Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Great, will be watching with anticipation!
    The original movie model enterprise is at his Blue Origins facility in Kent Washington.

u5w8v4l6gnc3.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    It has been a few weeks since I last posted an update on the Enterprise Refit build.
    Things has settled down at work and with the kids summer holidays coming to an end, I finally had sometime to sit down and get on with this build.

So with that said onto what I have done:
    Frist up, I have modelled out the ship name and reg and placed it onto the ship. Modelling out the name was easy enough, put placing it onto the ship was a pain in the arse. There was a lot of trail and error to get it right, but I got there in the end.
    Next up was modelling out the impulse engines, this went along with out any problems until I had to the panels on the top. I tired all sorts of tricks to get this right but it never did. So I had decided to go with cut out, I might go back towards the end build correct it.
    I have also add Navigation lights to the saucers. I also saw looking at the references that where the impulse engine sticks out of the saucer on the side. The cut out that go round the rim stop just before the impulse engine so I have also corrected that.

I have not textured her liked I planned. I have changed my mind and decided to get back to finishing off the ship and come back later to do the texturing.

190830-refit-00.png

190830-refit-01.png

190830-refit-02.png

190830-refit-03.png

190830-refit-04.png

190830-refit-05.png

190830-refit-06.png

190830-refit-07.png
    Lizzy777ChiefBrexscifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looks good, though you left out the periods in "U.S.S."

tmphd0358.jpg

How did you put the text on the hull? Did you shrinkwrap it? The impulse engines can definitely be a pill to get right, lots of angles. But, it looks like you got them spot on.
    scifieric
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Don't like to pick, but you spelled ENTERPRISE wrong on the side of your model.
    Freakscifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »

Not a fan of the USS ENTERRPSIE, eh?
    Freak
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ChiefBrexChiefBrex256 North CarolinaPosts: 110Member

On top of that, it's the wrong font. It's the same square letters as USS Enterprise, just without the red border. You can find that style of font on the net.

But the quality of the mesh is gorgeous.
    Freak
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    edited September 2019 #69
    Lizzy777 wrote: »

I can hear Shatner's voice actually pronouncing it that way. ;)
    Post edited by Comco on
    Lizzy777Freak
    Son of B***!! I spent hours trying to get that right!
    Tralfaz, you keep on nit-picking buddy. Your the first to notice that and I posted it in a few different places.
    LOL
    ChiefBrex wrote: »
    On top of that, it's the wrong font. It's the same square letters as USS Enterprise, just without the red border. You can find that style of font on the net.

But the quality of the mesh is gorgeous.
    Thank you.
    I though it was looking a little odd. But I am using the font my research said they used.
    As I need to redo it, I'll just remodel it out and remove the red border.
    Comco wrote: »

I can hear Shatner's voice actually pronouncing it that way. ;)
    Same here.

@evil_genius_180, I seen it with and without. As so much work into it I'm just going to leave it for now.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    Great work Freak. Good laughs all. :3
    No update on the Refit Connie build. I am currently banging my head against all with that.
    I am currently modelling the neck. As there are no decent plans on how to build it, I am having to use reference pictures. As soon as I get one bit sorted I see an issue somewhere else and correct that. I scrapped what I have built three times so far, but each version is getting closer to how it should look.

With that said, I wanted to take a break from the ship and model something nice and quick.
    This is a nice and easy project and the modelling is almost done and should be ready for textures tomorrow.
    So here is a sneak Peek, If anyone can guess what it is they win a Cookie. ;)

sneak-peek.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That's a nice looking Type-15. ;)
    Freak
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I am impressed, I did not think anyone with get it with that shot.
    You won a Cookie. ;)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Omnomnom...
    It's kinda cheating, once you model something you remember the shapes vividly (at least I do), and I modeled a Type-15 for Stage 9 some years ago.
    Anyway, looking forward to seeing the whole craft!
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    @freak: Big Jim Slade's blueprints are very accurate and he has detailed neck instructions: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/slade.php
    FreakP5ych0p4th
    Thanks Viper.
    I saw those a few years ago, but they barley showed up on the monitor I was using and never went back to them.
    They show up nicely on the one I am using now, so they are going to be very helpful.
  • tondemonaitondemonai173 Posts: 26Member
    Pretty sure the font called "Microgramma D", all caps.
    Freak
    edited September 2019 #79
    tondemonai wrote: »
    Pretty sure the font called "Microgramma D", all caps.

I used a font called finalship that got it spot on.

So the other day, I posted a sneak peek of what I am currently working on.

The outside is pretty much done, I only got a few small things left to do.
    This is not an accurate model of the one used for the show. Reason being is that I hated how sharp the edges are on that, when the reset of Starfleet ships shuttle have a are more rounded look for this era. So I just softened the edge on this I think it look much better.
    I might have to remodel the nacelles as they have kept the sharp edges of the original shuttle.
    Given the large front port on her, I think I’ll have to model and interior to go with it.

Lastly, There are no textures applied to this model it all martials. So everything you are seeing has been modelled.

all-renders.jpg
    Post edited by Freak on
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777P5ych0p4thBrandenbergscifieric
    edited October 2019 #80
    As my type 15 shuttle needs an interior I was going to pull parts off the Type 7 shuttle I build earlier in the year.
    So I imported the whole shuttle over and added a figure for scale. Now I have always know that there are issue with scaling in Star Trek.
    But I noticed a huge difference here.
    The Type 7 shuttle show in TOS always had a larger interior to the shuttle that the crew climbed into. The reason for this was that it was cheaper to make it smaller than the size it was meant to be. (when watching it on screen you always saw them ducking to get though the door and take their seats. Yet when we saw them on the inside they could stand with no issues.)
    With this is in mind it has general been agreed the scaling for this ship is a mix between the two different sets. Making the Type 7 8.5 meters long, 3.6 meters wide and 2.7 meters high which is what my model is.
    However the dimensions given for the type 15 are 3.6 meter long, 2.4 meter wide and 1.6 meters high.
    When I compared it with the Type 7 it looked way to small. Yes I know it a small shuttle but that way to small when you also add the person that I use at a height of 6 foot or 1.8 meter.
    This does not match to what was seen on screen.
    Johnathan Frakes is 6.3 in height and he is roughly as tall as the set they used.

scaling.png

This picture also helps with the scaling though I have no idea how tall the Doug Drexler is. (I that's him in the picture.)

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/type15-shuttle/shuttle15-drexler2.jpg
    (Not sure why I can't embed the picture here as it works every where else but the links works.)

So with that I have now rescaled the Type 15 to match roughly with what was seen on screen making it, 4.3 meter long, 2.7 meters wide and 1.9 meter high.
    This is what it look like after rescaling and it looks much better and realistic.

scaling-2.png
    Post edited by Freak on
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180RekkertLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergscifieric
    Welcome to the world of everything is fake. AKA, Hollywood. ;)
    P5ych0p4thFreakscifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    It's like the difference between a Surburban and a Hatchback!
    Freak
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    I was thinking an SUV and a Smart Car myself. ;)

(great, now all I'm thinking about is Arnold Schwarzenegger and that Smart Car in The Expendables 2)
    Freak
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Was curious myself ... but there isn't really any interior to speak of in those things :-D

hz8adjgdbhsf.jpg
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2011 Central OhioPosts: 1,243Member
    My Spark has more interior space and probably gets better mileage. ;)
    Freak
    P5ych0p4th wrote: »
    Was curious myself ... but there isn't really any interior to speak of in those things :-D

hz8adjgdbhsf.jpg

A couple car seats, a few panels and some consoles, probably pilfered from other stuff. But, it works in a pinch.
    Freak
    I was thinking an SUV and a Smart Car myself. ;)

(great, now all I'm thinking about is Arnold Schwarzenegger and that Smart Car in The Expendables 2)

Now all I can see is Arnie sitting in this thing. Any one got a model of him in Blender? ;)

@P5ych0p4th yeah there is not much space in there.

Not going to do much of an interior as it will not be seen. Just a the chairs, the rear console and the dash and that it.
    It not likely that it will be seen as I don't plan to have the doors open.

edited October 2019 #88
    Just a simple interior for the shuttle, as I have no plans to actually see inside except though the “windscreen”
    I am happy with the chairs, but if I was to do this properly I would have to figure out how to show the chair having a cushion on it. At present it looks a little on the hard side.

simple-inter.jpg
    Post edited by Freak on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777ashleytingerBrandenbergRekkertBolianAdmiral
    It has been some time since I posted an updated on this build. This is mainly due to life getting in the way and was unable to get onto the computer that I was building this on.

With that said onto the updates.

I started to build the neck but kept running into issues, which meant that I had to scrap what I was doing and start again.
    This is something like the tenth attempt at it where I am actually happy, Though the edges could be soften a little.
    I have also added a little detail to it like the vents and the top and bottom. I do the rest of the details soon.
    I have also built the torpedoes section of the neck as well, this went a lot smooth and I am happy with where it is at the moment.

191024-refit-00.png

191024-refit-01.png

191024-refit-02.png

Before I start to add all the details to this area, I want to block out the secondary hull first.
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777Brandenberg
    edited October 2019 #90
    I started this straight after I had finished the Type 15 shuttle.

The Modelling of the Nacelles are done, though there is one bit of detail still to add to it.
    I have also blocked out the main shape of the hull and built the impulse engine housing. I found this quite pain to get right, this was mainly due to the shape for the Air Intake? at the front.
    After a few false start I have got it to a point where I am happy with it.

00-type-6-shuttle-191025.png

01-type-6-shuttle-191025.png

02-type-6-shuttle-191025.png
    Post edited by Freak on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergLizzy777evil_genius_180lewisnivenBolianAdmiral
    Ooooooo very nice! My fav shuttle again.