Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFreak's Trek Build's

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    edited July 2019 #32
    Thanks.
    Just finished off the basic grid lines on the underside, but looking at the plans they are a few cuts out that are different. I am going to look at MKF refs as there is a tone of Photos of the model and see what are gird lines and what are cut outs, then carry on with it.

But before I do that as I am still working only on a quarter of the saucer. I can add the details for the side (the three sets of ribs.) and put in the RCS Thrusters and the Phaser Turrets.

Then I can finish detailing the bottom half of the saucer add in the Windows, Impulse engine and the Airlocks. Unless I have missed something call the saucer done on the modelling side of things.
    Post edited by Freak on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    The new lines look great, bro. :)
    Freak wrote: »
    If you have a better way to do it I am all ears.

Nope, I was just curious. Like lewisniven said, there's no right or wrong way to do it.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    edited July 2019 #34
    To note NEVER cut or extrude on existing edges. NEVER it will cause faceting in your renders as the smoothing algorythem cannot judge the edge is not the end of the curve. Always cut/extrude edges panels etc in a FLAT spot between geometry changing edges faces or verts. Sometimes you cannot avoid it and have to play around. It is worse in programs that do not offer smoothing groups or user selected smoothing ID.

Saucers and grids I would work them so each panel grid falls BETWEEN each radiating edge. Lateral edges are not as important unless it is across a lateral changing curvature. If the cuts are not even it can lead to inconsistent smoothing this can be used to effect tighter curves with edgeloops on non subdiv surfaces.

Images to illustrate.
    plating-01.jpg?w=300
    plating-02.jpg?w=300
    drag and drop and remove the ?w=300 to see full size.
    extrusions-tut.png?w=300
    this one is a extrusion tut but it also shows how smoothing is affected. This is not application dependent.

Also flatter the object or the more relaxed a curve is the less it is evident. Also adding tonnes of polys will eliminate it but then your wasting resources as you'll need to spin a edge count saucer in the hundreds.

ATM your saucer is not showing this so no worries just keep it in mind in the future. (not even sure if you did heh) But yeah you'll need to do math on the grids every time as keeping things even makes for easy work later like all those release decals on some ships (nxo1) etc.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    lewisnivenGuerrillaLizzy777Freak
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Thanks for the info Dan.
    edited July 2019 #36
    I have model out the Phaser turrets. The ones on the filming model was just a ball with a hole in it.
    So I have added a bit of details to mine. They have all placed into the correct position.
    I have also modelled the RCS thrusters. Again the filming model was lacking in details on this and I am not sure if I should add a bit more details to mine or just leave it as it is.
    Finally I have added the cuts-outs to the rim of the saucer.

190708-refit-00.png

190708-refit-01.png

190708-refit-02.png

190708-refit-03.png

Things left to do on the saucer.
    1. Finished of the grid lines and cuts out to the lower saucer.
    2. Cut in the windows.
    3. Model and add the Airlock to the rim of the saucer.
    4. Model the Impulse Engines.
    5. Model ship name.
    6. Texture.
    Post edited by Freak on
    McCashleytingerBrandenbergevil_genius_180Lizzy777D-Jota
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972320 Posts: 1,201Member
    This is looking awesome. If you feel the added details make sense and don't take away from the overall thing, then go for it.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    This is really looking amazing. Excellent work.
    I really like the way you did the emitters. The nozzles are reminiscent of the Type 2 hand phasers from TOS. :)
    Thanks guys.

I plan on finishing of the grid lines and cuts out to the lower saucer this week. But not much more than that, as I off to see the British F1 GP at Silverstone this weekend.

I want to get at least 3 of the 6 tasks done before I post the next update. So expect something in about two weeks.
    Okay, I have finished off the grid on the under side of the source and cut in the windows that are mirror.
    But before I apply the mirror modifier to cut in the rest of the windows, I was going to do the airlock on the source.
    I was looking at the reference photos of the filming model and noticed that there is not an airlock on both sides.
    Was this done as they planned to only film the ship form one side like they did in TOS (Even though they did film it from both sides for TMP.) and leave the detail off or was this done on purpose?

If anyone know the answer I would be grateful so that I apply it both side or just one.

Update picture will be coming soon.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    I suppose the airlock has been added afterwards for the drydock ramp to connect.
    edited July 2019 #43
    I think nightfever might be right, it may have been added later specifically to dock with the drydock. That doesn't make it unintentional, as they could have added one to the other side when doing that. But, that's the only time it's ever used. Though, the docking ports on that ship aren't used on screen after ST2. Still, it's only on the port side on the studio model and they replicated that on the Reliant. If you want to stick with canon, that's the way to go. If canon doesn't matter as much to you, do it how you want to do it. ;) I've seen models where people have put them on both sides and it still looks good.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Logical speaking it would make sense to have it on both side of the ship.
    What if you needed to dock with another ship? If the airlock was just on the port side of the ship, it would cause issues like both ships having to face the each other.
    Also if the airlock became damaged and could not be used, then you would not be able to dock making it useless and crew would need to use the transporters or shuttles until it was repaired.

Also why would a Spacedock only have gantries on one side? it wouldn't they would have it on both side to make loading and unloading quicker and easier.

If you look at Airports in our own world it the same thing. They mainly only use the same side at each airport, but the gate next to the one the plane parked at, gantries can be swing round to connect to the plane so two gates can be used for one plane.

So from a logical standpoint, I think I am going to have it on both sides.
    Venturing out of canon. Going by the book "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise," it's not even a standard airlock, it's a specially designed one specifically for connecting to a gangway (jet bridge) style connector. That's why it's shaped differently. It's not used for docking with other ships, shuttles or anything else, just for docking with space stations. Now, does this make sense? Not really. It makes more sense to have a standard connector and have the station ready to dock with that style of connector, such as we saw with the Enterprise-D in TNG in the episode "11001001."

So, realistically, that hatch actually makes little sense, especially given the large number of standard docking ports all over the ship. There are at least 3 in the saucer, 2 in the "neck" and 2 in the engineering section.
    Freak wrote: »
    So from a logical standpoint, I think I am going to have it on both sides.

Sounds logical to me. :)
    Your right about have a standard Airlock, but as this is oversized, I going to take a guess that it leads to a double level Cargo bay. (As seen in Voyager episode Scorpion part 2.) So items that would not be able to fit though a normal airlock would also fit thought here. But also something that is smaller that it does not need a workbee to bring it aboard from one of the other outer cargo bay hatches that have been seen.

The Space station we seen her docked at are huge, so they would likely have the fabled Grand Hallway that was meant to be on the Galaxy Class (something Gene Rodenberry wanted but to budget reasons was never built for the show.)
  • ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
    I did mine on only one side. All the iterations of this ship had it on only one side. I also did some work on figuring out how the saucer should be layout near the rim. The way the windows are positioned two decks won't work. It's better to have rooms that are two decks high. The position of the airlock means the door is in the middle height of those rooms. I'm going to design an entrance area for that airlock with stairs or ramps to the deck above. I also figured it should be a personnel only entrance. Cargo should really be handled via the hangar as moving containers via the corridors is tricky, even though they do fit.

I can show some diagrams if you want to discuss this further :)
    edited July 2019 #48
    Lovely work. I suddenly figured out what your phaser emitters reminded me of. The overhead air adjustment on a commercial airliner. They look great.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    @Viper, I gone with keeping it Cannon for now, but I would love to see the diagrams. I could still put it on both sides.

@Brandenberg, that was mention somewhere else. I also noticed it after I had put them in place. ;)
    It’s been two weeks since I posted an update on this build.
    I not had much time to work on this project, due to work, home life and going to Silverstone last weekend for the British F1 GP.
    But I did manage to get three of the six tasking left to do on the source section.
    So I managed to finish off the lower source grid lines before going to Silverstone. Since coming back I got the windows cut in and do the Airlock on the rim of the source.
    I was thinking of putting the airlock on both sides for logical reasons, unlike on the filming model which is only on one side.
    Look at the filming model it look like it was added on for Star Trek III The Search for Spock, when the ship is in spacedock. However I have kept with the just the one, but it will not take much to add it to both sides.
    With that here are the recent render showing off the work done.

190721-refit-00.png

190721-refit-01.png

190721-refit-02.png

190721-refit-03.png

190721-refit-04.png

Work on this will be a little slow for the next few weeks, as the Kids are now on Summer Hols.
    I am also working on another 2D project, which currently needs to take priority as I need to have it done before the 7th of August. (This is for my Step-Brothers Birthday.)

Things let to do on the saucer.
    1.Finished of the grid lines and cuts out to the lower saucer.
    2. Cut in the windows.
    3. Model and add the Airlock to the rim of the saucer.
    4. Model the Impulse Engines.
    5. Model ship name.
    6. Texture.
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergD-Jota
    edited July 2019 #51
    Looks good, Dean.

They may have added a starboard airlock, but I don't believe it was for Star Trek III. I've only seen depictions of it with that as the Enterprise-A. These shots clearly show it without one:

tsfshd0159.jpg?w=800

tsfshd1066.jpg?w=800

You can definitely see the writing on the hull on the starboard side when the ship rolls out of Spacedock in the next film:

tvhhd2274.jpg?w=800

I know they had to do a lot of work to the model for the end of Star Trek IV. It wasn't expected to be used again, so it wasn't treated well after ST3. They had to basically restore the ship. Maybe someone decided then that it needed another airlock.
    Well it been over a decade since I last watch ST:III.
    I should really site down and re-watch them all.
    edited July 2019 #53
    It's been a few months for me. I think I stopped at TVH, though. I may need to pull the Blu-Ray box set back out. B)

From what I've read, the model was in bad shape after TSFS. Apparently, nobody anticipated ever using it again, after the ship was destroyed. As such, the stick-on damage was still on there when they pulled it out for TVH. That stuff was apparently a pain to remove, so the ship had to be repainted. That's probably why they suddenly have stuff where it wasn't before, aside from adding "-A" to all the markings. ;)
    Makes sense. Fortunately in the real world a repaired ship would look different from the original anyway.
    Well, the Enteprise-A was a totally different ship anyway. Different ship, slightly different options.

I believe the "official" background story was that it was the Yorktown, which was a brand new ship that had just launched from Spacedock when it was disabled by the probe in Star Trek IV. Its captain was the one saying the chief engineer was trying to deploy a makeshift solar sail to keep them alive. The story is that the crew all died, but the ship was salvaged and pulled back into dock after the probe left. Then, due to Kirk and his crew's heroic efforts, it was re-commissioned as the Enterprise. I think that story originated with Gene Roddenberry. Even though he had little involvement with the actual film, it seems like a likely scenario.
    Yeah in Cannon the Ent-A was the Yorktown and then recommission the Enterprise.
    Even though the ship had been just built/ refitted and was in such a mess when Enterprise crew took over is stated by Chris.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    The marquee is there on the right side but there is nothing there besides on the A variant.

enterprise_beauty.jpg
    at auction
    img_1812.jpg
    this text was not there as EG points out prior to st4

evil_genius_180Freakashleytinger
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Does anyone know who bought the Enterprise-A model at Christie's auction?
  • ViperViper1677 Posts: 716Administrator
    Does anyone know who bought the Enterprise-A model at Christie's auction?

Jeff Bezos bought and displays it on one of the Amazon offices.
    Boy would I love to see that. Is there a photo online? I'm sure it is in a glass case. I hope it goes to the Smithsonian in his will.
    Boy would I love to see that. Is there a photo online? I'm sure it is in a glass case. I hope it goes to the Smithsonian in his will.

Lets hope that happens, and does not just disappear never to be seen again.

Updates on my build is a little slow at the moment. Not really had the time to work on it.
    I am currently putting the reg and "Starship Enterprise United Federation of Planets" onto her. I not textureing that in and modelling it all.
    some of it going on with no problems, but the bit on top and bottom of the saucer are taking longer to do than expected.
    Reason for this is the grid lines. Where the Reg sits over them it look like it floating, so I am having to remodel parts of it to sit properly onto the hull. It would have been easier to texture it on. LOL

Anyway once I have finished that, I will be moving onto the Impulse Engine.
    Hoping to have an update by the end of the week.