and work on the front of the secondary hull for the moment.
    Getting the shuttlebay to this point was driving me a little mad, so I going to take a break from it and come back and retackle it.
    Understandable.
    Looking forward to more...... B)
    Finally I have finished building the Type 6 shuttle. This took a little longer than I was planning but it is done.
    while not on the original model I have add a couple of RCS thruster to the top and bottom. (there should be some there which is why I have put them in.)
    I have also modelling a very basic interior, again I don’t plan on getting to close to see inside.
    I have also done a lighting test to see what it would like in the darkness of space.
    Finally I have also done a Render of all the shuttle I have built so far. I have not include my Type 11 which I built a few years ago as that need to be redone.

191121-00-type-6.png

191121-01-type-6.png

191121-02-type-6.png

191121-03-type-6.png

191121-04-type-6.png

Will be doing an Orthros sheet like I have done with the other and also making a few beauty picture before moving onto another shuttle.
    I think I will build the Type 7 next, though depending on how much feather I get with the TMP Enterprise I might do the TMP Type 5 shuttle.
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Brandenberg