Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Cutting out Windows can be a pain in the arse and take time with the clean up.
    But once done it well worth it!
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Windows are all in on the catamarans now, what a mission that was. Need to redo the top panels now but that's not a huge job.

dtjdf3vxh24o.png
    Lizzy777McCevil_genius_180
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Looks good. I see a greeble much like the one on the catamarans on NX-01 (You colored it brown). I can't wait to see the completed ship.
    lewisniven
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great. I can only imagine the pain of putting windows into such a curved piece.
    I see a greeble much like the one on the catamarans on NX-01 (You colored it brown).

That was one of the complaints about the NX-01. Not only was the design obviously heavily inspired by the Akira, but it even has some of the same greebles, including that one.
    lewisniven
    edited June 2019 #66
    New top panels, which still aren't right so I'll be doing those again. Plus a window I've added on the bottom, not strictly canon but I like it...

ya5cq9kpui9i.png
    q63ya77xrhja.png
    o1p27tkwfi5r.png

Post edited by lewisniven on
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777Freakscifieric
    I like it too. Adding personal touches to any ship is always a good thing.
    lewisnivenscifieric
    I like it too. Adding personal touches to any ship is always a good thing.

Totally agree!
    lewisnivenscifieric
    An amazing job on a difficult mesh. Two thumbs up.
    lewisniven
    An amazing job on a difficult mesh. Two thumbs up.

Thanks, appreciate it :).

Slower going on the updates, I'm working through the windows on the underside now. There are ways of doing this with shrinkwrap and such like but I want to ensure that I get absolutely no distortion in the window shape/sizes. basical work flow for this is to create a complete array of windows aligned orthographically, then delete all the ones I dont want. After than I move them in and rotate them to sit perfectly perpenidcular to the hull, so the cut properly. I'm using a large plane to align each window so they're all in line along what would be a deck. It's a bit time consuming but it seems to yield good results.

baa244z1ywfw.png
    4v7ltcpjpnul.png
    Lizzy777Chlorelevil_genius_180scifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    Ah yes, the joys of object alignment. Fun if you have a snap tool (or your software-based equivlent). And even more so when it actually works the way you want it!
    lewisniven
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    edited June 2019 #72
    Finally got the windows cut, and started adding detail to the inside of the nacelles. Also added the phaser strips to the underside of the saucer.

zlxuqv4uwcxb.png
    ashleytingerChlorelLizzy777Rekkertevil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergscifieric
    That looks awesome. My hat's off to you just for getting the windows cut into those odd shapes.
    lewisniven
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great work on those shapes, and I love the further refinements you did to the underbelly.
    lewisniven
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Cutting windows can be right pain.
    But this has turned out very nicely.
    lewisniven
    Man that's really come alive underneith. This seems to be the best model of the Akira I have ever seen.
    lewisniven
    Man that's really come alive underneith. This seems to be the best model of the Akira I have ever seen.
    Very kind of you to say, thanks!

Finally got the impulse engines in, some more panelling done, and a few other detail bits dotted about;

ae5o5v5s8wgy.png

Lizzy777FreakashleytingerBrandenbergscifieric
    Impulse engines look great.
    lewisniven
    Yeah very real.
    Had a change up on the lighting and sorted everything out to be more physically accurate, also reworked the delfector lighting. Saucer detailing is more or less done now. Impulse engines also in on the rear of the saucer. More panel work as usual, so many panels!

b7czmjzkns4o.png
    n44o9fpzq1dv.png

ashleytingerLizzy777Brandenbergevil_genius_180FreakscifiericMcC
    Oh baby! Great job.
    Nice.
    Are you cutting the panels into the original meshes or are they new objects?
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice.
    Are you cutting the panels into the original meshes or are they new objects?

For most of them I'm using a flat plane and then a 'Simple Subsurf, Shrinkwrap, Solidify, Bevel' modifier stack on them so I can tweak the shape later on. The ones on the saucer were done by duplicating the underlying geometry from the saucer, seperating it, and then extruding off that, so they're more locked in but that's fine for those.

scifieric
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Thanks for cluing us in on how you are doing this.

Superior work! And as the original used in First Contact was rather low poly, this is looking FAR and AWAY better than the original. Beautiful work!
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Beautiful work, I love the two tone deflector dish!
    lewisniven
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Beautiful!
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    Awesome job. Can you give us a wireframe of the area around the windows, I'm interested to see how it looks.
    I14R10 wrote: »
    Awesome job. Can you give us a wireframe of the area around the windows, I'm interested to see how it looks.

Sure, these are the windows on the top of the saucer:
    bdrg8d6p65fb.png

and theres are the ones on the side of the catamarans:
    x58iqvmkspjd.png

I14R10evil_genius_180
  • I14R10I14R1070 Posts: 140Member
    Cool. I thought you were using meshsmooth/ subdivision surface. Windows are a real pain if you are using meshsmooth.
    I14R10 wrote: »
    Cool. I thought you were using meshsmooth/ subdivision surface. Windows are a real pain if you are using meshsmooth.

Nah I froze the subdivision in before I started bolleaning the windows in. Trying to do it all in sibdiv would be stupidly hard and un-needed really.
    I14R10
    edited June 2019 #91
    Started on the escape pods. I've been fretting about how to tackle these for a while, weather to make then stand proud of the hull or be perfectly flush like Ent-E. In the end I went for a compromise, they sit ever so lightly higher than the hull surface, with a recess around them just to make them look a bit less randomly stuck on.

Lit windows done the cheat way by adding emission to the glass. I'll do proper lit interiors later down the road:

md6lcmkdhjef.png
    Chlorelashleytingerevil_genius_180McCJMP11FreakBrandenbergscifieric